When are markets worth It?

byang08

Chieftain
Is there a general guideline? They are very expensive and for cities that need them, which will mostly be cottage cities, you'd be whipping off of mature cottages. Sometimes they coincide with running caste during your first GA. What about for banks and grocers? Grocers are often needed just for the health bonuses and banks for Wall Street, but besides that are they worth getting except for in your very best commerce cities?

Good shrine cities and maybe the Bureau cap under the right circumstances. Quite often i don't build a single one.

If I have two cities side by side close enough to share several cottages, I sometimes build a market in one so I can switch which city is working the cottages depending on where my science slider is (0% or 100%). The other city gets a library and is working cottages most of the time. The market city becomes a production city when it's not running cottages.

I have no idea if that's a great idea or not, but it's something I do. An example is when a religion gets founded in a city I planned on making a production city, and that city also happens to be right next to my planned bureau capital.

The Cap and a few Major cities. If I have all the Happy resources associated with the market, a few extra larger cities may get one.

It tends to come up in the capital at some point. Not due to extra :gold: but extra :) Sometimes in the NE city too, so it can work merchants without caste.

Good shrine cities and maybe the Bureau cap under the right circumstances. Quite often i don't build a single one.

This.

And definitely not for happiness. That's some crazy wasted hammers. 15:hammers: warriors (if you have hunting then pillage a resource) in HR or trade for happiness resources is the way to go. Besides, at this point in the game you'll likely be needing other important buildings like a forge or CH when needed.

In regards to Banks and Grocers......On Immortal and below I'll rarely have any. Bureau Capital? Sure, it could work. But besides that I'll be whipping units as much as possible. In the majority of the games there's simply not a need to invest :hammers: into those buildings. It's usually a waste.

If playing in Isolation or you're playing as a FIN leader and have quite literally thrown down a cottage in every spot possible then sure......Markets and Banks are fine. However, I'd caution that it's best to work the cottages and save those buildings until after you have CS and irrigation. This lets you then use the extra gain in food to whip w/out hurting your cottages. And there's no harm in waiting til US in some cases and use rush buy instead (circumstance dependent).

And definitely not for happiness. That's some crazy wasted hammers. 15:hammers: warriors (if you have hunting then pillage a resource) in HR or trade for happiness resources is the way to go. Besides, at this point in the game you'll likely be needing other important buildings like a forge or CH when needed.
Sometimes when going to war after lib I find myself in the situation where war weariness shoots through the roof and several other civs reach democracy for emancipation which adds up to a ton of anger in all cities. At this point, if I want to keep some city large I might build a market for happiness if I have at least 3 of the resources. 150 hammers for 3 happy faces is better than building temples or any other happiness buildings (except forge, which I likely have already).

Don't agree at all.

Permanent happiness is worth a lot more than 15:hammers: (if you even can build warriors at that point) and HR also give you unit upkeep and denies you better civics.

How much happy/health you get from markets/grocers greatly affect their value and should not be discarded. If you can get all four resources, they are worth building in almost every city that needs the happiness.

Pretty much every time I built a market in a typical domination/conquest type of game it turned out to be bad play. It's better to get both gold and happiness from conquering more land!

As already pointed out, markets have their uses in cities with a shrine or in games where you aim for a space colony victory (or for some other reason want to play a game that lasts to +1900AD).

If i have 4 unhappy citizens in a city I'm going to whip units and then maybe run culture slider some if really necessary. I'm certainly not building markets in all of my cities even with several of the associated resources.

Units have an upkeep cost too, and what if you aren't running Monarchy?

I meant military units for actual fighting, because the only way i have that much unhappiness is war weariness.

My opinion is that you frequently only need 1 really big city and that's the bureau cap. It's usually not very difficult to stuff it full of warriors or whatever to keep it happy. Other cities can usually get up to adequate size via luxuries either of your own or obtained via resource trades or other things such as religion, theater, etc. If those cities grow into unhappiness or become unhappy due to heavy war weariness I'm much more inclined to just whip them down than to waste 150 hammers on a market.

Don't think there is much wrong with building a market or two in select cities for happiness or extra :gold: when not running the :research: slider. Like I said, a market in the capital (which is typically cottaged), the shrine city, or the NE city. Not much wrong with that. I'm losing access to warriors fairly early on, and when I'm building units I want to use them for cracking skulls, not for sitting in cities costing me money.

Obviously it's not a building you should build everywhere, at least I don't think so, but it has its place in a few cities given the right circumstances.

The same with Grocers and even Aqueducts. Health can be a bigger issue than happiness, so it's not uncommon to build an aqueduct in the capital - particularly if you're not able to trade for enough happiness and it's a little food poor so you can't afford to have much negative health.

Pretty much what Pangaea said. To clarify, I said nothing about "all of my cities" in my previous post. I said "if I want to keep some city large", which pretty much means bureau cap and NE city.

My opinion is that you frequently only need 1 really big city and that's the bureau cap. It's usually not very difficult to stuff it full of warriors or whatever to keep it happy. Other cities can usually get up to adequate size via luxuries either of your own or obtained via resource trades or other things such as religion, theater, etc. If those cities grow into unhappiness or become unhappy due to heavy war weariness I'm much more inclined to just whip them down than to waste 150 hammers on a market.

Making a theater for happiness, but refusing to build a full market makes no sense at all.

Theater is 1 happy for 50 hammers, unless you're actually using the slider or creative.

Slider for when things get difficult with very high war weariness. Also need 6 if you have any intentions of building Globe.

Making a theater for happiness, but refusing to build a full market makes no sense at all.

Theater is 1 happy for 50 hammers, unless you're actually using the slider or creative.

I completely disagree with this comment. If you actually have Dyes so Theater gives +1:) in cities then Theater is already as efficient as a Market except in the case that you actually have all 4 market resources, in which case you are probably doing something seriously wrong if more than one or two of your cities ever get unhappy. Also the main reasons to build theaters are for cheap +3 culture in border cities and to unlock Globe Theater for drafting, and Markets do neither of these things.

Permanent happiness is worth a lot more than 15 (if you even can build warriors at that point) and HR also give you unit upkeep and denies you better civics.

How much happy/health you get from markets/grocers greatly affect their value and should not be discarded. If you can get all four resources, they are worth building in almost every city that needs the happiness.

Long post.
Spoiler :
Huge disagreement. You and I have drastically different play styles. 150:hammers: translates to 3 HAs, 3 Catapults, 4 Sword, 2.5 Elephants, or 2 Trebs. If someone wasted the time putting 3 or 4 markets (or more!!??!!) in their cities that could easily add up to 450 - 600 + :hammers:.

That translates into 10 Elephants, or 16 Sword, or 12 Catapults, etc, etc. And that translates into 3,4, 5??, etc, etc more captured cities at an early date which snowballs into a much larger and stronger empire.

Don't you realize that by the time you actually built the Market and then grew to your new happy cap the person that whipped/chopped all those units would already have conquered all those new cities..........but more than just that, they would already be whipping/chopping more units from those captured cities.

By the time you were actually ready to start making units from your new market/bigger happy cities I could already have 6 or 7 new captured cities. And once you get those Markets how do you plan on getting units? If it's slow building them that will take ages and ages by which point I could have 10+ cities by the time you have your 1st big way of units.

And if you aren't going to slow build your units and plan to Whip?, then what was the point of building a Market in the 1st place?

Even w/out CRE, if you have a forge a Theater is basically a 1 pop whip or chop. That's really quick. And in most cases you don't even need to add a Theater until you've already done quite a bit of whipping. This works great because it doesn't slow down your initial build up of troops. And as already mentioned before, Theaters and the culture slider will allow you to deal with happiness whichever route you go (more whipping or stabilizing). Oh, and as mentioned above GT!

So there's cheap warriors, luxury resources, trade, forge, theaters, and Civics (+1 units/+2 Barracks). So in most cases, why in the world would it make any sense to get that Market?

You aren't capturing many cities with 12 HAs. Even if it's just a single spear and a couple of archers in a hill city you'll probably lose 50%. What's better, worthless city engulfed in foreign culture or +4 happiness in your best cities?

And a bit later on, a market is only 1.5 cuirassier, cheaper under organized religion.

Top Bottom