1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite computer?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by caketastydelish, Jan 16, 2012.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I know this is a very open question, so what I mean is, the kind of computer that you think suits your needs best. I know there are a lot of snobs out there (not just on this site but all over the world) so if someone lists a computer you don't like, please don't bash them to a pulp. Any flaming will be reported.

So I'll start off by naming my favorite... it's not a computer I actually own, but the more I learn about it, the more I like it. It is the HP All In One.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=TouchSmart+PCs&series_name=610xt_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/TouchSmart_PCs/610xt_series

The fact that the monitor and webcam are built into the computer means there won't be near as much cables as a "conventional" computer setup would use. I have to say I'm also a fan of the touch screen. This probably doesn't count, but my 3DS (handheld game system) has a touch screen and it's fun. And it's not like the touch screen replaces the mouse, so if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

The fact that it's upgradable to be able to play blu-ray movies is something I'm also fond of. When I go off to a different university to finish my degree I probably won't buy a TV; I can't justify the money when I hardly watch TV. I do watch movies some times, and watching a blu-ray movie in 1080P is pretty appealing. The size of the monitor is nice too.

-------------

But enough about my favorite computer, what about yours? Post your favorite computer and why you like it. Bashing other peoples opinions will not be tolerated.

edit: Mods please move this to the computer board. That would be a better place for this.

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'm about to purchase a Dell Rack server with something in the order of 40 cores, 2TB of RAM and several TBs worth of SSD storage. :)

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

An All-in-one is an interesting choice, but if I were starting fresh I'd probably go for a i5 laptop with 4GB RAM and video card, around $700, and build a docking station around it (nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse). And then for travel I'd go for a refurbished notebook around the $250 price point. I've also noticed that there are some ultra mini comps that basically look like a Wii or smaller---not quite sure what to make of them other than an advanced router, but for $100 I might tool around with one of those as a firewall/server for a laptop and all around backup computer.

I'm invested in DIY building, so my current fave is my i5 with 16GB RAM and a 450 GTS card in my Coolermaster HAF case. More power, but not portable.

I don't know what I'd do with a 40 cores of server except maybe try to make money as an server for rent.

4. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Eh, for my current needs? All I need is a mid-range laptop, as long as it has the capacity to run the larger Civ4 mods smoothly and enough HD space to store my entire collection of mp3s I am happy. (Basically I'd already fallen off the "new games" wagon before my first son was born and am now at least five years behind the curve.) Oh, and the keyboard can't be too crappy and uncomfortable because I need to do a fair amount of programming work from home. It needs to be a laptop se we can stow it away when not in use (don't have a space that would be convenient to use as a permanent office).

To answer a completely different question, my favourite computer for sentimental reasons is this:

5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

How much do programmers get paid? I'm thinking about trying to get certified in C+ and possibly C++

6. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Not much, for the work they do.

And certification doesn't mean much at all. We're looking at hiring some more entry-level programmers at my job, and will be looking at math/engineering/compsci degrees as a minimum requirement.

7. mdwh

mdwh Deity

Depends what type, and where you work. You can make a very decent salary and career in it. But I agree with Zelig in that academic background (and perhaps experience, or personal knowledge of programming) seems more important.

It's unclear if you know any programming at the moment?

8. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

9. GoodGame

Funny thing is 1/2 that is the price of the three monitors (which I don't like to be honest, since I don't like the image broken up by the monitor edges).
    If they went for one large LCD with a 5ms refresh rate, ~ the money saved could have gone for a $1000 CPU like a six-core i7 (12 threads!!), and they easily could have gotten a motherboard that broke 16GB RAM, plus doubled the RAM using the same model of stick. +-$500.

But give me $12K and I'd buy a used compact, or maybe a down-payment on a Honda CR-Z. That has an onboard trip computer in it!

10. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Even if you don't want to do something like eyefinity, a second monitor is nice just for multitasking while gaming.

11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Thank you for the link, that computer looks wicked awesome. Of course I'll probably never afford it, but it's still fun to think about. And the three monitors are my favorite part. I know someone else said they don't like the monitors being separate, and I can see how that could be annoying. It doesn't bother me though for some reason.

What I may do one day is get those monitors-or something similar, but the tech specs for the rest of the computer would just be average or maybe slightly above. As much as I love computers, I can't afford to break my bank like that. $12,500 is out of the question.

edit: No I will not get those monitors. $2300 is not going to happen, especially if I have to get 3 of them. Only if I'm really well off would I consider those monitors. Looks like the touch smart all in one by HP is my best choice once again. That dream machine is still really cool though.

second edit: Here's something I don't understand about that "Dream Machine" link: As much as I think it's awesome, why did they choose Windows 7 Professional? Nothing is wrong with it (in fact I have it) but if the point is to make the best (or one of the best) computers imaginable, why not go all the way and run Windows 7 Ultimate? Everything else about that computer seems to be maxed out in terms of aspects. If you're going to spend $12,500 for your computer, you might as well throw in and extra $150 or whatever it is to have the best operating system possible.

12. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Ah, the trusty old C-64! This gets my vote for my favorite computer of all time (that i've personally used). I wrote many high school papers using the word processing program. You'd have to use a mark up language - complete with tags like <indent=4> and </para>. When I started to learn HTML in the mid 90's it was simple because the whole idea of mark-up wasn't a new thing to me!

Also, F-15 Strike Eagle was my favorite game for years, at least until Civ1 came out :)

Plus, we had a 9600 modem, a dot matrix printer, and all with just 64k of RAM!! I don't know how on earth the computer was able to do that. I do arduino projects with more memory now :lol:

13. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I think that the type that suits my needs best, if I were to choose exactly one, would have to be a laptop, with an about-average sized non-glossy screen and decent keyboard. The portability aspect is important, as I'm assuming it's not supplemented by a smart phone. Another aspect that would be important is durability, and similarly reliability.

I might also add a touch screen of the stylus-drawing variety, in an ideal situation, since that would be handy for note taking, diagram-drawing, etc. In practice, those tend to be expensive, less powerful than alternatives, and have small screens, but a few manufacturers did make (expensive) 14-inch tablets at one point. I'd rather have a stylus touch screen for drawing than a finger-sensitive one, for practicality. Of course, the option to have both is good, too.

So the "ideal" is somewhat hypothetical - basically a more powerful and up-to-date version of some old tablets. But it isn't unreasonable. Of ones I've actually used, my favorite's probably my trusty laptop. It's basically what I described, except without the tablet aspect. For travel it's a bit large at times, but not too much, and the larger screen was worth it for the 98% of the time I wasn't traveling when it was my only computer.

If I suddenly got $12K, I'd pay off my student loans. Or maybe 90% of them. Can't remember if they're just over $12K or just under $12K right now.

edit: Webcam built-in is nice, too, and non-horrible speakers. Both aspects of my current laptop that I like.

14. CKS

CKS Deity

I loved my C64. We had SpeedScript 3, which we typed in out of a magazine, for wordprocessing. Unfortunately, it counted formatting marks as characters when setting the line length, so if you bolded or underlined a lot, the lines got quite short.

Impossible Mission was my favorite short game, and The Bard's Tale my favorite long game. My brother and I even worked on writing an adventure game using the keyboard graphics.

Commodore USA is selling a new version, which looks interesting, though the keyboard appears to be missing the graphics. I suspect they get a lot of hits just for the nostalgic visuals. http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

15. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Oh - I forgot about Bard's Tale! How is forgetting that game even possible??

Our copy had a glitch, though. We were never able to get out of the dungeon in the tavern. I mapped every single tile of that stupid place, but there wasn't a way out. So I never really got far with the game.

I checked out that link... you're right that it's odd they didn't include the graphics on the fronts of the keys. Especially when they claim that they are 'sparing no expense'.

Overall it's not a bad price for something novel!

16. GoodGame

Spec-wise, that's a lot of money for a slightly beefed up netbook.

17. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Ah, the days of mapping dungeons on graph paper.

Dungeons full of magical darkness, spinners, teleporters and antimagic zones. And also 99 berserkers, 99 berserkers, 99 berserkers and 99 berserkers.

18. CKS

CKS Deity

MIBL is your friend.