What's your favorite difficulty level for fun playing?

What's your favorite difficulty level for fun playing?

• Chieftain

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Warlord

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Regent

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Monarch

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Emperor

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Demigod

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Deity

• Sid

• Total voters

fireblade80

Chieftain
Hello everybody!

I am curious about which difficulty level you find the most pleasurable experience in.

This is not a question about which is the highest difficulty at which you can play, but rather which difficulty setting (and maybe other map / rival civs settings) determines the most fun playtime in your case.

In my case, it is Emperor / Continents 70% / Large / Sedentary barbs. Monarch is far too easy (less fun), while Demigod is a struggle at this moment. :)

Regent/Monarch for me. I could hold my own at Emp if I really try at ti, but I play the game to have fun. I'm past the 'it's hard but I beat it anyway so it's fun!' stage in my life.

Emperor - Pangea - lowest amount of land - no barbs.

Deity/Pangaea/ample number of civs.

With a good start, and once the game is over the early bump and you are somewhat eyelevel with the AIs ...

Monarch/Huge map/7 rivals/normal aggression. The isolation everyone starts with and the relative scarcity of key resources makes this a difficult and fun combo. It's easy to survive, not so easy to win.

Monarch/Huge map with continents/4 rivals/no barbs. I found I really like the crazy expansion in the beginning and dealing with a runaway civ at the end. It's not a point thing for me.

Monarch for me. Regent isn't much of a challenge unless I get a really crummy start (like some of the Games of the Month have been known to provide), and if I'm playing Emperor I really have to play well to be able to win. Monarch gives me a pretty good chance of winning, but isn't a cakewalk, either. For a nice, relaxing evening of Civ3, Monarch's the level for me. Emperor is fun at times, too, but requires extra effort that I don't always feel like giving.

I said regent. Monarch can start to frustrate me, I haven't quite gotten used to it. And every now and then, Regent can be quite a challenge.
Like when I got stuck on my own island close enough to the continent. The Vikings conquered the Byzantines, half of the English, then with the help of the French, took out the Russians. I thought that was pretty impressive for a regent AI until I discovered the other continent, where Germany owned the entire thing, having destroyed the Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch.

My last solo games have been Monarch, Huge, Pangea with the full allotment of AI civs for that map size, with everyone, including me, set to Random. Cultural linked starting is turned off.

Monarch, large pangaea, scarce resources, full set of AI sometimes boosted to 31, some barbs and AI aggression set to maximum

I can usually beat Emperor level but find city micro management tedious after the early stages. Dropping down a level lets me focus on (largely resource driven) strategy and tactics.

Monarch/70% continents/Large/Random.

Haven't quite got the hang of Monarch yet, but I feel that I wouldn't develop my skills if I sunk back down a level while doing reasonable on Monarch.

I play on Emperor now and, although I find it rather hard, I usually win if I pay enough attention in the Ancient Age. I usually play Standard / 60% Pangea / Normal / Temperate / 4 Million / Sedentary Barbs.

Since I'm not that great and haven't gotten through an entire game yet, I would say Chieftain, but I have done a lot of research before so I play at Regeant.

I prefer Emperor, but i want a decent start to make it fun. Standard / Pangaea / 70% water/ Wet/ Warm/ 5 Billion / Roaming Barbs are my preferred settings.

I think Monarch/Emperor is the most balanced difficulty in that it gives the AI enough of a starting, unit support,and production advantage to make up for AI inefficiencies

Those 2 difficulty levels also allow for the broadest range of maps for the most challenge. Without being tied to only some map types that negates some of the insane AI advantages at the higher difficulty.

Monarch for testing weird and special rules (prolly what you define as 'fun' in OP). Otherwise I'm playing Emperor (or higher if number of cities are set from the start (see scenarios)).

Top Bottom