What's your 5-15 minute game?

Malachi256

Prince
Some games require a good session to really get into, but other times you just have a few minutes to spare or you just want to take a break from something else, or you just want something quick...

What's your go-to game for this situation?

**** Hero

Civ4 is pretty good, as within 15 minutes you'll remember why it sucks and why you stopped playing it before.

I really can't think of many actual 15 minute games, but there are a number of 30 or so minute ones that I have. Ticket to Ride, Small World, numerous indie games.

Right now? Street Fighter IV. Because I need some 1990s cheese in my lunch break.

I was playing Tales of Honor, quickly play a few battles in 15mins. However the game development appears to have been halted and no new content.
Previously Marvel Puzzle Quest, the destructive nerfing and game changes destroyed my entire roster which i spent ages building.

blitz/bullet chess

Candy Crush.

On pc though FTL is easy to pick up and put down with the auto save. Just do like 1 or 2 battles then quit.

War Thunder is good for a quick game. Will usually play one game each of tanks and airplanes and I'll play a little longer if I feel I got lucky in those rounds.

Surprisingly new Tomb Raider is really easy to play in small chunks. It auto saves more than any other game I've seen of that type. Like a ton, every couple mins it's auto saving something.

I'll also play a quarter of basketball in NBA2k13. I have it set to 12 min quarters right now so I can pad my stats. If you drop it to 5 min quarters though you can get a whole game in in about 20 mins (your guy won't play all 20 mins of actual game time cus of subs). With 12 min quarters it's about 40 mins to finish a game usually.

War Thunder is good for a quick game. Will usually play one game each of tanks and airplanes and I'll play a little longer if I feel I got lucky in those rounds.

In Arcade mode sure, in RB mode its about 5 minutes until you meet the enemy a lot of the time :p

I find heroes of might and magic a decent game for 15 minutes when im at home. I usually play it just before i go to bed. Have a few turns, then finish up. Another mention should go to hotline miami. I never really got into it, but i can see why some poeple like it and you would only ever want to play it for a few minutes at a time.

Out and about i play spades and jewel mania.

Skyrouge for me at the moment. Good fun for 15mins or so but after a while it gets repetitive.

Pretty often Trackmania fills that niche for me, usually either Trackmania Nations ESCW or Trackmania United Forever. The single-player races are pretty short, 30 seconds to 3 minutes, so it's easy to do a few attempts at one or two tracks in between other tasks.

I find heroes of might and magic a decent game for 15 minutes when im at home. I usually play it just before i go to bed. Have a few turns, then finish up. Another mention should go to hotline miami. I never really got into it, but i can see why some poeple like it and you would only ever want to play it for a few minutes at a time.

Out and about i play spades and jewel mania.

You find HOMM easier to put down? Seriously? HOMM is like the ultimate one more turn game for me, cus turns are so easy to execute and it's just enticing to move my heroes one more time. Civ is similarly enticing but turns are much longer thus not as easy to just click and keep going.

Hotline miami is mixed. Reason is some levels are extremely difficult and they all have 2-3 phases with auto saves after each but if you quit you have to start the whole level again. I might spend 30 mins on one phase and do not want to quit and redo it again. If the level is easy though, yes 15 mins is plenty and because the game uses retro graphics and a lot of distortion it's hard to play for extended periods of time. I usually played it for 30 mins to an hour.

^ yeah imho, the HOMMs and probably king's bounty are as addictive as the civs.

for me i used to spend no more than 20mins on a RTS mission. only RTS which made me spend more than that on a single mission might be online WC3 custom map matches, which i don't do anymore, or mechcommander 2. maybe a couple of quake live matches too, but that's more like 10 mins each , mostly because i'm bad at it.

saga frontier or romancing saga 3, i couldn't play more than an hour each time, mostly 'cause grinding can almost put me to sleep.

for most people i guess it's best to just hit a causal browser game, like on kongregate or armorgames, or storynexus/fallen london.

Sid Meier's Pirates. 15 minutes is long enough to take a few ships, dance with a pretty girl, and engage in the odd tavern brawl. Invading a city might take a few minutes longer.

It's also an easy game to alt-tab in and out of.

You find HOMM easier to put down? Seriously? HOMM is like the ultimate one more turn game for me, cus turns are so easy to execute and it's just enticing to move my heroes one more time. Civ is similarly enticing but turns are much longer thus not as easy to just click and keep going.

Hotline miami is mixed. Reason is some levels are extremely difficult and they all have 2-3 phases with auto saves after each but if you quit you have to start the whole level again. I might spend 30 mins on one phase and do not want to quit and redo it again. If the level is easy though, yes 15 mins is plenty and because the game uses retro graphics and a lot of distortion it's hard to play for extended periods of time. I usually played it for 30 mins to an hour.

Im not coming at it from the perspective of someone who is new to HOMM. Im a relative veteran. Gone are my days of spending hours and hours playing HOMM. Now i just like a quick few turns, usually before i go to bed. :)

Top Bottom