1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with tech runaways...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Helmling, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I'm on Mac so I may be one patch behind most of you all, but I hadn't played for several weeks and then came back like last week and in every single game there's an AI who is just leaps and bounds ahead in tech from early on in the game. In one game the other day, I was producing like 9 science and one of the AIs--can't remember who now, sorry--was at like 83.

This is emperor, small map, quick speed.

2. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

I'm not too familiar with quick timings. But 9 science is on the low side even for normal turn 83, unless you're ignoring it entirely, which could be fine.

3. Helmling

No, I wasn't on turn 83. I had 9 science to his 83.

Other AI were ahead, but in the 20s range at the time. This keeps happening. The whole rest of the game is catch-up-in-tech.

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

what turn was it?

5. Helmling

Can't remember, but my point is that in several games I'm seeing one AI streak out ahead of the rest of us in technology for some reason. Like totally lopsided. It didn't used to happen this badly before.

Anyone else seeing similar patterns?

6. gimper42

gimper42 Warlord

Gilgamesh does this because his UI is +Science and he spams the hell out of it.

7. jbavon

jbavon Chieftain

I have noticed this as well. The AI bonus to research (also culture and production) must be quite significant to pump out the numbers im seeing for the AI. It would be nice to know the bonus modifiers.

8. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Warlord

9. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Warlord

I find the 'immersive era' style mods help this situation. They all require all techs/civics be completed each era before moving to the next era.

While it gives a little less freedom in navigating the tech/civic tree, it prevents the AIs from bee-lining too far head in one tree or the other and thus passing up all the great people.

10. jbavon

jbavon Chieftain

Thank you. Although I am suspicious that those numbers are outdated. They are 5 months old after all. Much has changed since release.

11. Jachyra

Jachyra Chieftain

Some of them are outdated. I know for a fact that I pop 40 gold from a goody hut on Emperor.

12. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Emperor is right where I start to feel constricted in terms of options. If I don't pay attention to science I easily find myself multiple eras behind. Playing quick makes it even more difficult to catch up.

As for the AI, other than Kongo I haven't seen as many consistently good performers as in V. Very start (neighbors, barbs, city states, dirt) dependent in terms of who ends up ahead of the pack.

13. Helmling

It's not the general AI bonus that's at work here, though. Like in the game I'm playing right now--same set up--I have 128 science, better than Aztecs at 72, Norway at 42, France 42, Egypt 38.

But Kongo has 337!!!

jbavon likes this.
  14. Helmling

In my current game, Kongo is the culprit, but I've seen similar patterns with other AI.

15. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

I try not lose my cool when I see a runaway. They must be giving up on something like gold, production, expansion onto strategic resources etc.

16. gimper42

gimper42 Warlord

Or they're not and they are, in fact, gobbling up their neighbors and snowballing out of control. Granted this happens far less in VI than it did in V. But I have seen a lot of the leaders doing this since the last 2 big patches on high difficulty settings.

17. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

keep in mind that the AI starts getting free eurekas and inspirations at some diff level. On deity that's 4 for free of each per era. So they need less science to crank up the tech tree.

Also, there are still a lot of crappy beelines that the AI likes to use to get to higher eras.

Then there are the AIs that randomly plant 7-8 campus or theatre square districts and skyrocket in pure beakers or culture (especially if they grab a lot of writers and artists early) on top of getting the freebies.

edit: and nevermind that AI that gets Jesuit Education and loves faith...

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  18. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

I'm curious. How does this work? Does one player moving into an advanced era take out all GPs from the global pool from earlier eras?

The question here I think is most important is not
    "How does the AI get ahead on upper difficulties?" MadDjinn did a great job answering that.

What's strange is that a single AI tends to run way ahead of the others. The question is that if all AIs are presumably subject to the same bonuses, what causes AI Teddy Roosevelt to be in the modern era while the other Emperor AIs are in the Renaissance?

19. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Warlord

Once a great person is acquired by any civ the next great person to appear on the list is determined from the most advanced era that any civ is in be it from technology or civics.

20. TurboJ

TurboJ Warlord

Some games on higher difficulties can have extremely strong AI snowballing. Some games on deity at least can be pretty much unwinnable (though most games tend to be too easy compared to earlier games in the series).

One game on deity AI Australia had modern armor armies when all other civs had musket corps at most. Can't remember the turn but year was just before 1000 AD. If an AI civ happens to get ideal terrain, lots of early cities with mountain tiles, useful goody huts and great people, it can be GG pretty quickly.

I tend to see AIs snowball in culture more than in science though. But I guess it's kind of nice that there are occasional games you don't win. That keeps it interesting.