Whats your standard Barracks to Stables ratio?

LoneDragon

Warlord
Assuming your Civ doesn't have a UU that makes one much better than the other.

My typical ratio is 0:0. :p I rarely build Encampments unless I'm either being swarmed by barbarians or have a particularly aggressive neighbor (*shakes fist at Dom Satan*). Or occasionally if I need production but already have/don't have a good place for an Industrial Zone. If I do build an Encampment, I build Barracks because they're cheaper.

My typical ratio is 0:0. :p I rarely build Encampments unless I'm either being swarmed by barbarians or have a particularly aggressive neighbor (*shakes fist at Dom Satan*). Or occasionally if I need production but already have/don't have a good place for an Industrial Zone. If I do build an Encampment, I build Barracks because they're cheaper.
Yeah, I almost never build them myself. I built one this game because there's only one small area where an invading force can easily approach me from land and an Encampment is nice border defense...and also because building it got me envoys in 3 City-States.

Probably slightly more barracks than stables, regardless of unique units. Mounted units were the luxury of the elites after all so stables are less common :p

Probably slightly more barracks than stables, regardless of unique units. Mounted units were the luxury of the elites after all so stables are less common :p
Only for civilized folk; they were the mainstay of barbarians (something Civ6 gets painfully right). :p

I'll try to keep an even distribution of each, typically. If for some reason I'm slapping down extra Encampments, I'll tend to skew more towards barracks; both because they're slightly cheaper and also because I tend to build more ranged/melee units than cavalry.

I've had games where I get the first horse riding unit as the Cavalry and I just kinda shake my head at myself for having never learned to ride a horse before then.

I make barracks by accident even though I should be making stables because I forget that only stables apply to mounted units. :S

But yea, usually when I make an encampment, I rarely care about the buildings inside.

1:0 I usually only build one encampment in an effort to get Alhambra.

I did build a stables in my Tomyris game however.

I build a lot of encampments and mostly barracks as I don't build very many cavalry units. I like the defense, housing and production bonuses as well as the discounts you can get with the 50% policy. I am always a warmonger and tend to capture my culture and science buildings as I rarely get around to building them.

Cavalry make up about a quarter of my army. If i did not start recource blocked on iron or horses. If i had a perfect frontline to approach an enemy it would be like 4 melee units in front
and a cav unit on both flanks. (if i do not have horses i`ll put spears on the flanks). Behind the front lines ranged/siege units and ideally 2 to 4 units of reserves (melee or cav).
So i generally want to have 1 stable and 3/4 barracks. Starting with a stable and a barracks but building more barracks after that. That is the general plan off course. Based on not scouting the enemy, disregarding my empires size, UU preferences or resource limitations.
I like to build a "fast respond" cavaly force in the middle of my empire. But then i`m more relying on ranged units to defend cities, so the balance of cav/other unit types should never favor cavalry to much.

I`m tempted not to go overboard with cavalry as i often find this unit to be more hard countered by unit types then the general frontline infantry unit (swordsman, musketman, infantry etc)

I love to get early generals so I build barracks very early for that purpose. I may build a stable but rarely barracks. I do early horse rushes if I can find a horse or two

The quickest way through the eurekas and to Terracotta and Alhambra is barracks. Even if I build more encampments I usually forget to check what military structure a certain city has.

99:1 stables/barracks. If I am building a ranged or melee unit, it's going to be for a short term offensive purpose, or garrison duty vs. barbs. They will neither have the need or the opportunity to promote quickly as they will probably not see a whole lot of combat.

I usually only build encampment buildings if I'm playing a civ that has a unique, or as an after-thought/ just because. When that happens it's almost always a stable. Encampments are mostly useful for getting a GG in my games.

I usually build only 1 encampment per game and dedicate that city to building military units throughout the game. Whether I build a stables or barracks depends on the UU my civ has. If it is a cavalry unit then stables, otherwise barracks. If I happen to capture a city with an encampment but no t1 building, I can't be bothered to remember which city has which building so I generally build the same one as I did in my original city.

Top Bottom