When American conservatives point out how Muslims view women and homosexuals . . .

Well known? Why does it have to be someone well known? Just read the comments on any news site. You know, where the "I'm a homeowning taxpayer and you are a drain on society" runs absolutely rampant.

That seems to be a class issue, I'm not sure how that has anything to do with your original comment:

Conservatives actually tell themselves that we DO live in a color blind society and their advantaged position is therefor an indicator of their clear superiority. Then they wonder why people disagree with them, since their superiority is so readily apparent.

That seems to be a class issue, I'm not sure how that has anything to do with your original comment:

Perhaps. But since those commenters are usually also spouting how the "libruls" are ruining America they at least self identify as conservatives.

I think what we have here is a difference of viewpoint in that you are looking for what the spokesmen of conservatism have to say while I am looking at the rank and file. Generally speaking those spokesmen want the support from the rank and file but would rather they kept to themselves rather than disgracing the movement by demonstrating the underlying truths.

It may very well be that the vast majority of people saying these things are conservatives and it may also be, although it is less likely, that a majority of conservatives thinks like that.

I just don't see how this is an issue of color-blindness, I don't see them claiming that "White people are in power because they are superior!" or things like that.

I would cautiously guess that a person's conservatism develops when the person has something to conserve in the first place. And that somehow kind of puts the person into some class.

I don't insist on anything, but how wrong you think I can possibly be with a guess like that?

As usual nobody knows the conservative ideology, sorry can't express it with a Bumper sticker slogan:

Just keep in mind that if you believe what this list says, you'll be just as misinformed about liberal beliefs as you're complaining they misunderstand conservative beliefs.

It may very well be that the vast majority of people saying these things are conservatives and it may also be, although it is less likely, that a majority of conservatives thinks like that.

I just don't see how this is an issue of color-blindness, I don't see them claiming that "White people are in power because they are superior!" or things like that.

You aren't looking. Operate down among the rank and file for a while. You find that the same people who are totally arrogant about having achieved the monumental accomplishment of buying a house are also the ones ranting about the libruls and are also the ones who have figured out that strategically placing a space between the n and the i allows them to slide a word past the auto censor that they would never dream of using if they weren't protected by the anonymity of the internet...except in company with their fellow conservatives, and even then they are under a sheet.

No, I was told by a priest that the universe was created 6000 years ago, along with all the evidence that it is older than it actually is placed there deliberately to test out faith.
If your reference to a Priest means Catholic, then the priest was very poorly educated in catholic theology.

If your reference to a Priest means Catholic, then the priest was very poorly educated in catholic theology.

No that one definitely was not Catholic. It was either an Orthodox or some Evangelist, it was about 20 years ago and I honestly don't remember the source of that particular nonsense. Anyway, maybe the "priest" was a wrong word to use in either case but for not knowing a better one I decided to just put it with lowercase "p" as a generic name. Was that a wrong move?

So you've been exposed to heresy then, Daw. Report it to the nearest Inquisitor and it'll be dealt with expediently.

I think that most conservatives are terribly conflicted. They hate Muslims for being different and potential terrorists, but know that to feel that way is not very Christian, So they want them to become democrats. That way they can be hated for better reasons.
Not sure I'd go w/ "most", but for many (plurality, maybe even?) I think it's more they're in denial and like to use "Christianity" to over their bigotry. You can give yourself license to be a jerk if you dress it up in a velvet glove... or at least try to.

As usual nobody knows the conservative ideology...
Including "conservatives", but thanks for the list, that was a funny read.

Is this how Republicans rank these from best to worst?

Jesus > Angels > Men > Women > Homosexuals > Muslims > Obama

There's a redundancy at the end there.

No that one definitely was not Catholic. It was either an Orthodox or some Evangelist, it was about 20 years ago and I honestly don't remember the source of that particular nonsense. Anyway, maybe the "priest" was a wrong word to use in either case but for not knowing a better one I decided to just put it with lowercase "p" as a generic name. Was that a wrong move?
No, there are and have been priests since long before Jesus, it's just in the states priests are normally though of as Catholic. (I think;) )

There's a redundancy at the end there.

You mean Obama is Muslim?

Given he's raised by his maternal grandparents, who were Christians. The chance that he converted to his father's faith is low, not mentioning his father had alcoholism problem, which makes his Islamic faith even less credible.

You mean Obama is Muslim?

Given he's raised by his maternal grandparents, who were Christians. The chance that he converted to his father's faith is low, not mentioning his father had alcoholism problem, which makes his Islamic faith even less credible.

He was being silly. An incredible number of people believe Obama is secretly a Muslim

This is kind of Hard since they don't believe in such things.

You can bet that there are secular conservatives. Not nearly as many as the religious kind, in the U.S. at least, but they exist. There are also many conservatives who don't take the Bible literally, are socially conservative, but believe in accepted scientific concepts like gravity, evolution, etc. Again, not many, definitely more than secular conservatives, but not many. But they exist.

To take a stab at the OP, they're actually trying to unite the left and right with a "common enemy".

From their viewpoint, liberals should be against Muslims because their society/culture/religion is extremely illiberal and thus at odds with liberalism in general. Meanwhile conservatives dislike them for other reasons, usually a simple intolerance of other religion.

To take a stab at the OP, they're actually trying to unite the left and right with a "common enemy".

From their viewpoint, liberals should be against Muslims because their society/culture/religion is extremely illiberal and thus at odds with liberalism in general. Meanwhile conservatives dislike them for other reasons, usually a simple intolerance of other religion.

Unless an Islamic horde is at the gate, the united front against Muslims seems nonsensical as there're bigger fishes to fry.

Top Bottom