When did the cell phone hysteria come to your town?

When did the cell phone hysteria come to your town?

• Total voters

Adebisi

Emperor
Reading the "what decade..." thread I became a bit nostalgic. So the question is, when did the cell phone hysteria arrive to your town/class/community/circle of friends? By hysteria I mean the year when most of you suddenly had to get one, altough you couldn't have imagined that the year before.

Last edited:
2000 I guess, when all of my family member have one.

My mother have to phone me on my mobile phone to ask me to join the family for dinner when I am in my room in 3rd floor(that's how I am addicted to games back then, I forgot to eat :lol:)

We had pagers for a while, so to upgrade to cell phones wasn't a big deal. My first year of college was '95-96, so I put '96 in the poll. That was when the majority bought cells, though some people had them around '93. The 'craze' part of it probably came more about '98 - when EVERYONE seemed to have one...

I think more than half of the people had mobiles in around 1998. Ahh, memories of the brick phones and cool features like a phonebook, and something called texting :confused: :confused:

Around 1999 for me. Although I do remember my rich aunt used to have one of those brick cellphones earlier than that. A few of my high school chums got them and now even I have one, which I didn't think would ever happen but due to the fact that I don't have a work phone and WebMD's offices in Portland have limited phonelines, I need a cellphone just to keep in contact.

I don't know. My parents got theirs around 1999.

hmm, both my dad and stephdad had such devices in the mid 90s. I think Holland hit the 50% barrier in 1998. I got my first in 1999, being fashionably late.

When me and some frat-friends went sailing in 4 small boats in 1996, we needed to communicate. None of us even thought about cell phones.... We purchased four used car batteries and four ........ 27MC transmitting devices :cool: !
I still have my 'bakkie' .

I had mine in 1998, right after it became widely spread. My mom had the first one in 1997 as a birthday gift, because she was out of town so much :)

Washington DC prob invented the stupid things. I only got mine this year though

Perfection said:
I never got one nor do I plan on getting one.
:woohoo:, another member of the non-addicted club! I am always being asked to put my mobile number on official forms and the like, and there is no "I do not have a mobile" option. It pisses me off. I dont remember when the craze started in backwards Pembrokeshire, but I do remember getting very pissed :mad: at people who you wanted to talk to them and all they wanted to do was fiddle with their phone hoping someone would ring them, ignoring the people nearest to them. I once saw somebody sitting in the row behind somebody else phone them because that was the only way to get their attention! :eek: :crazyeye: :lol: :sad: Why become so dependent on something that you can't even talk to a friend because you have to check your inbox?
Sorry for [offtopic] rant ...

I didn't get one until 2003, and even then it was a brick-like one that I only had in case my girlfriend and I got seperated while visiting London.

My mum gave me her old one last year, which can fit into my pocket. I rarely use it unless I'm at work and bored silly.

As for when the hysteria came to town...I think around '99, though I really can't be sure.

Most people I know started getting them around 1999.

Perfection said:
I never got one nor do I plan on getting one.
Having one makes things so much easier. I find it annoying when I can't get in touch with someone because they don't have a cell phone.

Adebisi said:
Reading the "what decade..." thread I became a bit nostalgic and began thinking of what happened in my school years. I remembered that in 1996, when I was 13 years old, one kid in my class brought a mobile phone to class and claimed it was his own. We all thought it was sooo cool and could barely believe it. In 1997 however, 2/3 of us had mobile phones. In 1998 almost everyone had one.

So the question is, when did the cell phone hysteria arrive to your town/class/community/circle of friends? By hysteria I mean the year when most of you suddenly had to get one, altough you couldn't have imagined that the year before.

When I started seeing teenage girls and near-vagrants carrying a cell phone around 1999, I figured the craze was on. However, I didn't get a cell phone of my own until 2001, and only because it was right after Sept 11th 2001. Until then, my excuse was that I didn't want people bothering me.

volta said:
I find it annoying when I can't get in touch with someone because they don't have a cell phone.
I don't, they usually have an answering machine, and email.

It seems like everybody these days has one of those accursed devices. I don't have a cell phone but my GF is begging me to get one. I think it’s her way of keeping track of me!

I started feeling it around 1997/1998, but it is possible that it had been a while before, I just didn't pay much atention. I resisted on getting my first though, and only aquired one in 2000. It was a Nokia 3210, the best mobile evah! :yeah: It resisted bravely, until about a year ago, when it became too obvious that it finally needed eternal rest. A couple of weeks ago, I switched its substitute (also a Nokia) for a... let me check it... Motorola V980 with my dad, thus enetering in the brave new world of 3G. :yeah:

1998 is about time. To the end of school year evrebody in my class had one.

Riesstiu IV said:
It seems like everybody these days has one of those accursed devices. I don't have a cell phone but my GF is begging me to get one. I think it’s her way of keeping track of me!

You can be damn sure of that. ;)

Top Bottom