What's the point with the swearfilter if you're gonna infract anyway?

And you actually saw someone who was asked to "stop using swear words" when he was just speaking normally ? Because that just sounds outlandish.

Must be a difference between North America and Europe. :dunno: The only places I've gone to here that are welcoming of vulgarity are places where it's assumed like bars and clubs. Offices, clinics, grocery stores, and other "average" establishments tend to frown on wanton vulgarity especially if it's excessive.

Regardless, the distinction is moot. The rules on CFC say you can't swear. Users are expected to abide by this rule.

Must be a difference between North America and Europe. :dunno: The only places I've gone to here that are welcoming of vulgarity are places where it's assumed like bars and clubs. Offices, clinics, grocery stores, and other "average" establishments tend to frown on wanton vulgarity especially if it's excessive.

Regardless, the distinction is moot. The rules on CFC say you can't swear. Users are expected to abide by this rule.
The Toronto Transit Commission actually has a rule that prohibits the use of coarse language: http://ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/TTC_Bylaws/index.jsp (see section 3.25b). Yet, it's rarely enforced (it's only enforced when one is being hostile towards the immediate others, especially to the transit operators).

CFC isn't a free-for-all.

I don't think it will ever change (I mean, it's been here for about 20 years or so), but it's still a pointless and stupid rule.
I appreciate your opinion but respectfully disagree.

While the OT Moderators have raised the issue of loosening the language standard somewhat, I would say that we will not likely change the rules to the point you are advocating for. It is doubtful that we will make any changes with regard to the gaming forums.

I'm not speaking about some sort of false dichotomy where it's either absolutely no cuss word, even mild (like [excrement]) or an uninterrupted string of swearing.
I'm speaking of regular, day-to-day speaking where the words which are forbidden on the site are actually used in common speech (like the expression I took as example : "the [excrement] hit the fan", or the usual "that's [intercourse'd] up" or "yeah, this guy was a [backside orifice]" and so on). From my two trips in the USA and how people speak in movies, I haven't noticed a significant difference, and without going into excessive, people routinely use swearing.
That's completely beside the discussion. I wasn't brandishing the flag of revolt and saying "boycott the rule", I was just saying that the rule is both stupid and outlandish, and despite the claim ("family-friendly") it doesn't draw on an actual reality where people would actually speak like that (not to add, it's pretty ridiculous to ask people to speak as if there was some sort of pure and unspoiled 4-years old child while they're debating subjects which are resolutely adult, be it about complex concepts, violence or sex).

I'm not speaking about some sort of false dichotomy where it's either absolutely no cuss word, even mild (like [excrement]) or an uninterrupted string of swearing.
I'm speaking of regular, day-to-day speaking where the words which are forbidden on the site are actually used in common speech (like the expression I took as example : "the [excrement] hit the fan", or the usual "that's [intercourse'd] up" or "yeah, this guy was a [backside orifice]" and so on). From my two trips in the USA and how people speak in movies, I haven't noticed a significant difference, and without going into excessive, people routinely use swearing.
Don't know where you went, but this is not the norm where I live and work.

Don't know where you went, but this is not the norm where I live and work.

It's certainly the norm here. To the point where I don't generally notice it until some douche with a stick up their ass tries to reprimand me for my speech.

I tell them to kindly <snip> and move on with my day.

Moderator Action: Please do not troll in the forums. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess some people don't faint when they're being sworn at.

Not CFC, or OT, though.

I was always taught that swearing at work is unprofessional.

Mind you, I sometimes did a fair bit of it when I was in the midst of typing or stitching something and things weren't going right. But I never swore in the presence of any of the clients, no matter how much I wanted to sometimes.

Last edited:
I guess some people don't faint when they're being sworn at.

Not CFC, or OT, though.

Insulting or infantilizing people generally does not work as a tactic for making the changes you desire.

It's not that we don't hear swearing. I actually swear a fair bit, when something goes wrong with the computer or like last night, when my cat decided to throw up in FIVE DIFFERENT PLACES in my apartment.

It's just that swearing on a forum is... uncouth. Or at least swearing at people is. I don't mind swearing at or about an object, like my computer, as it annoys me on a daily basis. But allowing swearing on a forum is going to lead to people telling each other to ... I'm sure you know which phrase I mean. I've seen forums with whole pages of that sort of thing and it really doesn't make the threads that devolve into such language any pleasure at all to participate in, let alone read.

The social norms of acceptable words has changed dramatically during the life of CFC. To anchor it to the standards of when the forum started would in effect mean to be changing it over time, as language is relative, and dynamic. In other words even with a few welcome laxings (spoiler with warnings allowed, not policing language in topics that specifically necessitate different standards like lyrics, etc) CFC is getting stricter with time.

To me there's a pretty difference between insulting someone, swearing, and using swear words. The first is definitely not "work place" language where I am, even if you are not using any rude words. The second (using rude words for shock effect) would raise an eyebrow at most. Unless the same person did it constantly, but I don't think that ever happens. The last is so unobjectionable that nobody would even notice, like in the examples given by Akka above.

It would appear to me that the wise powers that rule this site want to prevent users attacking, degrading, insulting and generally being uncivilized to each other. Consistent rules to do this are hard to write and harder to enforce, so the "ban all swear words" rule is used as a crutch because it's easier - even if it misses the mark most of the time. That's a shame.

It's normal where you live for people to swear at each other at work? :dubious:

Heck, when the Windows source code leaked, it was littered with profanity.

Major publications use profanity in their editorial headlines (Google 'theverge "the internet is"' or 'daringfireball facebook') to accurately describe the state of the world.

I wouldn't be able to do my job without being able to use swears.

This whole thread ends up looking comically childish when people aren't able to type swears when discussing the words themselves. It's like grown adults not saying "Voldemort".

Heck, when the Windows source code leaked, it was littered with profanity.

Major publications use profanity in their editorial headlines (Google 'theverge "the internet is"' or 'daringfireball facebook') to accurately describe the state of the world.

I wouldn't be able to do my job without being able to use swears.

This whole thread ends up looking comically childish when people aren't able to type swears when discussing the words themselves. It's like grown adults not saying "Voldemort".
Why would I use terminology for a franchise I don't care about?

FWIW I generally like the way this place is moderated because the conversations mostly stay on-topic and productive. Sure, when I'm watching hockey with my friends we say all kinds of things that don't belong here; there's a time and a place for everything. I think the local rules here are wholly appropriate. Hats off to the mods for keeping this a good place to discuss Civ in all its iterations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom