1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Whats your favorite Rise and Fall Leader or Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Harun-al Rashid (Arabia), Feb 10, 2018.

?

Whats your favorite?

1. Lautaro

13 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Robert the Bruce

21 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Poundmaker

43 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. Chandragupta

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Genghis Khan

14 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. Seondoek

14 vote(s)
    8.8%
  7. Shaka

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Wilhelmina

13 vote(s)
    8.2%
  9. Tamar

25 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

Robert the Bruce, strong sense of Scottish pride in my family, so I had to vote for him. I am not sure that its the best game play choice, but Im a fan of the happiness buffs to science and production.

2. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Still have Genghis, Shaka and Chandragupta left to play, but I still stand by Robert the Bro being the strongest leader.

Thormodr likes this.
  3. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

Yeah in Multiplayer Gandhi is by far the better warmonger ironically. The territorial expansion things means you just get dogpiled into irrelevance since everyone as you say declares war on sight (Brucie, Tamar, and Cyrus have the same issue, also what is with this expansion and all leaders having a slightly variation of one ability?) Meanwhile Gandhi's ability is actually very strong in MP, I've seen several people get crippled by warring with Gandhi, War Weariness quickly spirals out of control.

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Alex is immune to Gandhi's hidden warmonger abilities.

Japper007 likes this.
  5. Xmonger

Xmonger Chieftain

So far Robert the Bruce. I mean come on! the man throws a party, brings in the pearls and sea turtles and his people produce a mars rocket! What's not to love about that?

6. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

I like Tamar as an ally. She's typically easy to keep happy as long as her random agenda is something sensible.

Thormodr likes this.
  7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

So far Poundmaker. I then started a game as the Mapuche, but I found their abilities disappointing. I was doing okay in the game in war against Egypt but rerolled and am now in a game as Wilhelmina. I'm about to get rolled by Genghis Khan but at least I have lots of potential polder spots.

8. Vahnstad

Vahnstad Chieftain

1 Mapuche
    2 Netherlands
    3 Mongolia
    4 Cree
    5 Scotland
    6 Georgia
    7 Zulu
    8 Korea
    9 India

They're all fine.

9. NauticalStrike

NauticalStrike Chieftain

Played a game as Mapuche. Their UI is extremely strong, especially if you have a good start. Very quick political philosophy. Also have the coolest mechanics via bonuses towards pillaging, warring golden age civs, and providing offensive loyalty. They seem difficult to use properly, which is exciting. Looking forward to more games as them.

Shaka is a powerhouse man. Especially now that it is so easy to buy units with faith; free unit upgrades to corps/armies. I love the faith thing, it gives more reason to care about corps/armies as they were generally too many hammers to be worth imo. Now Shakas units stay relevant forever, and it's terrifying. Especially when you finally get around to upgrading them.

Cree is are just...good. Mekewaps, traders...really easy to go real tall. They were fun.

10. cknwo

cknwo Chieftain

Cree, Korea, Scotland, Zulu, Netherlands, Mongols, Mapuche, Georgia/India

I wanted to like Georgia, but

Protectionist War is too situational.

Walls are: Too late for getting only 3 faith. Plus I like art making look and feel really special while playing. I have to get out a magnifying glass to enjoy the art work on these Tsikhe.

ChocolateShake likes this.
  11. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Yup as a builder, I was kind of disappointed that Georgia's walls aren't very noticeable.

Thormodr and cknwo like this.
  12. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Shaka sounds OP. Question though: How does one buy military units (other than the warrior monk) with faith? Theocracy doesn't seem to unlock that ability anymore.

13. liv

liv Chieftain

You have to build the government plaza building that allows it. It is second tier

14. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I see. I went with a different choice in my current playthrough, so I guess I can't buy units with faith in this game? And there's no way to deconstruct government tier buildings right?

15. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Chieftain

Ranking them in terms of how much fun they seem to play for me:

9. India (Chandragupta): Doesn't really shake up the framework for India all that much, and even though the movement and strength is nice, one could argue that Gandhi is actually better for late game wars, given his propensity to tank unhappiness. Sorry Chandy, your abs still win my heart.

8. Mongolia: Genghis has a number of interesting tricks to differentiate him from other warmongers, but I still think I'd prefer playing as Tomyris for my steppe lord ambitions.

7. Netherlands: The adjacency bonuses seem strong, but they seem a bit boring compared to the other bonuses. Plus, yet another culture bomb district. Wilhelmina's LA seems to be the most underwhelming out of all the leaders here, and polders - while stupid strong when you can build them - are just so situational. The Netherlands just don't get me that excited.

6. Korea: Now, Korea are probably the strongest Civ of the bunch, but strongest doesn't necessarily mean the most fun. They seem a lot like their Civ V counterpart: turtle, tech, total victory. Just a bit "safe" in playstyle, though the adjacency bonuses are quite unique. I don't dislike Korea, quite the contrary actually; I just get more fired up about the other Civs in R&F.

5. Georgia: I'm kind of a tall, turtle-type player, so Georgia seems right up my alley. I was a bit underwhelmed by their UA when revealed, but now that I've played R&F, I can see how good it really can be. I'm also protective of my city-states, so Tamar helps with that as well! The only thing I dislike about them is their unique wall, but I can still see myself having quite a bit of fun with the Georgians.

4. Cree: The way the Cree expand their borders is one of the most interesting ways of the expansion Civ VI has right now, and that is a big plus to me (especially with how many culture bombs there are floating around). I also value my alliances, so Poundmaker seems well suited to me. The Mekewap also might be the best tile improvement in the game, but it's at least up there. I'll have to play them to see how much it all comes together, but first impressions seem promising!

3. Mapuche: Full disclosure: the Mapuche are the only Civ I've managed to get my hands on from this expansion, as I really wanted my first win to be a culture victory. But they subvert a lot of the tropes that the game has set up and are just so friggin' interesting! Their status as a culture turtle who bites back (I forget who was the first person on the forum who said that, and I wish I could credit you because it's such an apt descriptor; "cultural snapping turtle" has such a ring to it) is really neat, and they can be played as an empire slayer to deal with runaways! The Chemamull is equally unique, and quite a strong tile improvement for early game civics and late game tourism. They're just a blast to play as, and well worth the inclusion in the expansion.

2. Zulu: I was kind of dreading seeing the Zulu back when their inclusion was leaked, but I retract all those feelings after seeing how they play in a game. Besides Tomyris and Sumeria, they seem easily to be the most interesting warmongering Civ in the game. A focus on building armies and an easy way to acquire said corps/armies is really neat, and the Ikanda giving bonus housing just makes getting early encampments all the more worthwhile. And make those armies & corps stronger? Sign me up. Shaka, it's good to have you back.

1. Scotland: I have a strong suspicion that Scotland will now be my favorite Civ in the game. They're not at all what I was expecting, but they seem tailor made for the kind of game I like to play. A focus on production & science? Check. Another way to get culture & amenities? Check. Peaceful gameplay with a way to deal with runaways? Check. I'm not a fan of the highlander, but I'll see how they are in an actual game. Even though I'm of the strong opinion that early game is the most crucial part of a Civ, I'm always intrigued by Civs that try to peak later on, and Scotland now seems like the best late game Civ of the bunch. My next game is going to be with Scotland, and I can't wait to play as them.

16. liv

liv Chieftain

I agreed with your assessment of Wilhelmina but I did not find the polders stupid strong. In what ways are they strong?

17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

This is from the wiki:
    +1 Food

+1 Food for every adjacent Polder
    +1 Production
    +0.5 Housing
    +4 Gold (with Civil Engineering)
    +2 additional Food and +1 additional Production for every adjacent Polder (with Replaceable Parts)

That's a lot for a tile eventually when you can build them.

liv and Jewelrunna like this.
  18. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Chieftain

They're more situationally stupid good, if you can line up 3 polders next to each other, their late game yields are ridiculous. But that's kind of my point, they're too situational to be a reliable asset, which is why I don't care for the Netherlands as much as other Civs.

liv likes this.
  19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I didn't care for my game with her very much. Perhaps if I used her ships, but they come pretty late. Though I did have fun putting polders and fisheries everywhere. I spammed every single tile I could with fisheries, it was a sight to behold. A lot of work with my builders though.

I'm in my Zulu game, and wow are these guys powerful. I'm having a lot of fun with them. They might actually be my favorite warmonger civ now. I still like the Cree a lot, but I may have to change my vote. Cree still has my vote for peaceful civ. Zulus seem to dominate much more than the Mongols. Those corps easily beat out the +3 the Mongols get. Funny that the Mongols are the inferior warmongering civ this expansion.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

My current game found me near a medium sized lakes, and I was able to grab Huey. Yeah I do understand that I just lucked into the perfect situation, but it's fun.

Jewelrunna likes this.