what's the point of iniquisitors?

OsmarChito

Warlord
if you don't create them, what would happen if a rival civilization's religion starts to spread to your cities. i mean it gives some bonuses to your cities ...so what's the disadvantage of it?

I'm not sure if follower beliefs apply if the religion is not your state religion.

But even if they do, you'll generally be using inquisitors to stop your rivals having any bonuses. As well as stopping them getting extra money from founder beliefs like Tithe, you also want to avoid them having a combat advantage near your cities as they "liberate" their oppressed co-believers (see the Just War Enhancer belief).

if you don't create them, what would happen if a rival civilization's religion starts to spread to your cities. i mean it gives some bonuses to your cities ...so what's the disadvantage of it?
The first disadvantage is that it gives the bonus to the religion's founder (which you don't receive).

Next to that the foreign religion will compete with your own religion for followers, every population point in a city can only follow one religion.

So there are some things to say to stop a foreign religion spreading in your nation (and maybe even spreading 'through' your nation to neighbouring nations).

There can be only one dominant religion in a city; if its yours, you get the founder and follower bonuses of that religion. If it's not, you only get the follower bonuses. (I think you also get the Pantheon and Enhancer bonuses either way, but that a lot of those ones simply improve the spread of the religion itself).

If you don't want a rival civ to recieve certain bonusses you should limit their religion by purging it from your (and other civ's?) cities. It will also have diplomatic consequences. You might not want a rival to have good diplomatic relationships with other civs. Best way to achieve this is to make sure those other civs don't follow the religion of your rival.

The best thing about inquistors is that they will help roleplaying medieval Europe especially Spain. :p

There can be only one dominant religion in a city; if its yours, you get the founder and follower bonuses of that religion. If it's not, you only get the follower bonuses. (I think you also get the Pantheon and Enhancer bonuses either way, but that a lot of those ones simply improve the spread of the religion itself).

In the case of the OP, he specifically asks if he didn't found a Religion. He won't be getting the Founder Belief either way, as only the player who founded the Religion gets that bonus.

It's indeed true that if you founded a Religion, you may be putting Inquisitors to more use. Or if your opponent is spreading "Just War" into your cities so s/he can attack you.

If you are the one that founded religion, your bonuses will slowly decrease as rival religion begins to spread to your and other's cities.

If you do not found a religion, then I guess it's up to you, but you could control which bonuses you recieve.

In the case of the OP, he specifically asks if he didn't found a Religion.

It's indeed true that if you founded a Religion, you may be putting Inquisitors to more use. Or if your opponent is spreading "Just War" into your cities so s/he can attack you.

OP could have meant if you didn't make inquisitors, hard to say.

Agreed if you don't have a religion, you probably won't mind as much about religion spread, but then again, you may want to stamp out one religion to let a different one spread from a third civ spread instead. And yeah, stuff like "Just War" is a good point; hopefully even the AI will be smart enough to know the following a religion with "Just War" is more risky. That or just plain old not liking the civ that is spreading that religion.

There are also a number of Beliefs that depend on the number of followers in a city, for example:
Choral Music: Temples provide +2 Culture in Cities with 5 followers
Religious Center: Temples provide +2 Happiness in cities with 5 followers

It's easier to get 5 followers for your religion if those people aren't already following a different religion.

OP could have meant if you didn't make inquisitors, hard to say.

Agreed if you don't have a religion, you probably won't mind as much about religion spread, but then again, you may want to stamp out one religion to let a different one spread from a third civ spread instead. And yeah, stuff like "Just War" is a good point; hopefully even the AI will be smart enough to know the following a religion with "Just War" is more risky. That or just plain old not liking the civ that is spreading that religion.

I think that will certainly be the case. Since religion will have a decent amount of influence, you'd generally prefer recieving the religion of a civ you want to be friendly with.

Also, if you're conquering new cities with many followers of a religion different from your current one (regardoess wheter you founded it or not). Then you'd possibly want inquisitors on standby as soon as you conquer a new city.

So all in all, civs without a founded religion might be putting as much effort into building inquisitors as civ who does have a founded religion.

I'm guessing that if there are 2 or more religions in your cities,you can only receive the Follower/Enhancer belief bonus of that one who has more followers . What I do wonder is how "Free Religion","Theocracy" and "Rationalism" would work in such cases .

I'm guessing that if there are 2 or more religions in your cities,you can only receive the Follower/Enhancer belief bonus of that one who has more followers . What I do wonder is how "Free Religion","Theocracy" and "Rationalism" would work in such cases .

iirc follower bonuses stack.

Some founder beliefs only provide a bonus after a certain population threshold is met, so in theory one can use inquisitors to reduce that amount

I wonder how aware we will be to all the religions’ beliefs. If we don’t get the opportunity to found a religion, will we at least be able to go into the religion interface and see the beliefs of the religions that other civs founded? If we can and there is a religion that has beliefs that are more preferable to our endgame goals, we can use inquisitors to eradicate the other religions that spread to our cities to ensure the one we desire thrives.

I wonder how aware we will be to all the religions’ beliefs. If we don’t get the opportunity to found a religion, will we at least be able to go into the religion interface and see the beliefs of the religions that other civs founded? If we can and there is a religion that has beliefs that are more preferable to our endgame goals, we can use inquisitors to eradicate the other religions that spread to our cities to ensure the one we desire thrives.

I hope you can keep track of that as well, so that you can see which Beliefs have been taken from the pool.

I also hope there are notifications when religions are founded and cities' religious orientations are flipped.

In some screens there is a Religion overview window (just like Diplomacy overview) which shows what Religion, where and by which Civ was founded. I assume there is a tab that shows the Beliefs of all religions in game - otherwise it would be pointless.

Top Bottom