Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Communism

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Fascism

Votes: 10 10.2%

• Total voters
Are you mistaking this for an OT conversation, perhaps? :confused:

I have never seen that in Civ 3.
Oh no. In the real world, communism is not necessarily corrupt. Like all forms of statism, it is incompetent and evil but that's not the same thing. Not exactly anyway.

However what I said is true in the game. Ask Matilda. In one of the early SGOTMs the objective was a 100K victory and you were only allowed to use communism or despotism. Of course, this means a lot of cities. Her team decided to switch when they learned the tech and she got to pull the trigger. Every city. Completely corrupt. All of them. I could probably find the thread but I'm too lazy. The game was called Celtic Commies or something like that and I think she was playing on the X-Team.

This is a bit of an unusual case. The real problem with Commie in the game is that it comes too late. By the time I get there, I have one hundred to two hundred cities and the vast majority are configured as science farms. Even in a space game, it makes no sense to try and re-orient everything. Much more efficient to just stick with Republic.

However what I said is true in the game. Ask Matilda. In one of the early SGOTMs the objective was a 100K victory and you were only allowed to use communism or despotism.
SGOTM6, if anyone's interested. This should be the thread in question (it has a "Mathilda" in it, anyway); I'll try to dig up the actual post showing the switch to Communism.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=111452

EDIT: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=2655578#post2655578

Turn 5.

SGOTM6, if anyone's interested. This should be the thread in question (it has a "Mathilda" in it, anyway); I'll try to dig up the actual post showing the switch to Communism.

Turn 5.
Thanks, dude. It seems my memory was bad about the team she was playing for. Apparently it was Peanut. Here is the post.

Edit: oh, I see. You already found it. And it's just more proof that anarchy is the best government/

In a normal game of C3C 100% corruption does not exist. It does not exceed 90% without courthouses/police stations.

I prefer using Monarchy, mainly for the unit support. After that, Communism if I am going for a World War and need the extra unit support. Speaking of that, can someone explain governments and their unit support? I think I understand, but want to make sure.

Warring in Republic. You just gotta get good at it. MP's don't do anything. WW is fun to manage.

I prefer using Monarchy, mainly for the unit support. After that, Communism if I am going for a World War and need the extra unit support. Speaking of that, can someone explain governments and their unit support? I think I understand, but want to make sure.

You can look up the details in the Civilopedia under governments.

Speaking of that, can someone explain governments and their unit support? I think I understand, but want to make sure.

Each government gives you a certain number of free (no upkeep) units for each city; with some governments, this number is the same regardless of the size of the city (Despo, Communism), but for the others, it changes based on the size. Each unit above the number of free units costs 1 gpt in upkeep (except in Republic, which cost 2 gpt, and Feudalism, which cost 3 gpt). Slave units do not count for upkeep (captured Workers and Artillery, usually). For example:

A civ has 20 cities; 5 are Metros (13+), 5 are Cities (7-12), and 10 are Towns (1-6).
In Communism, it can support 180 units free of cost (6*20); any units over that 180 cost 1 gpt each.
In Republic, it can support 45 units (1*10 + 3*5 + 4*5), with remaining units costing 2 gpt each.
In Feudalism, it can support 65 units (5*10 + 2*5 + 1*5), with remaining units costing 3 gpt each.
In Democracy, it can support 0 units; all units cost 1 gpt.
In Fascism, it can support 125 units (4*10 + 7*5 + 10*5), with remaining units costing 1 gpt.
In Despotism, it can support 80 units (4*20), with remaining units costing 1 gpt.
In Monarchy, it can support 80 units (2*10 + 4*5 + 8*5), with remaining units costing 1 gpt.

So for our example civ, Communism would likely give it the best support, as Republic wouldn't have enough large cities to increase the income to a size able to support the number of cities Commie can. If they were all Towns, Feudalism would give the most Support (200 free units), while if they were all Cities or Metros, Fascism would likely be the best choice (7 units/City and 10 units/Metro).

Cool! That helps me a lot. I like using Monarchy the best, but I do like Communism for long wars. Democracy does help with the commerce boost, but that doesn't outweigh having dozens of units. Thankee ChaosArbiter!

You just haven't had enough cities. Aside from the game I mentioned above, SirPleb and Alexman have done analyses of the formula. That's how it works.

I had over a 100 cities and they were spread across the globe.

Turn 5.

I never ran into anything like that where all cities were only producing 1 shield.

Anarchy. Why is it not on here?
Seriously, I prefer fascism.
Anarchy is clearly the best government. Unfortunately, Sid the Commie chose to turn it into a synonym for chaos.

Oh wait... you were talking about the game. Then I suppose it's because no one is in favour of chaos.

Apparently Sid the Commie also tried to make Fascism strong, so he is a commie totalitarian.

commie totalitarian is redundant. As for "making fascism strong", it only exists in Civ3 and is useless even there. Contrast that with Civ4's state property civic or Civ5's Order policies.

If I have a large empire 20+ cities, then it's a Communism, no doubts!

I prefer monarchy usually especially that I fight lots of epic wars. Republic is also good but there are severe limitations to empire management and large problems setting it up:
1) In order to function after slingshot one needs to get rid of almost all units especially as even supporting workers is hard.
2) Slingshot means that there is no trade infrastructure to really use it's advantages and very few real cities to give the support required.
3) Even after the pain went over there is a limit to the amount of units possible and this prolongs the wars later unless the tech advantage is overwhelming
So, I go republic only if I can get currency and construction quickly or already got them and I see and advance that I can withstand 20-30 turns of military paralisys until the infrastructure is emplaced (usally by rushing) and enough towns become cities. Otherwise I go Monarchy to continue the expansion.

shl7070 said:
1) In order to function after slingshot one needs to get rid of almost all units especially as even supporting workers is hard.

Just lower the science slider and increase taxes.

shl7070 said:
2) Slingshot means that there is no trade infrastructure to really use it's advantages and very few real cities to give the support required.

Build roads.

shl7070 said:
3) Even after the pain went over there is a limit to the amount of units possible and this prolongs the wars later unless the tech advantage is overwhelming

Sell techs for gpt when possible. Also, not if you have cash later.

:bump:

Top Bottom