1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the point of attacking in this game????

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Pumabear, May 2, 2011.

1. thecaesar

thecaesar Will appear randomly

well, it's not like barbs are always a bad thing. If you have a really inexperienced army, you can train them by fighting the not-too-bright and unadvanced barbs that pop up by you. This is what I do all the time, and usually gives me an edge (however small) in any later wars. Another advantage of barbs being all around you is that the AI won't settle there as quickly! :lol:

I digress, though... I was wondering, can a human capitulate to an AI? My brother was playing a game where everyone beelined religions instantly and so there was like 2 christians, 4 Jewish, 2 hindus, and 4 buddhists. Then my brother (christian) took and razed the jewish holy city, and all three other jewish people (as well as a buddhist and a hindu) declared war on him at the same time. So, him not being the militaristic type, he asked me what to do. I said that there was no way he was winning that war, so he should capitulate. But that's not in any of the diplo screens (actually, none of the jewish people would even talk to him. :lol: they were pretty ticked!) So can a player capitulate to an AI?

2. The7Sins

The7Sins Hungry Burger

A human can never become a Vassal of any kind in single player games.

However I do not know about in multiplayer so you'd have to ask someone who plays them to know if in them you can become a vassal of another human or an AI.

3. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

@ theceasar...and totally off topic.

Your sig is the best philosophy

4. backthief

backthief Chieftain

Thats actually a good point i never thought about it. I am always on a settle rush early ingame before the AIs get all the land, and usually play with Barbs off.

Could this be the reason? By playing with barbs, does AI get a hard time as well with them? And Agressive Barbs, will it effect even more?

5. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

It's always a settle rush in the early game. I don't think barbs off would change that, although if you can get the Great Wall the AI is more hampered by the barbs than you are. Heavy barbs do slow everybody's settling slightly.

With raging barbs, you can usually set it up so the AI gets hurt worse, either by spawnbusting or the Great Wall. Also, with more Barb cities some of them will be adequately placed, so you can expand with Axemen. Which also keeps your military up.

6. unscratchedfoot

unscratchedfoot War is a good thing.

It's lame that you need to rely on cheese to force the AI not to be too gay. :crazyeye:

7. yuchai

yuchai Chieftain

I didn't use to hate the vassal system, until this happened to me recently.

I declare on Charlie and move my stack right next to his border city. I hit end turn. On the SAME TURN, he suicides a number of units on my stack, AND peace vassals to Suleiman, bringing the powerful Persians into the war. War did not go well for me from that point on, and I decide to reload.

I thought a bit about it, and reasoned that because Charlie and Suleiman had been friends (pleased/friendly with each other), it made sense that Charlie would vassal to Suleiman for protection. I decide to attack Louis instead this time. The French had a religion of their own and their relations are not good with most of the world. I attack and check every turn to make sure that he's not willing to capitulate to me. Guess what? After I took 2-3 cities he also peacevassaled to Suleiman.

Ugh...........

8. thecaesar

thecaesar Will appear randomly

:lol: yeah, I love douglas adams, he's my favorite author. Too bad he didn't write more books...

9. Pumabear

Pumabear Chieftain

And what will they do with all the units they build? Probably just run in with them against an enemy one at a time and die.

And they will give that tech to me for free?

10. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Chieftain

nope, but they will always be OK to trade with you.

11. Pumabear

Pumabear Chieftain

To trade techs I don't need a vassal. Most civs will trade techs with me anyway.

I don't think you can say that you get all their research points when you have to trade for it.

12. illram

illram Moderator Moderator

Take what you want and then make them your vassal before someone else does.

Once you do it enough you begin to get an idea as to when the AI will usually capitulate. Usually it's after you take their capital, or if not, whatever their second capital is. This varies depending on the leader and how much that civ hates you, as well as other variables such as your power rating vs. theirs, and so on. Sometimes if you are just absolutely dominant in your power rating they will capitulate very quickly.

There is a formula, it's in the forums somewhere.

13. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

Sort of. On Settler they all trade, but above that a number of them are very selective, often waiting until half the world knows a tech. Vassals trade more readily and I like to try to get one other Civ to Friendly where most trading restrictions don't apply. It's true you don't need a vassal, but you do need friends. And vassals are forced to be your friend.

To argue against myself, having a vassal may impede your ability to make other friends.

It could be argued you might get more than all their research points. They will pay less maintenance for that city than you will, generally, so their research points from that city might be slightly better than yours (esp. if on another continent).

14. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Chieftain

Happened to me a few times, but that makes sense in a strategic PoW. I once had Pacal peace vassaling to Shaka in the midst of a war. What I did was I captured as many good land as I could before Shaka's SoD arrived and then sued for peace (gave Shaka the Theology tech). Then for the next 50 or so turns, I focused military, DoW on Shaka, and capitulated both him and Pacal.

The moral of this is that it's not the end of the world if your victim has peace-vassaled to someone else.

15. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Chieftain

Vassals give you a global boost on happiness. Well-positioned vassals can also serve as buffer zones (so that an enemy SoD will target a vassal's city first than your's).

In rare cases, vassals can also be good war-allies and can gobble up cities you don't want to take (but want the cultural influence silenced). I've once had Kublai Khan single-handedly wiping out Ragnar for me.

16. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

I like vassals and readily take them. They have many uses - happiness is nice and I don't notice much of an increase in city maintenance. Some of them make excellent attack dogs - Kublai isn't even usually a top attack dog. I remember one story where somebody vassalized Shaka, used him as a Pit Bull and Shaka did so well he won the game.

It is important to guid their research and they're good for tech trading. I usually get my vassals up to Friendly so they don't want to desert me. I've never had one break free, even peace vassals.

17. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

18. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

19. The7Sins

The7Sins Hungry Burger

That is why I prefer to Vassalize Monty and Genghis instead of Shaka. They tough great attack dogs rarely get enough land to break free mainly due to there habits of razing any non cap they take. Genghis especially is guilty of this a lot.