1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the story with the Magellan acheivement

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kyroshill, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

I see that only 0.2% have gotten this achievement... and I've tried and I can't secure it...

I've taken caravels completely around the world on a single horizontal path, never wavering until I've circumnavigated the globe...

And in my current Lizzie game with the Great Lighthouse and the Commerce track, my caravels exposed the entire map by 1500...

still no achievement...

Ideas?

2. TheDice

TheDice Chieftain

It's disabled in the XML. Not sure why they put it in there and didnt use it, but the line that read "CIRCUMNAVIGATE" achievement or something to that effect is what you want to look for. Change the value to 1 and it should work just fine. I did it right after teching astronomy in an earlier game and when I revealed a "loop" of tiles around the world I got the achievement and the +1 movement bonus.

3. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Don't forget to change it back when you get your Achievement.

4. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

Edit the following file CAREFULLY using Notepad:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GlobalDefines.xml​
    Find the line that reads:
    <Row Name="CIRCUMNAVIGATE_FREE_MOVES">​
    Change the following line to:
    <Value>1</Value>​
    Save the file and restart the game. Make sure you're connected to Steam. Reload any game just before you did the circumnavigation and make sure you do it again. It should trigger the achievement.

5. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I think its a balance thing. England has such a huge advantage in getting the achievement, that including it would almost be like increasing England's naval movement bonus to +3.

6. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

They should just fix this. And the other achievements. Seriously. It isn't that hard to change the code a little.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

They could give it a different effect. Maybe instead of extra movement, they give something related to commerce. England still has the advantage (although you can always beat England to the techs), but, if they get it, it isn't overpowered.