1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the point of Friendship?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bluedogz, Sep 26, 2017.

1. bluedogz

bluedogz Chieftain

That's it- what do I get if another Civ wants to be my friend?

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Chieftain

1. You can't declare war on each other. I actually find this a hindrance early in the game. The AI will sometimes ask for a Declaration of Friendship right before settling a city right in your face, or declaring war on someone else nearby. But it goes both ways: If I'm planning to attack one neighbor, I may make a DoF with the others, just to prevent a surprise attack.

2. You can sign Research Agreements. I don't know if you need a Declaration of Friendship to declare a joint war.

3. You get positive diplomatic modifiers with anyone who likes the civ you're declaring friendship with, and negative points with anyone who hates them. Keep in mind, the latter is not necessarily a bad thing. If you're trying to goad a target into declaring war on you (to minimize the warmonger penalties), declaring friendship with their worst enemy can help drive down their opinion of you.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  3. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

They won't attack you while friendship is active, that's about it. A bit of a double-edged sword, but I tend to use that in the early game to win the time and position for a first strike at my neighbor.

It's also required for further stuff like alliance (not that you can get one in the current version anyway though :D ).

You don't need to be friends for a Joint War though, you may be on the verge of denouncing each other even.

Well, and there are some extra benefits for being friends with Gilgamesh (or being friends with others if you are him).

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

The AI loves early friendship so you can't steal their settlers.

KumaChan and MisterBoomBoom like this.
  5. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

You also can't denounce each other. When denounced trade deals are much worse and open borders aren't available.

So sometimes I will declare friendship before attacking someone else; to delay being denounced. Basically, get all the good deals in first.

6. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

You know that place by the other place...
    That is a deeply philosophical question.

7. jbavon

jbavon Chieftain

Better trade deals

8. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

It's a non-aggression pact. The AI will like you for it but you may regret letting them expand peacefully. In the meantime you can send trade routes and missionaries worry-free.

9. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

It is a bond between two people, biologically some may say that it is a function the we developed to help us survive and to work better in groups, or even to make the process of passing on genetic material easier, sociologically it is about creating a bond that at its core is about sharing mutual experiences, confidences, and maybe a little join stupidity.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Chieftain

Yeah, it sounds like someone doesn't believe in the magic of friendship. :shake:

11. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

Friendships are fun in multiplayer team matches. once a dude declared freindship with me forgetting that you can't declare war, so his teammate was unable to declare war to my teammate. we laughed so hard.

Victoria likes this.
  12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

As long as it's an inner join.

PrairieDad and bite like this.
  13. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

I wonder if we were in the same game.... the exact same thing happened to me.

14. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

probably not, it was a private game with some friends. i used the term "some dude" to avoid confusion. "a friend of mine declared friendship with me" wouldn't have sounded very logical, would it? :crazyeye:

Scaramanga likes this.
  15. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

I also took advantage of this when my teammate quit and was replaced by an AI. For some reason another human with a powerful army accepted friendship from the AI, then couldn't do anything about my expansion in his direction.

16. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

You get the benefit of letting them forward settle you with impunity.

In addition, you get the benefit of pretending that friendship actually means something in Civ 6 and war is not the best solution for everything~

Seriously though, don't ever make friends ever. They'll do it so they can freely do horrible backstabbing things like conquer your city state allies.

17. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

C'mon, on any start where you are boxed in by multiple AIs strategic use of DoFs is a good option. Conquering one neighbors with the knowledge that Gilgamesh or Montezuma won't attack you when they are at the peak of their power, while they are building an empire for you all the while, is a very good thing.

18. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

Friends... what are they good for? Absolutely nothing! Listen to me! Say it again!

... all due apologies to Edwin Starr

19. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

It's a bit like dating, finding someone who is compatible with your agenda and won't grow too big for you or vice versa. Then you can get a civil servant to marry you into an alliance. If you get a research agreement you have real chemistry.

Pythakoreas, Reckoner and Rosty K like this.
  20. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

Yeah, it's a bit too good, actually. Especially in early-to-mid-game where things can change fast, a couple of consecutive friendships with a neighbour can leave you too much at peace to do whatever you like elsewhere.