1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

What's your least favorite Civ and why?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Starwars, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

The Khmers are the civ that have two major victory paths: Culture and Religion. And the fact is, if you try to defend yourself from one, you help them get the other. That's a very nice mechanic I think.

Tech Osen likes this.
  2. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I think there was another thread on here asking about which civs people thought should be changed, where quite a few people named Khmer. Despite the fact that I don't enjoy Khmer's mechanic I didn't think it needed change, since it seems fun to a lot of people. It is also one of the fastest culture victory civs with its relic strategy so it's good for that playstyle to be supported.

I think it's good for there to be civs which appeal to specific playstyles given that there's enough civs to appeal to everyone. But I'd guess those will be the most polarizing civs at the same time. I think we're seeing that in this thread.

What I'd love to try and get data to look at is how correlated people's opinions on civs are? Does liking Georgia mean you'll probably like Hungary for example?

3. Patine

Patine Deity

As a Canadian, myself, I want to say the portrayal of this civ is ridiculously and badly stereotyped. I have lived in Canada all my life - 44 years - and I have never set foot in, or seen in person (as opposed to drawing, paintings, and other art, photos or video footage) actual land that qualifies as "tundra." The great majority of Canadians have not - within Canada, going "north of 60," is somewhat of an achievement. Only three municipalities of Canada that have been chartered for local government purposes as "cities," (out of over, like, 300-400 in the country) are in "tundra," terrain - Yellowknife, Inuvik, and Iqaluit - and they're very small and very dependent on external supply, as cities go. In other words, next to no one in Canada lives on "tundra," and the foundational areas of Upper and Lower Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and the capital, Ottawa (formerly Bytown) are no more "tundra," than the U.S. Rust Belt and New England - so logical "tundra start." Also, Canada's response to the Northwest Rebellion led by Louis Riel shows Canada WILL engage in wars (and even be nasty) without allies inviting them to.

tedhebert, Deadly Dog and Bosque like this.
  4. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

And few Russians live in Siberia. Tundra sucks, but Canada is the second largest country by landmass and it's because they claimed a ton of it. Yes, 90% of Canadians live within a hundred miles of the U.S. border. That's not something to design a civ around.

Caprikel likes this.
  5. criZp

criZp Emperor

I think what they did to Norway proves that unique playstyle and balance can go together just fine. Especially the later balance buffs to pillage yields has taken them from bad to decent, while their playstyle has stayed the exact same.

6. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

Khmer is just awesome in general, if you like different play styles. The civ buffs underused mechanics like aqueducts, relics, farms and early siege units in a meaningful way. Tall cities benefit from the culture bomb and additional amenities. Also incredibly strong at faith focused strategies like holy wars, buying settlers/districts/units/great people with faith etc.
    I'd say they are even slightly too good at winning early culture victories. The introduction of flood plains definitely nerfed them though. It's very annoying to lose all your awesome farms in a single turn.

7. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

I agree, but we are using balance in a different way. If you mean balance like no civ is significantly better than other to achieve victory. I don't think that is even posible, the moment you have different victory conditions and some conditions are more difficult than others, that balance goes off the window by design. And that is not a bad thing necessarily.

The balance objective should be to be able to have fun with different civs and different playstile, while keeping victory reasonably posible for all of them. In that sense I agree Norway is a well balanced civ. But if we compare it with other civs, and look how easy is to win with them compared to others then is not, and I think that is ok.

A deeper conversation can be had about multiplayer. But I also dont think it requires to be symmetrical either.

8. ADHansa

ADHansa Warlord

Maori. Can't stand the start at the ocean gimmick. Never play them, any time i see they are in the game is a immediate restart.

seancolorado likes this.
  9. criZp

criZp Emperor

Why?

Hawke9 likes this.
  10. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

As an AI opponent, I often see Maori get rolled. When they settle allover the place or in bad locations, they often don’t seem to be able to mount much opposition.

11. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

Maori is an example of a civ that the AI doesn't know how to handle, but that can be very cool if you play as them. This dichotomy is all over the place with the civilizations. Some terribly uninspired, but very capable in hands of the AI, some are the exact opposite. Is good we have both.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Hawke9 likes this.
  12. Dantesedge

Dantesedge Chieftain

I really enjoy the Maori... once I've settled my first city and have gotten through Kupe's leader ability. I hate it. I give that their start is the most unique in the game, but I don't enjoy sailing around looking for a good spot which is usually taken already.

The only civ (that I've played so far) that I just don't enjoy that much is India. Ghandi's leader ability just doesn't do much for me (the other leader's is better) and Dharma is a GREAT idea that doesn't seem to do much - at least it comes with amenities. In the end, it's the Stepwell that kills it for me... I just don't get how to place them without ruining triangle farms. I enjoy city planning in this game but I have never understood how to do India productively. That's clearly more my fault than India's but with that said I just don't enjoy playing them.

oSiyeza likes this.
  13. Patine

Patine Deity

See, imagine having an Aleut civ, with both oceanside and tundra starting bonuses... :p

14. FedorWin

FedorWin Chieftain

Any civ with a bonus that lasts for 10 turns after using certain casus belli. Specifically, even though I really like their inclusion in the game as well as their music, none of Georgia’s bonuses are appealing to me.

Also shoutout to America when Civ VI was first released (i.e. before they got a diplomatic card slot upgraded to wild, and before they got extra diplomatic favor). USA is a big market for videogames, and yet their bonuses in the game are so boring. At least Teddy’s got a big personality.

15. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Having made fun of them a lot at first, and then played with them a lot, I'm definitely in the Georgia Fan Club now. Since we're unlikely to ever get a Papal States/Holy See civ, Georgia instead reflects almost exactly what the design of such a civ would look like, and it's crazy fun.

16. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I like that America got a set of bonuses which feel relevant throughout the game and yet are still available early. They mignt not be the most asymmetric abilities every but for a stereotypically late blooming civ that's a nice achievement.

17. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

They're just so passive, though, and that's what makes America dull to play. Nothing they have is going to make you rethink how you build up your cities, where you settle, what troops you produce, how you deal with city states, etc... they're not the only civ that has that problem, but I think they're one of the worst about it. So bland.

Navelgazer likes this.
  18. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Only time I enjoyed playing America was with an Industrial Era start... And even then ;-)

19. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

Yeah, you're right and they're one of the civs I have only ever played once or twice as there's nothing that dramatically changes how you play.

But I think there's still a design lesson in there for other late blooming civs. Canada and Spain for example could do with having a few more bonuses front-loaded. America has a passive design but it's quite elegant and I find it difficult to dislike that.

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I just can't get into either version of India.