1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your main civ

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Arctichowler, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Arctichowler

Arctichowler Chieftain

What is your main civilization and why? What social policies and ideologies do you adopt? Do you invade other nations frequently, focus on trade, focus on expansion, have a small empire and keep to yourself?

2. Myth and Legend

Myth and Legend Prince

Can't decide between England and Babylon for main civ.

Tradition, Exploration, Aesthetics and Rationalism are my usual choices.

I frequently go Freedom lategame though, haven't won a deity lategame warmonger game (haven't really gotten to it i guess). I like all 3 ideologies.

My early game is mostly focused on 3/4 city tall play with food cargo ships. I've found little gain in early wars unless I have a godly start. Or I'm playing a pure warmonger civ.

I always go for a religion regardless of my ability to produce faith from a UA/UB.

3. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

For a tall game, I like Babylon, Aztecs, Incas, Ethiopia, Brazil

For a wide game: Arabia, Mayans, Celts, Polynesia

For a conquest: Mongolia, and then Arabia, Huns, England, China

I usually play a 4-city-TTP science game because that one is easy enough to bring consistent wins on Deity

4. Averylongname

Averylongname Chieftain

Main CIV: random
    The reason is every time I have something in mind that I want to do I ended up not able to. For example, I pick Brazil I'm gonna play a huge cultural game yay wood camps everywhere. And the game will be like sorry, you are Shaka's only neighbor you gonna build army all game long. Then I ended up in a domination victory. Therefore, I don't choose anymore, I'll play whatever the game give me.
    As for policy, 90% tradition 10% liberty and the filler policy I take between the first tree and rationalism usually is patronage or piety if I'm playing a religion game. As for ideology, domination autocracy, if happiness is not an issue i sometimes go freedom, if happiness is an issue or as in most cases order.
    Early game I focus on expansion, because I can always trade later, but once the land is taken by other the only way to expand later is by war, which is a lot harder.

5. twilson1972

twilson1972 Warlord

I have always had a bias towards england - probably because im english!

I have spent most my time over the years on scenarios and earth type maps, on civ 2 i spent hundreds of hours on marlas maps and the ww2 scenario for instance.

On civ 5 i tend to focus on naval tech asap...so philosophy asap (NC), then education/compass/navigation asap.

Policies i have been a bit boring, i like tradition-commerce-rationalism.

One thing i loved on civ 4 was the 'islands map' where everyone had an island seperated by ocean so contact was very late (after navigation) ..loved finding out what my opponents had been up to.

I dont think you can set that map up any more?

6. IkM

IkM King

Conquest; Huns, Mongols, Ottomans.
    Wide; Arabia, Ottomans, Shoshone.
    Tall; Korea, Japan.

7. RancheroGT

RancheroGT Chieftain

I have found that I do not like one particular Civ for more than a game or two. I like switching it up every time and playing as someone new. It's kinda weird, but I usually have the most success with Civ's that aren't particularly considered to be the stronger Civs in the game, so that makes it kinda interesting.

I like Tradition, but I get tempted into using Liberty from time to time. I'm terrible at playing Wide though, so I usually struggle in those games.

I usually don't pick a strategy until I am in the game and see what is going on. I used to go in with something in mind, only to find that it wouldn't be possible. I try to be as flexible as I can now.

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I don't really have a main civ, but I typically rotate between a selection of the following:

Sweden
    Spain
    Portugal
    Arabia
    Byzantine
    Egypt
    Ottoman
    Assyria
    Shanghai
    Shoshone

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Germans and England.

10. IkM

IkM King

You mean Songhai or calling China as Shanghai?

11. wayneb64

wayneb64 Prince

Random is the best. If the start looks decent and I have not played that civ lately then away I go.

12. Gen.Washington

Gen.Washington Anti-communist

merica, because freedom.

13. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

In between random plays I have been fixated on a couple of different Civs.

England to couple with Great Lighthouse and ship of the line for great naval domination. Plus longbows.

Polynesia and Terra maps before I realized that there was generally no strategic value in founding on the "undiscovered" territory.

Spain because it encourages/rewards exploration which should by now be a theme for the Civs I've selected.

India to see if I could figure out how to maximize the UA for tall wide play. Failed.

Korea for the "I need an easy win" tradition/turtle play.

14. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

For a fun game I play Indonesia on a Large Islands map. Their UA lends itself to a tall, four city empire and promoted Kris Swordsmen (As long s you don't get the bad promotion) are great game long. Once you get trade routes going their UB can produce a hefty amount of Faith.

Otherwise, I go Random. It helps me to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of each civ.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Songhai.

Autocorrect apparently doesn't know much about medieval West African history.

16. IkM

IkM King

Oh, ok. I asked because wondered which one you prefer because both are good civs.

17. teakbois

teakbois Prince

I prefer random as well

If its a Civ I've played recently I'll reroll, or if its a start that kind of ruins the civilization's flavor (Mongols on an island for instance...no thanks)

18. daft

daft The fargone

Songhai? really? I'd rather play as Iroquois.
    My favourite tribes are: Japan, Carthage, Byzantium, Greece, Rome, Poland, Russia, Denmark, Babylon, Aztecs, Maya, Inca, Polynesia....coming to think of it all the tribes are my faves, hmmm...
    Social Policy tree depends on the tribe I'm playing as and vary from game to game, same goes for war and peace with the AI.

19. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I'm yet to see that, they always always go Order whenever they happen to be on a map I'm playing :lol:

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It's 'Murica, my dated forefather friend, and I will help you put down all the other nations' WANTON AGGRESSION.

How? With wanton aggression obviously.

Have a dose of FREEDOM! *Our* freedom!

Basically, I like America because it has some troll value, and this is the first time in main line Civ series where 1) nations had unique stuff and 2) America's aren't trash.

Otherwise, Mongolia because it's a way better historical empire than that overrated purple nonsense in Italy with very fun UU, and of course no Civ game is truly complete without Shaka. Everybody loves Shaka.