1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite map size to play on? Poll.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Dec 29, 2018.

?

What's your favorite map size to play on?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2019.
  1. Duel

0.5%
  2. Tiny

0.5%
  3. Small

15.5%
  4. Standard

31.6%
  5. Large

24.4%
  6. Huge

27.5%
  1. isau

isau Deity

I have very specific settings.

Continents
    Small map size
    +2 AI Civs (7 total, up from 5)
    Sea level: Low

This results in some very satisfying, balanced maps, in my opinion. It makes early seafaring possible, and rewards exploration without being Pangea-easy. The smaller map with lowered sea level results in a lot of land area andmuch less wasted space on ocean (technically unrealistic but more satisfying to gameplay).

Spoiler :
    upload_2018-12-29_17-53-9.png

2. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

For the longest time - Standard. However, once I realized that Civ 6 map sizes are smaller than in Civ 5, and ICS is so much more rewarded, I started to try out Large maps with the Standard number of civs. So far so good, might become my new preference.

3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Huge or larger (YnAMP), usually with a reduced number of civs.

Ondolindë likes this.
  4. Frank21

Frank21 Chieftain

Large goes with epic speed to give a civ a chance before AI city spam buries it.

kingofsealand and Zaarin like this.
  5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Huge continents marathon speed

Ondolindë likes this.
  6. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Large. I like to play really big maps, i'd choose Huge but the turn times become too much for me to bare from the late Renaissance era onwards. (i've an Intel i5-7400 @ 3.00Ghz with 4 cores.)

I chose Huge in both Civ IV and Civ V.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

I usually do small with a low sea level or large with a high sea level -- usually fractal but sometimes continents.

I like those setting because both usually put interesting continental features like penisulas, bays, mountain passes, or somewhat large islands in the middle of the one of two big oceans.

comatosedragon likes this.
  8. tedhebert

tedhebert King

Always huge for me ! I like the 'explore' part of the 4Xs ;-)

9. ezysquire

ezysquire Warlord

Small maps for shorter turn times.

10. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

Standard. But only because my PC is ancient. All previous version of civ I've played huge exclusively. Because...Why not?

11. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

I always play on a small map. It's big enough that it feels alive but doesn't have to much other civs to get confusing or too much.
    I maybe would play standard sometimes but my puny laptop hardware objects. :>

12. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

Mostly standard, sometimes large. I do play from time to time on huge, but that requires peaceful gameplay from me.. my last geme on huge ended up whith some conquest and so many cities i couldn't remember to which i should pay attention (especially when coming back after break).

Also i would disagree that on maps large+ you have more space to explore. It seems that game alway put me one city space from other nation.. at least one. Also loyalty limits you from settling those juicy spots which large maps tend to offer.

Question to you guys: how to set map for korea??? I have trouble to get a hill with them in capitol and for first settler (really it's that bad).

13. Josephias

Josephias King

Betwen standard and large normally, too. I find these maps with room and variety enough to make for an interesting game, without it dragging too much resources or time as the huge maps.

14. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

In both Civ 5 and 6 I pretty much always play on huge, usually quick speed (sometimes standard), usually turning the # of civs down to 8 or 10

15. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I enjoy the largest sized maps when playing Fractal or Archipelago. Continents, Pangaea and Inland sea I prefer a bit smaller, because a lot of the map is dead space. I don't tend to play real earth maps, I like the exploration aspect of randomly shaped land masses.

On a side note, I'm quite keen to see the new underlying plate tectonics stuff in the next expansion. I guess that will be added to the base game as well, seeing as how it is a pretty fundamental change in the way maps are generated.

16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Large more frequently than any other size as the turn times aren't too terrible. Huge is second if I'm feeling patient. Occasionally a larger YnAMP map size. Occasionally small or standard for quicker games (usually on standard speed but occasionally on quick).

I like the feel of a big world to explore. I often play with one less than the standard number of major civs for the map size.

17. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I usually play on real Earth maps without TSL, but the new map generation scripts will have me playing on random maps for a while.

18. jddods

jddods Prince

Large, with max CS and a couple of civs removed.

19. Greywulf

Greywulf King

Probably a large map for me...Don't really care for those tiny maps. Larger feels more immersive for me.

Zaarin and Leathaface like this.
  20. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I find small maps basically unplayable - not enough places to found a city, not enough resources.