1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] What's your favorite expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hellenism Salesman, Feb 18, 2021.

Tags:
?

What is your favorite Civ VI expansion? Why?

1. Miscellaneous DLC packs (Australia, Poland, Macedon & Persia, Indonesia & Khmer)

2. Rise and Fall

3. Gathering Storm

4. New Frontier Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Warlord

Civ VI has had lots of DLC over its lifetime, notably in the form of Expansion Packs. So my question for you is: which expansion is your favorite?

Now when we're judging them, I'm not talking about overall quality or which is the best buy, I am asking purely about which one brings you the most enjoyment and why.

Note: Even though it was not released at once, I am counting the New Frontier Pass as an individual expansion. Additionally, for the sake of putting them somewhere, I'm also counting all of those single DLCs that Firaxis was releasing directly after launch (Australia, Poland, Khmer, Indonesia, etc). I don't really expect many to choose them, but hey- they're there.

2. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Gathering Storm, because of the great Civilizations and Leaders we got from it. They were just so unique, so fun, yet not too lavishly OP. I'm talking to you, Gran Colombia.

Karmah, conorbebe, j51 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Villager720

Villager720 Warlord

I enjoyed almost none of the Rise and Fall additions, so for me it's : GS>NF>RF.
    Ages are too 'gamey' and force you into shooting for a lot of the same stuff every game, regardless of how you'd like to play ("Guess I'll build a galley as the Zulu for the EPs"). I really hope we don't see Ages in Civ VII.
    Governors are ... fine?
    And I'm not wild about the mechanics of the loyalty system.

4. raen

raen Coat of Arms

5. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

GS really offered us a crazily complex twist of the ruleset dynamics and yet simultaneously, very cool set of other features lead by impressive "Global Warming" stuff, etc !

6. Duke William of Normandy

As OP predicted, no one sees the little guys as their favorite Expansion.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  7. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Gathering Storm definitely with bringing in natural disasters, World Congress back, and bringing in civs with unique playstyles.
    NFP pass has brought in great things but not all are for me.

8. Duke William of Normandy

Glad it's doing its job properly. Not meant to snark, just a comment on the NFP.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  9. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

For me it's clearly GS, I didn't have to think too much.

10. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I voted for Rise and Fall. Gathering Storm is nice but honestly the global warming stuff doesn't do that much for me because all of my games are decided before it ever has any impact. Rise and Fall actually changed how I have to play the game by caring about ages and governors.

11. wxstall

wxstall Chieftain

It was Rise and Fall for me. The addition of eras, loyalty, and governors felt so natural that I can’t imagine civ6 without them now. Gathering storm is certainly a close second with the natural disasters element and the strategic resource overhaul. The diplomatic stuff did not quite live up to my expectations though. I will say that GS did have the best suite of new civs though.

NFP by design is just no comparison. Since game modes are optional, it makes them impossible to weave into other game/civ mechanics since not all are always enabled. If NFP had been a proper 3rd expansion centered around a more robust economics mode (and a new Econ VC) and expanded barbarians like our upcoming mode, then it certainly could have competed for the best expansion.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

While the disasters and WC were generally better than I anticipated, having disliked them in previous iterations, I enjoyed the features of RNF more than GS. With regards to NFP, I feel like I won't be able to judge it properly until it's complete. However, so far I dislike some Modes and would have liked others to be more fully integrated. There are good ideas (like Barb and Economy Modes) that would have benefited tremendously from receiving the full expansion treatment.

kaspergm, Zaarin and Stilgar08 like this.
  13. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

When I started thinking about this, I realized that the changes that improved my experience the most were actually the ones that came in the free updates, like the rebalanced religious beliefs.

But I guess I'll vote for Gathering Storm, just because Meenakshi Temple is one of my most consistently built wonders.

14. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

I'm in the R&F department. I enjoy GS, but R&F really set the tone of the game more thoroughly for me.

The features introduced there needed polish when the expansion came out (as usual), but after this has been done (I even consider it an ongoing task) it added more to vanilla than GS did IMO.

NFP is nice and all and I preordered, but I'm a full expansion guy and in case FXS decides to got for a new season after April I might just play with what's in the game until then and get "NFP2" once it's completed...

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

It's okay. I'd still put NFP as my second favorite.

16. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

GS for the unique civs and the disasters. If it's any consolation, my second vote would have gone to the miscellaneous DLC. I think I've played as Persia and Poland more than I've played any vanilla or R&F civ except maybe Cree.

17. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Gathering Storm for me. The NFP I'm 50/50, I really didn't like most of the modes, and some have way too much fantasy elements for my taste, however corporations is great, and barbarian clans looks to be as promising.

if they did another NFP, I hope It's all on the same level as those 2.

18. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Warlord

I appreciate that single pity vote for the misc. DLCs :lol:

Poor little guys...

19. Alexander's Hetaroi

To be fair I think most of my favorites civs come from the misc. DLCs and I would rank it been if not for a lack of content besides mainly scenarios which I never play.

20. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I love features from both RnF and GS, but I think Loyalty has to hand it over to RnF. Being able to do something about cities forward settled against me without having to go to war is a real game changer for me. Also polders.