What's your Scientific Program like?

Willhelm II

Chieftain
When you play Civ2, what techs do you aim for? Do you always follow the same tech plan, or do you have different tech plans depending on how you want to play?

Please, share your tech plans :king:

Change of government type is always the first priority. It is often Monarchy but sometimes early Republic is chosen. The next goal is almost always Trade. After that it depends on your goal, strategy, and map.

Monarchy and trade first, then it depends on what happens but usually in one of 5 directions: To build wonders (pottery, masonry), to explore and expand and know where to send caravans (horseback riding, map making), to get rid of a neighbour (polytheism), barb defense (alphabet, bronze working), make an aggresive neighbour (shaka) waste half the game suiciding units (masonry and warrior code).

Trade first and always, because with the Marco Polo Wonder it's possible to get all kinds of techs and money a lot faster. Map Making is crucial if the starting place is on a small island or smallish continent, and I will occasionally put that before Trade. After that, my plan depends to some extent on what I get from the goody huts and what the game situation is. But I always aim to get Railroad on the BC side of the timeline.

Yes. I have tried higher levels, and even survived to the end of the game a couple of times on Deity, but I'm not good enough to routinely play at the higher levels.

Regardless, I try to get Railroad as soon as possible, for the incredibly fast movement and ease of trade (and troops/spies). Not to mention Darwin's Voyage is a really nice Wonder, and should always be denied to one's enemies...

Yes. I have tried higher levels, and even survived to the end of the game a couple of times on Deity, but I'm not good enough to routinely play at the higher levels.
Judging by how long you have been around here, you ought to be able to handily beat the game at King if not higher. Getting railroad in BC is by itself another sign that you are playing at a level that is too easy for you.

If you feel your game needs improvement, come on over to the GOTM forum and participate. It is by far the most effective way to improve.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I haven't played Civ regularly for quite some time. And as my sig says, my preference is for Test of Time, which requires an entirely different sort of strategy. There are multiple maps in the same game - four in all, and depending on which species one plays, some techs and units are unavailable for research and building. They have to be traded, stolen, bribed, or acquired by other means inherent to ToT.

I knew you are a ToT fan and not having ever played that I do not know how different it is from regular Civ2. Our GOTMs are, of course, regular Civ2 games and as I said before there is no better way to learn how to play well.

No it doesn't. Scenarios and mods require different strategies.
I take it you never play the aliens, start on Alpha Centauri, or the Buteo? Some techs normally considered basic, like Trade, are simply not available to those races, or else it doesn't work because it's impossible to communicate with others until some higher tech is achieved.

For example, if you start on Alpha Centauri in the Extended game, the Great Library is critical. You can't go trade with anybody because there's nobody on that planet except you and Barbarians. But the Great Library Wonder functions as normal, so that's the critical one to go for first. The military ones aren't that important because there isn't anybody to fight.

My point is that those are my preferred Civ games (along with Lalande).

Is there a point to your rudeness?

Catfish, I am not up on the technicalities of the game, as in the difference between mods, scenarios, etc. To me, Test of Time is a Civilization II variant, and yes, the strategies one uses to navigate the tech trees IS different from those in the regular Civ II game. Example: In ToT Lalande, some of the techs considered "early" in regular Civ II are actually not available until late in the game - IF you play one of the alien civs. And since you cannot communicate with any of the human civs at that time, it does require different strategies to get those techs. You cannot research them yourself, so you need to figure out how to get them, or plan in advance for when they do become available.

I tried it out of curiosity, and went back to the human civs. It just requires such a total readjustment of what I consider normal strategy, I couldn't really plan properly.

And I hate some of their stupid units.

To me, Test of Time is a Civilization II variant, and yes, the strategies one uses to navigate the tech trees IS different from those in the regular Civ II game.
That you, personally, elect to play only mods (eg, Fantasy and Sci-Fi games) to the exclusion of the Original game (the regular Civ2 game, for those who don't own ToT), does not make the entire game of ToT a Civ2 variant. By the same logic, MGE (Multi-player Gold Edition) is a Civ2 variant because it shipped with scenarios. There are many people who don't realise that the core ToT game is pure Civ2 (MGE gameplay + bug fixes) and have overlooked it as a result.

Moderator Action: removed some text

Top Bottom