1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's with all these forts?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Maestro_Innit, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Maestro_Innit

Maestro_Innit Warlord

Whenever I get a pretty large empire, I put my workers on auto-infrastructure so that they'll link up resources when they come into my culture borders and make lots of road and rail links.

The problem is that I keep catching them building forts over resources - what's that all about?!?

2. Mischief

Mischief Warlady

When a fort is built on one of your resources, and when both are within your borders, you still get the benefits of the ressources. That can be useful, f. e. if you you build a fort over the silk ressource and don`t have calender yet, as soon as it is discovered you get that ressource and not 5-6 turns later when you have built a plantation.

The ressources your workers build forts on - are they destroying already existant improvements to build the forts, or are the ressources unimproved?

3. largedarryl

largedarryl Prince

That's because forts will still give you access to the resources. If the resource is outside of a cities BFC there is no need for an actual improvement. It even becomes more important to put a fort on a resource outside your BFC because it makes is easier to defend.

4. dabub

dabub Chieftain

I've noticed that they tend to build forts over resources that are not in the fat cross of a city so you'll still get the resource but the tile improvements aren't really neccessary while a fort can always be useful as an airbase/canal/place to fortify etc.

5. elderotter

elderotter Otter King

Even though the tile says the resource needs a mine in red letters? I will start leaving them alone then.

6. Mischief

Mischief Warlady

yes, I believe so.

7. elderotter

elderotter Otter King

ok, thanks.

8. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

You still need to pay attention to it, first game I did the same.... I have always used manual workers until late game, then set them to infrastructure so they run around roading/railing everything and connect resources as my culture expands.....

However, I did have some trouble with that setting in BtS.... sometimes they put forts INSIDE my city radius and there were two separate occasions where they built a windmill over a mine.....

They were *definitely* set to infrastructure automate and no other....

9. Maestro_Innit

Maestro_Innit Warlord

I always leave then with the caviat of "leave existing improvements" :cool:

I certainly didn't know that a fort gave you access to a resources, however. I'm szure when they put forts on all of my oil wells I didn't suddenly get oil. I think I had to research combustion and build oil dereks. I'll have to check that out. :scan:

10. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Yes, they changed it in BtS to make forts more useful. When the resource is outside of the fat cross it is best have a fort ans some City Garrison units on the tile.

11. Mischief

Mischief Warlady

Dunno if anyone is still reading this, but
    yes, you still have to research the appropriate techs to get the ressource under a fort, f.e. you still need Hunting to be able to get elephants or Combustion to get oil.

12. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

forts are really fun now... they're actually useful! it's great compared to the worthless forts in vanilla/warlords

13. LUEser

LUEser Chieftain

who wouldn't want a bunch of forts outside your BFC, more room for aircraft!

14. Mehmed II

Mehmed II Ottoman Empire

Is it possible to paradrop from forts which are in neutral territory?

15. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

Nope. (10 char)

16. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

I have an important question about forts: can enemies use the defensive bonuses if the fort is in your territory?

I usually lure my enemy in and then strike, but if they would get the bonuses then I guess I'd leave the quarry/mine/whatever.

17. Tristan daCunha

Tristan daCunha Pacifist Aggressive

No, because you need to build to proper improvement in order to retrieve the resource. I just tested it by using World Builder to add a silver resource (and a road to it) within my border but outside my fat cross. Silver does not show up in my list of resources unless I build a mine on that silver resource.

I think the random forts being built is a mistake. But I never automate my workers, so I can't assess any damage automated workers might do.

18. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

That's odd, because it definitely works in my game.

Perhaps try it without using the WB and see what happens? :)

19. LunaticSlave

LunaticSlave Sieg Zeon!

If you build a fort on a resource you will have it appear on your resources box on your cities, what you wont get is the bonus you would get from working it like for example the +2 hammers you would get from mining an iron resource. I never automate my workers, but stil i do a lot of forts on resources out of my cities fatcrosses.

And about Defiant's question; i believe so, they get the bonus on forts on your land, as well you can get for forts in theirs. I normaly when at wars send 2 or 3 workers with my stacks and build forts in strategic places of their land, and have fun watching the ai wasting tons of units trying to get me inside my built fortreses with city garrison units XD

20. Tristan daCunha

Tristan daCunha Pacifist Aggressive

D'oh! I didn't build a fort on the resource, just ran a road out to it. My bad.

Yes, a fort does provide access to a resource.