What's with all the hate?

XxtraLarGe

Warlord
Why are so many people down on Civ Revolutions? It's a different game meant to expand the appeal of Civ to a different crowd.

I've played Civ since the original, and personally, I'm excited by this game. I realize it's not going to be the same depth as Civ IV. That's alright. Bejeweled isn't the same depth either, and I can still enjoy that on occasion as well.

My only disappointment is that it's not going to make it to the PS2.

If you don't like it, just ignore it and vote with your dollars, no need to spout hate. You add no value to the conversation by doing so.

I started wondering the same thing: 'til i took a quick scan around the forums and noticed that it's more or less the same punks-- Xavier Von Erck, Catharsis, anonyjjang... --who go around and post crap like "this is CIV for the mentally challenged" or "I would chop off my right hand before I play this".

Go into the other Revo chats in the Civ IV forums and you find a more... diverse set of h8rs. Probably the same idiots who have been spamming the Civ IV forums about how Civ III is better.

But my curiousity about both groups-- the Civ III lovers and the Civ Revo h8rs-- are two quesitons:

1) Don't you like multiplayer? Cause until Civ IV, MP was plain ugly, and I would look forward to Revo solely because it won't be on gamespy!

2) Why do you fear the future? If you're such luddites, shouldn't you just stay away from computers? Why do you trust the "internets", this shady "series of tubes"?

Its just annoyance that people think it could be distracting from developmant of future PC versions.. people seem to miss it will drive innovation in the Civ genre, as well as push more funds into its development.

Exactly, its a misunderstanding to think this would inhibit development of ciV. If anything i think we should look upon it as a good thing.

I started wondering the same thing: 'til i took a quick scan around the forums and noticed that it's more or less the same punks-- Xavier Von Erck, Catharsis, anonyjjang... --who go around and post crap like "this is CIV for the mentally challenged" or "I would chop off my right hand before I play this".

What posts of mine have you been reading? :confused: I'm a big supporter of Civ Revolutions. Sorry if my posts have seemed insulting... I'm no good at Civ so I definitely wouldn't be calling anyone 'mentally challenged' with regards to Civ. ;)

Console games are teh suck. The only purpose of a Civ game is to modify it. Can't modify a console game!

Apparently your wrong, but so is Bill- they mention downloadable content will be a feature of Revolutions, so i assume modification will also occur.

I think one of the biggest things people don't like is that there's a new Civ game... and they can't play it unless they happen to also have a console. To me, that is a bit annoying, since I don't own one. I'm looking forward to learning more about it, since it is a new civ game... and this might inspire me to buy a DS (there are a couple other games I wouldn't mind playing). Is it going to be a simplified version? Yes. It'll be quite a bit different since the primary audience is console users rather than PC users. Perhaps people are just feeling alienated for this reason?

Perhaps, ive ignored, and chastised all of cIV- but mainly for the move to 3D

I own both a Wii and 360. Won't even touch this game, it's built for idiots.

"Let's take the greatest PC game of all time and put training wheels on it because we at Firaxis think all console idiots are dumb who can't handle the real experience!"

I own both a Wii and 360. Won't even touch this game, it's built for idiots.

"Let's take the greatest PC game of all time and put training wheels on it because we at Firaxis think all console idiots are dumb who can't handle the real experience!"

Okay, you don't have enough information to be argueing about whether this game is for ******s or 12 twelve year olds. We don't have very many previews yet. By "simplified" it probably means easier to understand not necessarily less complex.

I don't understand how people can be so critical of a game when there isn't any information out for it yet...

Im not going to play the game but from what ive seen there is some good stuff in it.

Put it in the next pc version!

One reason I see why people hate it is because it's a waste of their money. (Not the game, the consoles) Adults think that only kiddy stuff is on the consoles. Wrong! What about Halo 3?

Never mind, Halo's on the PC too.....

Well, I like CivRev (New abbreviation!), but apparently, you either have to be extremely softcore or extremely hardcore to accept it. (I'm softcore!)

Another reason is that they could be spending this time making Civ5 for PC. In my opinion, you can't just make sequels to every single game right after it comes out! In between game releases, they have half the crew thinking up new stuff for the next game, and the other half making expansion packs. CivRev seems like a good way to find out what works for other audiences, therefor making them more money! The consoles give them something new, and I think they don't even want to make Civ5 right now! These consoles let them have something to tinker with to get them out of boredness! and besides, you can't take a laptop everywhere you go, but you can with a Nintendo DS!

EDIT: Never mind, somebody already thought up CivRev. :(

Xavier: how do you know all this? How do you know it'll be 'dumbed down'? I realise that there will need to be some concessions, in order to work with the console interface, but to be honest I don't see any reason why CivRev shouldn't be a suitable challenge.

The 'cartoony' graphics might annoy some people (not me, I think they're whimsical :D) but 'childish' graphics (pardon the expression) does not necessarily imply a 'childish' game.

And what's wrong with training wheels? The way I see it, we want more twelve-year-olds playing Civ... gets them off the streets, dunnit ;).

@Intricacy: Can you see my posts, or am I on your ignore list?

Top Bottom