1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with my Civ1. I can't save any games?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by SideshowBob, Aug 6, 2003.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Ah, winter finally.

The game start's saving the game all nicely and everything is fine. The it says something like "error writing map-file" and then it says that the game has not been saved.

Are my disks damaged? I haven't played it for ages, and disks don't hold forever.

Or is it there a problem with the computer? I have Windows95 and it complains that there is too little memory (it's a really old laptop;) ) but I can play even though the graphics don't work optimally. I :love: Civ1, but I'd really like to play a little at the time and not the whole game in one long run.

Grateful for any suggestions!

2. SideshowBob

that no one has a clue what might be wrong with my Civ?

3. Matrix

Matrix CFC Dinosaur Retired Moderator

Sorry, but I can't help you, SideshowBob. I'm not that technical.

But I'll move this thread to the Computer Talk forum. I think that there some might be able to help you.

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Are you trying to save to your Civ1 disks? Have you tried saving to the hard drive with another program, and does it save okay? Have you tried saving to another floppy disk?

Other than that, I don't know. If you can use the disks with other programs, I would think that you're okay as far as the disk being bad. If you're using your civ disks, I sure hope you have a backup. If you do, try it from there. You didn't aquire this, *ahem* shadily, did you? If so, that might be the problem too.

Not very substanive, but a place to start. . . .

5. Lucky

Lucky Game- and Quizmaster

It seems like you are trying to save to the floppies itself. That usually won´t work as they can be read-only or more likely full. Install the game to a harddrive and make sure you start it from there.
    If nothing helps you can always try to find WinCiv somewhere, eBay for example.
    :D

6. SideshowBob

I've tried saving both to disks and the hard drive. Can't remeber if I tried saving on the actual civ disks. I have to look into that.

As for the game, I know I've been able to save before without problems, but that's a long time ago. And whether it's shady or not. I'm not very good at these things. I bought it from a friend of mine who got tired of it. And the disk look authentic, i.e. they are not obvious copies. But where she got it from I don't know.

But I'll have a look at e-Bay or maybe with some luck I could find it on some CD-anthology with old games. You never know what you can find if you only have the time to look.

Cheers! And thanks for the help:)

7. Lucky

Lucky Game- and Quizmaster

If you overwriting an old save, make sure both savegame files are NOT read-only. If you don´t need your old saves anymore, the best is to delete them. And then install the game on the HDD, run it from there and save it there.
    :D

8. karsten

karsten Chieftain

Yeah, that is a wise thing to do, I do that too. Try it.

9. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

make sure folder is not read only as well.

10. SideshowBob

:grad: Boy I feel stupid... One would think that one learns over time to be smarter but no... I found out why I can't save games. It's the memory problem I mentioned. I have too little memory. If I only had read through the red window that says "You have too little memory ... continue at own risk"

Well I skipped the middle part that says it might cause problems saving games :blush:

But thanks a lot guys for all the help and good advice. :D