When did you start calling shields hammers?

When did you call production hammers

• What, they're hammers, What are you talking about?

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • When cIV came out, I upgraded my vocab

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • I guess it was after one of the expansions came out

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Never, They are shields dangnabit!

Votes: 18 12.6%

• Total voters

phungus420

Deity
I just realized in a post I called them hammers. Think I've been doing so for a year now, just never noticed. I remember back when cIV first came out, I was all, no way, I'll always call them shields, but I guess even the most obstinant of us succumb to the invetible. So when did it happen to you?

I started as soon as I got it, but I still use both sometimes. Plus hammers makes more sense :)

I can't say that, my last civ II game was in february some time :) In fact more recent than an actual game of Civ IV.

What are these shields you speak of? ;)

I started with Civ 4, they've always been hammers to me.

It made sense when they renamed the abstraction in Civ4. After all, building a library out of shields is silly. Just imagine trying to stack shields into walls and a roof of a building. It definitely makes much more sense with hammers. ;)

Anyway... It really didn't take long to adjust the vocabulary.

I have always, and still do, use shields. I have played civ III for years, since about 2003, yet I started civ Iv only in about 2007, when I bought a computer that met the system requirements for civ IV

I've played III and IV, but I use hammers. It just makes more sense to call a picture of a hammer a hammer, not a shield. ;)

Yeah, I'll call 'em what they appear as, depending on the Civ version. The game can be intimidating enough for newcomers with all the Civ jargon as it is; they don't need for me to confuse the issue further.

When? It was instantaneous for me. I'm sentimental about the shields but, you know, that's civ.

Right away. I was never a true hardcore civ3 player, not in the same way as with civ4 anyway, so by the time I bought civ4 I hadn't played civ3 for around 2 years or more.

I still own my copy of civ I on supernintendo with the sheilds (my sister still plays the game btw...), and this summer have played civ 2 a bit, but in the last few years I was playing more of Alpha Centauri than civ. Started playing BtS last week and I already call htem hammers.

I think the shield made sense in Civ1 because it was easy to identify in such a small number of pixels. Plus they looked ok when they were stacked (overlapping) beside each other.

Attachments

• shield.bmp
    822 bytes · Views: 755
  • stacked_shields.bmp
    4.2 KB · Views: 679
The little symbol for production used to be shields (IN the game). Now, they're :hammers:, so they should be called as such

It was pretty instant. Though shields looked okay in Civ III, hammers are just easier to remeber. I do still see CIV people calling them shields though. More than the poll would hint.

Shields doesn't really make sense in the first place to me. I remember them, but when CIV started using :hammers:, it made a lot more sense to me. Shields to symbolize building units, maybe? But hammers to symbolize building stuff in general... just makes more sense.

The first option in this poll could have easily been "I started playing Civ with Civ4." :D

Top Bottom