1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with China?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by RedRover57, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

Doesn't seem like all the situations described here are the same.

In the game Rince posted, Arabia is acting silly because it wants a Cultural victory. The AI knows that smaller civs are better for a cultural victory, so it wants to remain small, but this being a Tiny map, the AI underestimates how many cities it needs and feels happy sitting there with just 1.

This is bad logic by the AI but I feel that situations like the one TPQ posted about are caused by something different, an uncommon bug of sorts.

2. spfun

spfun Chieftain

The culture flavor has simply got to go. Its quite annoying to play a standard Pangaea map with 8 nations where always a few AIs are totally incompetent due to the culture flavor.

Strongest Ai flavor i ever saw was expansionist Persia who went 5 liberty 5 patronage allied with like 7 city states & teched out turbo styles. This was on king post patch, ive played 500 hours. I normally destroy emperor AI with OCC, but this AI Persia was challenging, i just wish i could have every AI like this.

3. Rince

Rince Chieftain

Ok, so it sounds like a scaling problem then. Thanks for looking into it. Hope it will help improve the AI.

4. André Alfenaar

André Alfenaar Chieftain

I have seen various games in which the AI didn't expand fast enough. Also on a normal map. Even for a cultural city it is wise to have a couple of cities. 5 or so. More cities mean more expensive SP's, but at the same time they are producing more culture as well. So in the end a moderate expansion is pretty flat considering the number of turns for a SP.

5. André Alfenaar

André Alfenaar Chieftain

Another problem is that the AI is often very lazy to improve the tiles.

6. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

In the specific instance you posted, yes, that's a scaling problem. Definitely different from what some of the others are reporting, but it's definitely good info to have.

7. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

As far as there being few buildings in their capitol -- not all buildings are saved when they are captured. To test this -- have a city be captured several times. The buildings will become fewer and fewer.

There does seem to be a minimum amount of turns after a city is captured where the buildings are "immune." This is probably because if a city kept getting captured every turn it'd wax all the buildings.

As far as "lazy" civs. I've definitely noticed the AI either not building enough workers or simply ignoring resources. As far as the non-expansion, this might be feature. If the AI wants to win culturally, it'd make sense not to build too many cities.

8. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

I seem to find China as my closest ally whenever I play with them.

9. jojorah

jojorah Chieftain

Hi, wouldnt it get rid of the AI thinking for culture if one disabled the culture victory?

10. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Chieftain

One would think so, but you have to remember, they did rush the game out the door...

11. Callonia

Callonia Chieftain

Naw with the latest patch, if I enable only domination, every single ai will try for a domination win.

It actually had led to lots of wars, more than normal.

With several powerhouses nuking their neighbors and taking over their land.

And then, ai will start thinking i'm trying for the same victory condition as they are after i take over 2nd civ completely. It shows up in the red demerits xD

12. ElWanderer

ElWanderer Chieftain

In one of my games, under .167, when I started exploring the other continent in, ooh, roughly 1200AD, I found Catherine sitting there with just one one city. At first I thought it was the AI going for culture, but... my exploring units found not one but two settlers that had been captured by barbs. I returned one and kept one. A little later, I noticed that Catherine had gone all ICS and put seven new cities out. I think there was also a pillaged pasture she took centuries to fix.

I suspect the AI was considering the captured units to belong to it, still, so it didn't consider training anymore. Just a guess, though.

This was only my second game, so the difficulty was quite low. I can see if I can find some saves later if it would help.

13. Ironmonger69

Ironmonger69 Chieftain

Had one recently where on an Archipelago map, after declaring war against the US, they bullrushed one of my allied CS deep within their waters. They alread had two knights on land, landed three musketmen and two pikemen within the next turn. They knocked the city's defenses down to 1hp, but never took it (I figured it was lost, took me three turns to get a destroyer on the scene.) Not only did all US units stop moving inexplicably, the CS stopped firing at the invaders. The rest of my fleet (6 battleships and one more destroyer) arrived on scene and set about wasting the interlopers. Bizarre (checked, all the autosaves have been overwritten.... sigh)