1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite map size to play on? Poll.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Dec 29, 2018.

?

What's your favorite map size to play on?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2019.
  1. Duel

0.5%
  2. Tiny

0.5%
  3. Small

15.5%
  4. Standard

31.6%
  5. Large

24.4%
  6. Huge

27.5%
  1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I am just curious what your favorite map size to play on is. For me it's "small" or "standard". I like maps that give me some room to grow but are still small enough to manage. I find "large" and "huge" to just be too big because they are a bear to get through especially if you are going for a domination or religious victory. Also, my computer is a bit slow so "large" and "huge" maps give me really slow turn times.

Let me know why you pick a certain map size. :)

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I always play Standard or Small. I like it if there's only a small selection of civs involved, keeps playing against the civs more fresh than when you play with 12 or even more civs and see the same leaders in most games. I also like the shorter turn times on the smaller maps. And lastly, I do RelV every now and then, and while it's fun against 7 civs, it's tedious against 11+.

Our_DeCay likes this.
  3. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Huge

I hate spawning 6 tiles from another civ unless it's in yaemp

Socrates99 and Phoenix1595 like this.
  4. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

Huge maps and epic speed is the way I roll. Makes some victories a bit of a pain though, I don't think I'll ever attempt to win a religious victory again.

5. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Large provides the best balance for me. Huge *implies* there's more land, but because of bad map generation (often 4-5 players will spawn within 20 tiles of each other - ON A HUGE MAP!!! good luck being the coastal civ in that scenario), there really isn't compared to Large, which has one fewer civ by comparison.

6. redfox85

redfox85 Chieftain

I play standard ... because the lux per continent is not scaled to map size. If it was - I would likely be playing huge as thats all I played in civ v.

Julia97 likes this.
  7. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

I solve this by removing 2 civs and 3 - 4 city states, gives you more of a breather.

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Large, though I like Standard almost as much. Standard doesn't feel big enough, but my computer can handle it much better. Large feels about the right size, but does impact my turn times a bit, and takes forever to load the game.

I still keep thinking I may build a new computer before Gathering Storm comes out. I really would like to play huge maps.

SupremacyKing2 likes this.
  9. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

If i want a victory game, small or standard.
    If i want long game with heavy mods, ynamp giant (cannot run ludicrous, else i would use that instead).

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Same, I can't vote, I prefer long games and use bigger maps than vanilla sizes.

11. Brutus2

Brutus2 Chieftain

I find small map to be just right. A good number of civs to provide competition without making it an endless hassle to complete domination or religion victories. Usually civs are spread out enough to provide enough room to settle with maybe one early war with a neighbor which again seems just right. Also, any map Large or above does slow down my laptop a good bit in the late game. I'll play Standard if I know I'm going for Science or Culture victory but I don't find that larger maps necessarily provide more room to expand as they are just more crowded while Small map stil easily has enough space for 8-10 good size cities.

12. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

I only play huge maps. All else just doesn't feel like I'm inhabiting a world.

13. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Bigger modded sizes. Usually the "Gigantic" size from my own mod (Larger Map Sizes), or if I'm playing YNAMP Terra, Enormous 2:1.

14. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

Standard and Large. Huge is to big , and any less then standard sucks.

15. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Standard, no idea why it defaults to small, small is quite close and limits your ability to peace out.

Socrates99, King Rad and Sherlock like this.
  16. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Usually standard, unless if I'm feeling like a shorter game.

Although now that I think of it, I don't think I've even tried a game on anything larger. Maybe I should give it a shot sometime to see how it goes.

17. krokobone

krokobone Chieftain

I almost always play on standard. It's big enough to feel like a "real" world, but isn't too large to make everything tedious.

Elhoim and SupremacyKing2 like this.
  18. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Ditto for me.

19. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

I generally prefer larger map sizes. Colossal (160x100) is my favorite, although I usually have fun on most map sizes.

20. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

Generally I play standard and standard, only because the game seems more balanced for these settings. I like to play large and epic or huge and marathon.