1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your least favorite Civ and why?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Starwars, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

Just thought it'd be fun and interesting to have a counterpoint to the other topic and see what kinds of things people *don't* enjoy in their civs. :)

I don't think I can name one that I absolutely don't like. But I must admit I am not a fan of Persia despite it being insanely powerful. I like civ's that have a unique way to play them but I'm not a fan of civ's that gets really powerful bonuses by acting sort of odd in the game. So, declaring surprise wars on civ's across the map just to get that crazy movement bonus is obviously very strong but just feels weird and off-putting to me.

I also kind of dislike the Khmer. On first glance, their relic focus seems interesting but... just sending missionaries away to their death to gather relics just feels like a really strange gameplay loop for me personally.

huptiel likes this.
  2. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Korea. Their bonuses are win-more to things you'll already do and don't encourage any sort of different playstyle.

3. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

But that also makes it one of the best to play against. Always doing well in science. I manually add them in all my games as enemies.

For the same reason, civs that are never memorable to play against, in addition to have no especially fun mechanics to play with are the ones I hate. Specially religious, or diplomacy based civs. Since religion and diplomacy are themselves terrible mechanics.

Spain and Canada are some of the ones I despice the most.

4. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

I wonder how many times Zulu would be mentioned.

Yes, this is my least played civ. Boring boring boring

5. Bitterman

Bitterman Warlord

Zulu and Korea are probably the most boring civs that come to my mind now. They are both too straightforward for my tastes and insanely powerful even if played badly.

I haven't tried them yet but Colombia seems the same or worse than the zulu in that regard.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Scythia. So much I can't stand about this civ. But their UI is high on my list. And good luck playing them on a TSL Europe map and putting that UI on a plains square. You'll never grow. As I've seen when the AI did it on that map.

The duplicate horse thing is alright I suppose. Though a question, how do the mechanics of this work with the new (not so new anymore) resource requirements for things like horsemen?

Zulu aren't so bad, it's kind of cool getting those corps. Their main drawback is it can be a slow conquest, but very strong regardless.

As for Colombia, I love the higher movement. The general bonuses are kind of interesting, they can be a fun civ. The downside is how one sided they are. I can't see playing them peacefully.

And yes Korea is high on my list as well. Seeing as there is little to do with them to excel. Just build one district, put governors in cities. Build mines around that campus if you can. Not much to it. As many of you may know, I prefer Scotland. At least there you have a little more challenge in that you really want to get up to ecstatic cities, which isn't easy before your UI and zoos come along.

7. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Very good point tbh

oSiyeza likes this.
  8. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Any Domination one trick pony: Zulu, Macedon, Mongols, Gran Colombia, Ottomans. A notable exception is the Aztecs, who despite their war-oriented bonuses have enough going for them as non-aggressive players to be interesting. Aside from those, I find Brazil, Kongo, and England to all be very boring civs to play; I've played one game of each and those games were tediously dull.

My only GC game I played a peaceful science game. Your Settlers and Builders benefit from +1 movement, which gives them a decent industry and expansion boost, especially combined with Haciendas. I can't say they were exciting, but they were effective.

9. Weraptor

Weraptor King

Gandhi's India probably? Gotten tired of seeing the old man across the years...

10. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

Any of the domination civilizations - except for Norway of course. They allow a flexible play style that isn’t too absurdly overpowered and is balanced around ocean play. I tend to enjoy underrated civilizations, and the stave church adds just enough production to make coastal starts viable.

The concept of conquering and building my glorious kingdom off of the backs of poorly managed ‘empires’ has never appealed to me. The very thought of having to manage someone else’s city makes me shiver

11. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Same here. Ghandi is a no-no for me !

12. Bactrian

Bactrian Chieftain

Kongo, because of the music (it just doesn't work for me). Which is too bad because I remember really wanting them to be in the game and being excited to hear that they would be. I've played as them exactly once.

Pietato and Zaarin like this.
  13. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Australia - the music.

Buthera and Zaarin like this.
  14. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Khmer. They have a very niche play style that I don't enjoy. I don't find religion much fun and to top it off they have my least favourite musical score.

Jewelrunna likes this.
  15. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Korea. By a mile.

It is an incredibly boring, one-trick pony. If I get as a random pick, I know that game is as good as won. If any civilization is in a desperate need of a complete overhaul, it is Korea.

Thormodr likes this.
  16. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Sumeria--more accurately "The Epic of Gilgamesh civ"--first, then Korea.

17. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

I find Zulu and America to be the two most dull civs I've played. Zulu do one thing, and while they do it well they don't particularly do it in an interesting way. America doesn't get anything unique to play around with until way late in the game. Germany isn't too far behind those two in my eyes, either.

18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Korea is incredibly dull. So, I would rate them as my least favourite Civ. Just a plug and play straightforward yawn fest.

They are fun to play against, though. They do have great music. :)

In Civ VII, I do hope we will see a cultural Korea.

Zulu has been mentioned as dull. I really like playing them for some reason. Really awesome music, too. So upbeat and joyous. :)

19. huptiel

huptiel Chieftain

Khmer, the martyr mechanic is one of the least fun mechanics in the game to me. Just sending units off looking for an enemy apostle to kill them feels really dumb. Their other bonuses are very bland too.

20. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

This pretty much. While I dislike other one trick ponies like Korea the domination ones are worse because of the snowball effect of large empires. It's a different kind of "too big to fail"... I prefer to stick to self settled cities for that reason.

Zaarin likes this.