1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite map size to play on? Poll.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Dec 29, 2018.

?

What's your favorite map size to play on?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2019.
  1. Duel

0.5%
  2. Tiny

0.5%
  3. Small

15.5%
  4. Standard

31.6%
  5. Large

24.4%
  6. Huge

27.5%
  1. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Actually, I got tangled up there. I meant that Loyalty might be more of a problem with maps other than Pangaea. Also, it might take a lot longer if you have to build navies, etc.

2. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Large, if my processor could handled it i would be playing on huge.

But i must say when my pc was in repair and i used my old i7 2600k pc.
    I did find civ 6 enjoyable on a standard map. I liked not having to explore the whole map.
    As i likely dont do anything with 1/2 of the map on size large. It still felt good.
    It also felt there was less mircomanagement with leaders you dont really need
    to negotiate with. Civs not near your borders,
    nor close to your enemies if you want to work together beating them.

3. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

It's fair to say that balancing is not the game designer stronger suit , so I keep myself to standart apparently they balanced the game around it.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  4. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I think both statements are valid.

I tried a Norway island plates huge map @ marathon and finished at a later date than the ludicrous pangea map. I can see the Indonesian archipelago as a loyalty issue. I'd just leave them be (as well as any other citadels of loyalty) concentrating instead of the mainland. At a point where I had more than a little science, I'd take a couple of turns, research the proper naval techs, buy a navy, and close the game out. I'd like to say a navy is necessary, but it's not. I find I can navigate open ocean even while at war with a hostile AI with a navy (provided my units are an era or two ahead). Details, details, shrug. Delving deeper into details of hypotheticals of maps this large quickly becomes an exercise in futility IMO.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Ferocitus likes this.
  5. nrh

nrh Chieftain

I use Giant on YNAMP! because Ludicrous always crashes lol
    honestly any smaller and I would be extremely sad and disappointed. I'm pretty bummed out that larger sizes aren't working. -_-

Ferocitus and RohirrimElf like this.
  6. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Which processor are you using? I’m using the latest processor around time of launch (i7 6700k). And i find the last era’s unbearable on huge. Epic gamespeed.

7. nrh

nrh Chieftain

i5 4670k on the computer that I play civ 6 on
    fun fact: the i5 4670k is one of the best on the market for video game emulation of other consoles because of its design structure. maybe great for civ 6?

also i play marathon . . .

RohirrimElf likes this.
  8. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

@nrh i5-4690k > i54670k ;)

j/k...both are great CPUs, but the edge goes to the 4690 for o/c'ing - Devil's Canyon ftw!

I've been using an i5-4690k and haven't had any trouble with the larger size YnAMP maps. My bottleneck used to be my GPU.

Ferocitus and RohirrimElf like this.
  9. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

It must be on me then. Perhaps i should try normal gamespeed instead of epic on the biggest map. Saves on total number of turns. Turn times are just so nice on large maps that i could not have bothered switching on my last 6-8 full playthroughs.

10. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I've found the opposite to be true for my favoured styles of play. The largest maps and at least 20 civs gives each one a chance to start fairly well and makes it a challenge at higher levels instead of the dull turkey shoot of small maps at fast pace.

LOL. Pangaea is a "hypothetical" one for me. I never play those type of maps. I like the civs to be spread out on TSL-like continents where they can compete with others before I get to them. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019