What's your Civ 3 Achilles Heel?

Kool Keith

Warlord
I have a real bad tendency to get impatient, specifically in the late game. I always try to push the envelope in an effort to get as early a domination victory as I can, so I end up declaring wars in which I never wind up delivering the death blow. I am convinced I set myself back at least 50 turns every game. I'll never learn. :mad:

I am too scattered in my thinking and in my placement of troops. With many fronts, I put stuff everywhere in case it is needed and then can't get to them when I need them.

i go to war too much, after i get calvary i become a war mongeror, if there is another civ on the same island as me, i wipe them out, then i start a world war, and eliminate the weakest, then after a few years of peace i got to war again, this always hurts my reputation, leaving me with less trade opporitunities

Some people (if they saw my games) would call me "too much of a builder." :)

Being too nice to a certain AI and they end up back stabbing me. :backstab:

Additionally, being reluctant to launch an invasion of a large civ, even if I think I can win. But that is usually if it is a civ that occupies an entire continent.

Wonder addiction. I always have to build wonders, even ones that I don't need, or ones that will not be worth the effort (well, not actually all of them but certainly almost all if I can). Also to a lesser extent the same as darski in that I tend to scatter my forces a little too haphazardly.

Trading. When to trade? am I getting a good (best) deal? will it help the AI too much?

I've read no-research training games and studied the Grumpy Old Monk's wise teachings, but when I am actually in the middle of a game.... :crazyeye:

Being too cautious, especially before I attack. Usually I can attack a civ and defeat them in ten turns, but I'll hold off instead for another twenty to build up some more. I'm a planning freak when it comes to offensives. Never happy with what I've already got in the field...

Someone said it here first already, but I'm also wonder addictive. Pretty anal about it. If a wonder comes on the board, I usually drop what I'm doing and start it before one of the other civs gets it first.

And, if one of the other civs gets it first, I get pretty wigged out.

I don't build as many workers as I should. Finally this game I'm playing now I've got a ton, but still less than the 1.5-2 per city. I also can't give into demands. I always go to war over that.

Accepting trade offers I feel don't benefit me at all and cause previously "polite" civs going "annoyed" which means I end up with alliances and trade embargos against me.

Alexander offers: Territory map
Alexander wants: Territory map, Advanced Flight, 38 gp/turn :deal:
My reply: Not a chance :sarcasm:

I want: Furs
Elizabeth requires: Gems, Industrialization, 125 gp/turn :deal:
My reply: Not a chance :vomit:

Do I take it too seriously? :wallbash:

Trade. I just do not want AIs to get gpt from me. So I screw some trading opportunities. I'd rather spend the money for steals, that way no one gets the money.

Peace. Lately I don't feel good letting the AIs grow in peace. I want them to keep fighting someone, so I pit them against each other continuously.

Slaves. Can't get enough of them :D

Eliminating civs. I try to keep at least 7 other civs alive, even if some are OCC one-tile-island off my coast. I like a full F4 screen :p

Also, catch-up is not something I'm very good at, which keeps me on Emperor and pseudo-DG.

I abandon perfectly good games because I decide I wanna try something else.
I've yet to finish a 5CC conquest or OCC space game.

In terms of game play I'd say my weakest spot is trading.

I always fall back in technology. :cringe: And until I found this site, I've never built one cultural building. I'm too much of a warmonger.

Playing too fast and not taking the time to factor everything into my decisions.

I already play very slowly though, sometimes more than an hour per turn in end game. There are often just so many things to think about....

That brings me to the second problem: Leaving too little time for other things in life.

Top Bottom