1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the Story Behind Your Username?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dwaxe, Nov 20, 2014.

1. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

I'll start. When I first made it in 2004, 'dwaxe' was just my initials plus the name of the weapon I was going to use on a character in Runescape. When I noticed how well those five letters rolled off the keyboard, I made it my name for most things on the internet.

In 2012, I realized that my initials could also stand for 'dual wield', so now whenever i play an RPG, I try to dual wield axes.

Where does your name come from?

2. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Short for massive whompus which is the name of my fantasy baseball and football teams. A "massive whompus" is what my team delivers to my opponents.

3. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

My name is Luiz Paulo, when I signed up back in 2001 I was feeling too lazy to use my whole first name (and also to properly capitalize it).

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Mine is from some anecdote we had back in high school about illogical "logic"--it was fairly unique and kinda funny so I took it.

5. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Well, back in the mists of time Mammy Shanahan and Daddy Shanahan met and fell in love. They got married, bought a house, and shortly after I was conceived.

When it was time for me be born, the process got a wee bit complicated. My mother suffered severe complications, her heart stopped for over a minute, the doctors had to break her jaw and knock out her upper teeth to put a breathing tube down her throat.

My father took me and quickly got my name down as Brian on the birth cert while my mother was still out for the count. That's why Crevin Shanahan is not responding to you right now, as if my mam had been conscious that's what she'd have named me (after her own maiden name Cremins).

6. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Büg Fatté is my legal name.:king:

7. Antilogic

Antilogic --

And 300 is your favorite movie?

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Uhhh in the early 90s I was sitting in a computer room after class and enjoying the computing devices with a plethora of other high schoolers. We were computer club members and we were not even using the internet. There was no internet yet. We had windows 3.1 to play with (IIRC), Turing, word processing, and other exciting things.

Anyway, I wrote a Turing program that simulated a star trek warp field. I called it warp.t

Then I wrote a "game". It was a bar moving up and down randomly. If it reached all the way to the top, you "won" the game and it would stop. When saving it, I didn't know what to call the thing.. but the "warp" part was already there. So I randomly hit some keys and it came up as warpus. So I saved it as warpus.t and sent it TO THE WHOLE computer club.

One by one people in the room were loading up my super amazing game and running it. It wasn't long until it was clear to most of the room that there wasn't much user interaction involved in this "game". All you did was run it and watch the screen..

So then this guy Oscar (who is now in the military, I mentioned him in the Ottawa shooting thread) starts chanting "warpus warpus WARPUS WARPUS WARPUS@%*!%".. and everyone joins in.

So then that kinda stuck. Then later I got a shirt that said "warpus" on it from a friend, and my mom made me a a touque (warm Canadian headgear) that said it too. So everybody was calling me warpus. Hell, my parents had to get used to it - I was in ANSI art groups - so we'd get calls from people from the U.S. every once in a while (on our land line) asking for "warpus". So they had to adapt to the fact that I now had 2 names.

(It's not a very exciting story.)

9. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

300 = Trijundré, my nickname.:)

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

11. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

I've been using this name ever since I played the game Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, back in 2004 (Jesus, 10 years ago? How?). I loved... and still do, come to think of it... the character Beckett, so I decided to adopt it as my screen name, but I quickly realized that just "Beckett" was already taken on a lot of forums, so I attached Wolf to the beginning of it because in the game, Beckett can shapeshift into a wolf.

12. bhsup

bhsup Deity

First initial, middle initial, first three of last name.

13. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Good to see you pal! :cool:

Maybe it should be Whomparse :mischief: .

Mine is like bhsup :goodjob: .

14. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

Stole it from someone else

Monty python and the holy grail made a joke about "you silly knight"

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Wouldn't 'whomp you' be more in line with your intent than 'whomp us'?

16. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Good seeing you too dg.
    I think you're right but whompus is kind of like rumpus in "where the wild things are" sooo...

17. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Dread (Danish: Angst, and really the most proper word to use about it) is the most essential part of the human condition; it provokes all human drive, will and work.

18. dusters

dusters Fairy

i'm a cleaning maniac.

19. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I inherited it from my dearly departed Uncle JR. It has been tough for a 16 year old girl such as myself to write like a perverted and sarcastic middle-aged man, but it was a requirement in the will along with the Pyramid scheme of a funeral and interment.

20. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

My name is Joe, and when I was in middle school, I guess I thought I was pretty cool. Not sure where the yo part came from, probably because Joecool was taken and I didn't want to bother with numbers. Joecoolyo then turned into my handle for a little bit, before I realized it was dumb and switched to my handle I use today, carwrex.