1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the point of points, or are they pointless?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by thecrazyscot, Aug 18, 2017.

1. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Were they just a feature that came along with the new forum software or was there are particular point in their creation? Are they supposed to serve a different purpose from the number of "likes" someone has?

And as a side point, I'm unreasonably annoyed that they add up to 113. What's the point of such a strange number?

Yes, I know this is a patently silly thing to talk about, but I'm looking for pointers as to why they're a thing.

I'm sorry I couldn't resist one last one.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Ask the admins. It's an individual forum thing, because over on TrekBBS I've got 1,060 points, which will increase to 1560 points in a few days when my rank gets bumped up to Admiral. To give an idea of how arbitrary all this is, it takes 8000 posts to make it to Admiral there. I've been slogging away for 10 years to get to this point.

They might be able to tweak things here a bit - change the default categories, add some stuff, maybe... that said, I'd rather have Impact and Comic Sans added to the font menu.

3. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

The system is part of the xenForo software. What you see is the default system, just checked and it can be modified. There are several ways to implement the system, but no one has complained so we haven't really payed any attention to it as far as I know. It seems like it is meant as a system to measure a user's activity on the forum, to achieve with greater activity.

I think TrekBBS must use number of messages as a source of achievement, it is an option in the system.

Sorry you are irritated by the system.

4. Valka D'Ur

I'm not irritated by it; it's fun to see what's coming next - a trophy for something-or-other, or a cheerful note of some kind. It doesn't mean as much to the people with thousands of likes or whose post count has passed all reasonable bounds (there are some people there whose post count is well over 100,000), but I'm far enough down the totem pole to still find that sort of thing fun.

If you can tweak it here, it could be a way to surprise people (in a good, encouraging way). A cheerful little "extra" can really brighten a person's day if they're having a not-so-good one.

I think the OP mentioned being irritated that here the points add up to a strange number. If you tweaked that a little, they would add up to something else, and he should no longer be irritated. ;)

5. leif erikson

6. Valka D'Ur

No problem. My suggestions remain, however.

I would really appreciate if we could have Comic Sans and Impact as font choices. As for the points system, that's something that would take a bit of thought - it's harmless fun, and I don't think people would take it as seriously here as they do on the other forum - because there, post count means access to certain hidden subforums that lower-ranked posters don't get to see.

7. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Sorry, I think I was feeling snarky when I posted that. I actually am a pretty big fan of the new forum system and think the administration staff has done a great job, so I apologize if it came across as overly critical.

I mentioned that it was a silly thing to bring up, and it is, because it doesn't have any impact - positive or negative - on the forum experience. But I guess that's kind of my point...it's just kind of there.

The only thing that does slightly annoy me (as @Valka D'Ur correctly surmised) is that the total number of points you can get is 113, and that's only because I like nice round numbers and I don't have really anything else to complain about right now :)

8. leif erikson

Thank you for answering. I wasn't sure how to respond to your concern as I would not feel comfortable changing the system with consent of the Admin team.

We can add additional categories and change the point totals of events. If you have suggestions, we will consider them. :thumbsup: