1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite government?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by dhokarena56, Aug 16, 2010.

?

What's your favorite government?

1. Despotism

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Monarchy

20 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Republic

39 vote(s)
    40.2%
  4. Feudalism

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Democracy

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Communism

19 vote(s)
    19.6%
  7. Fascism

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. dhokarena56

dhokarena56 Chieftain

I wanted to see what people think...personally, I'm very fond of Republic; it gives you the commerce bonus early, and its low unit support and decent corruption are great for expansion.

2. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

Monarchy is best, then Democracy, then Fascism, then Republic, I don't like the others that much

In Monarchy there is no war weariness, you can draft 2 units per turn and you pay your citizens, thus good with war and peace, if I'm playing as a religious civ I go through pereiods of Democracy and in a prolonged world war i do Fascism.

Feudalism, the opposite of monarchy is worthless, Communism, I also hate because of forced labour and communal corruption

3. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

Same. I usually try to slingshot for Republic and stay in it. War weariness is low, so that usually isn't a problem for me. Lower corruption means more core and semi-core cities that can actually build things. Commerce bonus will usually pay for unit support with something left over. Only problem is happiness - get those luxuries!

Monarchy second choice. I don't have to go through second anarchy and optional techs for Communism or Democracy (War weariness as well). Feudalism is a specialty government I never use. Fascism isn't worth it.

4. CELTICEMPIRE

Whats the point of Feudalism, it has war weariness, forced labor and communal corruption, its all the things I hate about other gov types combined to make one totally miserable government

One thing Ive learned from being on civfanatics is that I think differently than everyone else on here

5. Aramazd

Aramazd Chieftain

Republic mostly, I don't find democracy worth the extra anarchy. Communism is great for warring and a close second.

Fascism is by far the worst and it comes at the same time as communism.

6. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Not everyone: I agree with you on Feudalism... :thumbsup:

However, there's one single case, where Feudalism comes in useful: if you are playing for an ultra-fast 100K victory.

I voted Republic, because it comes so early and is almost as good as Democracy. (In fact it may be as good as Democracy in most circumstances: Democracy's lower corruption is counter-balanced by higher unit upkeep and higher war weariness. The extra anarchy and the three extra optional techs that you usually don't need, make Demo quite impracticable.)

Monarchy may be easier to handle for beginners, because in Republic you need to play carefully and pay attention to avoid war weariness, to hook up/trade luxuries and to not "overproduce" military units. All of which takes a bit of getting used to.

7. dhokarena56

dhokarena56 Chieftain

How do you use Feudalism for an extra-early 100k cultural victory?

8. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

I don't think you think differently either. It's usually one of the worst choices. It takes a combination of small cities and huge military. Which, with war weariness, doesn't usually make a lot of sense.

I usually try to grow my cities to 12 and beyond, which is where Feudalism is really horrible.

Agree on communal corruption. It sounds nice in theory, but I don't like having my best cities go downhill.

9. dhokarena56

dhokarena56 Chieftain

Question for a mod idea I have: if you had a version of Democracy- with the commerce bonus, and pay to rush- with a little bit of unit support and Communal corruption, would you take it?

10. Nergal

Nergal Chieftain

Feudalism and Fascism are loved by the AI but are 2 of the worst choices ever. There are reasons for them but applicable in only a very few cases for the human player. Its the same with Democracy. The AI loves it but it only makes minor differences to huiman players. For true warmongering communism cannt be beaten. My late game conquests I am making 4 turn per tech research plus a huge bonus for upgrades and everyone is happy. It beats Republic into a cocked hat. Every city is producing units.

11. CELTICEMPIRE

Ive played civ 3 for years but only got conquests a few months ago
    the first time i played i thought feudalism might be good, a couple turns later i had another revolution

Long live the king!

12. CELTICEMPIRE

13. Nergal

Nergal Chieftain

Tier 1 governments would be Republic and Monarchy. Possibly Feudalism. Compare with CAII. Democracy is brilliant for Spaceship victory etc. Fascism maybe for a small civ going for dopmination/conquest but for conquest communism works excellently.

14. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

I wouldn't. Communal corruption sounds good, but that's going to mean that none of your cities are really great. The way regular corruption works, you have some core cities that are better than communal and the far-out ones you turn into scientist farms. An interesting question for a poll would be - would you take communal corruption or regular corruption, all other things being equal?

My problems with Democracy are the two optional techs (one expensive) and Anarchy. War Weariness would also get to be a problem.

15. Fredgerd

Fredgerd Chieftain

I have to disagree on fascism. It works great for military victory. Monarchy is and republic are my favorites though.

16. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

Despotism is extremely underrated.

17. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Use Republic to get to the domination limit quickly. Then switch to Feudalism. Irrigate all the outer towns and pop-rush temples and libraries, cathedrals and universities, whenever a town has enough shields in the box and enough population.

You can't do it that fast with cash-rushing. And all the other forced labor governments are not as good: Despotism doesn't have extra food on irrigated grassland, so the pop doesn't re-grow fast enough, and Communism comes too late. (You don't want to spend money to research all the way into the Industrial Age. That money is better invested into short-rushing/upgrading knights, while still in the expansion/Republic phase.)

18. CELTICEMPIRE

:confused:

I guess it is better than feudalism

19. aukrest

aukrest History Buff

I don't know, I find communal corruption not that bad, in fact it made it possible for about half of my empire to finally produce in my latest game.

20. Calis

Calis on time

Whenever possible, I chose Republic (my vote here). In games with lots of wars, Monarchy is best of course.

Usually, when Communism comes up, my games are decided already.

Feudalism ist only good for 100K games, as you can whip culture buildings quickly.

I never used Fascism. And in fast research games Democracy is off the research path and just a waste of time. Republic is much better in my opinion anyway, due to the unit support.

In very fast HOF games, I do not change government at all, as it takes time to switch government (except for religious civs of course).