1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When American conservatives point out how Muslims view women and homosexuals . . .

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JollyRoger, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

That seems to be a class issue, I'm not sure how that has anything to do with your original comment:

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Perhaps. But since those commenters are usually also spouting how the "libruls" are ruining America they at least self identify as conservatives.

I think what we have here is a difference of viewpoint in that you are looking for what the spokesmen of conservatism have to say while I am looking at the rank and file. Generally speaking those spokesmen want the support from the rank and file but would rather they kept to themselves rather than disgracing the movement by demonstrating the underlying truths.

3. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

It may very well be that the vast majority of people saying these things are conservatives and it may also be, although it is less likely, that a majority of conservatives thinks like that.

I just don't see how this is an issue of color-blindness, I don't see them claiming that "White people are in power because they are superior!" or things like that.

4. Daw

Daw Emperor

I would cautiously guess that a person's conservatism develops when the person has something to conserve in the first place. And that somehow kind of puts the person into some class.

I don't insist on anything, but how wrong you think I can possibly be with a guess like that?

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Just keep in mind that if you believe what this list says, you'll be just as misinformed about liberal beliefs as you're complaining they misunderstand conservative beliefs.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

You aren't looking. Operate down among the rank and file for a while. You find that the same people who are totally arrogant about having achieved the monumental accomplishment of buying a house are also the ones ranting about the libruls and are also the ones who have figured out that strategically placing a space between the n and the i allows them to slide a word past the auto censor that they would never dream of using if they weren't protected by the anonymity of the internet...except in company with their fellow conservatives, and even then they are under a sheet.

7. abradley

abradley Deity

If your reference to a Priest means Catholic, then the priest was very poorly educated in catholic theology.

8. Daw

Daw Emperor

No that one definitely was not Catholic. It was either an Orthodox or some Evangelist, it was about 20 years ago and I honestly don't remember the source of that particular nonsense. Anyway, maybe the "priest" was a wrong word to use in either case but for not knowing a better one I decided to just put it with lowercase "p" as a generic name. Was that a wrong move?

9. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

So you've been exposed to heresy then, Daw. Report it to the nearest Inquisitor and it'll be dealt with expediently.

10. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Not sure I'd go w/ "most", but for many (plurality, maybe even?) I think it's more they're in denial and like to use "Christianity" to over their bigotry. You can give yourself license to be a jerk if you dress it up in a velvet glove... or at least try to.

Including "conservatives", but thanks for the list, that was a funny read.

11. Daw

Daw Emperor

So it seems, but I'm afraid that the limitation period is long over for that...

12. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Seems like St. Peter will deal with him, instead.

13. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

There's a redundancy at the end there.

14. abradley

abradley Deity

No, there are and have been priests since long before Jesus, it's just in the states priests are normally though of as Catholic. (I think;) )

15. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

You mean Obama is Muslim?

Given he's raised by his maternal grandparents, who were Christians. The chance that he converted to his father's faith is low, not mentioning his father had alcoholism problem, which makes his Islamic faith even less credible.

16. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

This is kind of Hard since they don't believe in such things.

17. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

He was being silly. An incredible number of people believe Obama is secretly a Muslim

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

You can bet that there are secular conservatives. Not nearly as many as the religious kind, in the U.S. at least, but they exist. There are also many conservatives who don't take the Bible literally, are socially conservative, but believe in accepted scientific concepts like gravity, evolution, etc. Again, not many, definitely more than secular conservatives, but not many. But they exist.

19. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

To take a stab at the OP, they're actually trying to unite the left and right with a "common enemy".

From their viewpoint, liberals should be against Muslims because their society/culture/religion is extremely illiberal and thus at odds with liberalism in general. Meanwhile conservatives dislike them for other reasons, usually a simple intolerance of other religion.

20. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Unless an Islamic horde is at the gate, the united front against Muslims seems nonsensical as there're bigger fishes to fry.