What's the point with the swearfilter if you're gonna infract anyway?

Check the posts from 6-7 years ago. Infractions for inappropriate language were commonplace, and no, the words weren't allowed to stay up.

Just because you tell someone not to do something, that doesn't mean you don't clean up what they did. This applies to many aspects of life, whether it's tracking mud into the house when you're a guest... or dealing with swearing on a forum that has rules against it (most do, and I've seen some places a lot stricter than CFC).

Sorry for relatively late reply, if I got a notification about new posts, I somehow missed it
the words weren't allowed to stay up.
that's exactly the opposite of what I said
Just because you tell someone not to do something, that doesn't mean you don't clean up what they did. This applies to many aspects of life, whether it's tracking mud into the house when you're a guest... or dealing with swearing on a forum that has rules against it (most do, and I've seen some places a lot stricter than CFC).
I don't know what you're on about
If you have an issue with a moderator action, please contact the moderator that took that action.
No, I am questioning the change in policy

As far as I know, there is no change in policy. The rules remain the same.

What changed, perhaps, is how some moderators enforced the rules. We have asked that we go back to being a bit more strict in how the rules are enforced as there has been an uptick in the use of language that is not family friendly.

This has never made sense to me either. It would make more sense if only posts which actively tried to circumvent the filter were infracted.

Is manually censoring yourself infractable? Is it possible to even tell the difference between a user manually inserting asterisks or the filter automatically replacing a naughty word with asterisks?

Is it possible to even tell the difference between a user manually inserting asterisks or the filter automatically replacing a naughty word with asterisks?
Yes, we can see when the actual words are typed and the filter removes them and when the member types asterisks.

What changed, perhaps, is how some moderators enforced the rules.
This is part of the problem. A large part of the complaints with some of the rules of this forum isn't the rule itself, but that it's not consistently enforced. There also needs to be common sense applied, as in the case of a word that could either be used as a racial slur or in a productive discussion about building armor or log cabins. Obviously if it's used as a slur, it should be infracted. But preventing people from discussing armor-building or log cabin construction is just ridiculous.

Just because it's filtered doesn't mean it's any less pleasant. People still know what you're saying. If someone said "**** you" to me, at best my response would be that I don't enjoy asterisks
Though I suppose what constitutes a bad word could be an issue. Some places have different thresholds beyond the obvious few. Such as damn.

Just because it's filtered doesn't mean it's any less pleasant. People still know what you're saying. If someone said "**** you" to me, at best my response would be that I don't enjoy asterisks
Though I suppose what constitutes a bad word could be an issue. Some places have different thresholds beyond the obvious few. Such as damn.
In that case the issue is not the language but the insult, and you can be insulting without any profanity at all.

The profanity rules are also starting to annoy me lately. Yeah, yeah, family forum.
What's the average age of an OT poster ? 35 ? 30 ? Almost certainly not lower than 30.

The profanity rules are also starting to annoy me lately. Yeah, yeah, family forum.
What's the average age of an OT poster ? 35 ? 30 ? Almost certainly not lower than 30.

OT is not all that exists on CFC. There are several forums dedicated to video games that are played by a significant portion of pre-teens and early teens. They wander into other sections of the site. I myself first went into OT at the age of 13.

Someone as a 30 year old thinking profanity is super duper alright is fine, for them, but it's not fine to think subjecting everyone else to it is super duper alright as well. An individual cussing in a public place tends to get side-eyed or asked to leave. I don't think it's unreasonable that on a site dedicated to a video game franchise with some side areas for discussion it shouldn't be allowed to wantonly curse. We are all capable of utilizing a vocabulary that doesn't include swearing. Rarely is a discussion on an internet forum enhanced because someone dropped an f-bomb.

The Star Trek forum I belong to allows swearing. Honestly, it does NOT enhance the conversation, particularly in the section of the forum where insults and trolling is allowed (the bad stuff, that is; mild stuff seems to be allowed anywhere on that site). The staff there have no filter that says "I'm supposed to set an example and not insult people"; they're the worst offenders of all.

I mean, nobody here advocates for excessive swearing, or personal attacks, but sometimes profanities really help to get A Point across.

I have a couple of smileys I installed on the forums I run. One is like the :mad: one, but there's a bar across its mouth that says "censored". Another is a smiley with a grouchy expression, sticking out its tongue, and carrying a sign that says *swear word*. That one was deemed acceptable by the owner of the Doctor Who forum I run - she's a mild-mannered lady who won't allow gun images on the forum (she forbade my cookie-jar-defending smiley because it carries a rifle), but understood that people do get frustrated at times. So mild, generic "I'm swearing" smileys were deemed okay.

As I saw many years ago on another forum, it's more a matter of "won't anyone think of the children's parents?" :rolleyes:

A moderator on that forum lost his position because a bunch of twits convinced the forum owners that having an openly-gay moderator wouldn't be good for business, once the underage members' parents found out. This was particularly ridiculous since the forum owners had already known about the moderator when they appointed him in the first place. But dangle the possible loss of a few dollars in front of them (the forum is the official site of a gaming magazine which I will decline to name since they don't deserve anyone's business), and they caved. Immediately.

TF has created a relatively unique place on the internet where swearing is not tolerated. It contributes to civil discourse. The rules spell out the basic philosophy:
Our basic philosophy is that there is nothing that anyone needs to say on our forums that requires them to swear/cuss. If you can't get your point across without swearing, you will be infracted.

If you get so frustrated that you must swear, please go to almost any other site on the internet and have at it. Please do not do it here.

Top Bottom