1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When did you start playing CIV?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Frostyboy, Dec 10, 2003.

?

When did you start playing the CIV games?

1. Civ 1

81 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. Civ 2

36 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. Alpha Centauri

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Civ 3

26 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

I just wonder when people started playing CIV for the first time, and how they in the first place got to know the game.

2. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

Is alpha c. consider a civ game or should it be consider sid meier's game

3. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

All the way from 1!

4. DS_Legionary

DS_Legionary King

I first saw my uncle playing Civ2 on his Playstation, so I tried it out, and after about an hour I was hooked. I went home got on the internet and ordered it. About a year later I told a couple of friends about it, and one of them said "well, I have Civ3." So I went to his house tried that out, then went and bought my own copy. That's basically how I cam acroos the civ series. Then I found you guys :)

5. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Got sucked in by the CivII stage; '96 I think.

Saw an ad for the game, and figured I had money to blow. Best impulse purchase of my life, I tell you! Nowadays, I'd never by a game I've not tested first or at least read a few encouraging reviews of.

6. Krondys

Krondys Chieftain

I actually don't recall when I first played a Civ game... I was a huge fan of "Pirates!" and Colonization (early 90s?)... I just bought Civ3 this weekend, and I can tell that I already have less of a social life than I used to. I'll probably stay away from the family over Christmas so I can play :undecide:

Kron

7. NeonInfusion

NeonInfusion I live for Conquests.

I remember my first Civilization game. My friend told me about it, so I borrowed it for a while. I tried it, and I got hooked (like many others). In one day, I figured out more about the game than my friend did, and he had been playing for about a year.

(I remember I lost my first Civ game.)

8. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Civ III back in April. Someone I knew convinced me to get it.

9. Alexnm

Alexnm King

to me it would be civ2. had a longtime friend who once said to me 'hey, i've got a new game that i'm sure you're going to love'. then one afternoon i went to his home and he played a few turns of civ2. i started drooling. :) then i asked him to borrow me the game CD and he said 'are you nuts?' :lol: i went home, dreamt about the game that night (i did, really!) and bought me a copy next morning. this was in '97, i think.

10. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Saw a friend playing a very curious game my first year of college ('90). "Hey, what are all those Elvis looking dudes?" (Civ I) That was it! All over. Civ junkie ever since. I even made my wife a Civ junkie! :D

--CK

11. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

Saw Civ3 in the store one day and put it on my wish list. :D

12. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

I came across Civ1 10 years ago, when I saw they had installed it at a university and everyone were playing civ instead of studying.
    I got hooked straight away playing the Aztecs as my first civ.
    Didn't learn all the rules before later - but the concept was new for me - and yes I loved the graphics as well (was'nt that bad for that time)

Civ2, I had to wait with for al long time since I was studying and knew that if I started playing it, I could say a long goodbye to my study progression. So later I got into Civ2 as well - which I found great - especially the music and the wonder-videos.

AC Was perhaps the greates game, but as the same reason as above I had to postpone the playing. The new way of customizing everything and creating your own units were Great.
    And the 3D map - so cool.

Civ3 is Great! I couldn't understand the corruption in the beginning - which was so different from previous games. But now I actually find it more balancing than before.
    I miss the videos and some better music repertoir.

13. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

While I've been an avid gamer for over 25 years now (started on the Atari 2600), I didn't try the Civ series until last December (this is my one year anniversary). A good friend of mine (Shawn) was totally addicted to Civ 2 and purchased Civ 3 as soon as it came out. At the time I was into the RTS genre and didn't think I would like the slow pace of the turn based games.

After a few beers at Shawn's place I asked him about this game he was always playing. He fired up Civ 3 and proceeded to wage war on his closest rival. After watching him play and asking questions about the game I became hooked by the gameplay and suffered through turn based dreams that night. I bought the game the next day and have been addicted ever since.

BTW - I just put a beating of epic proportions on Shawn in hotseat mode the other day. Now he is the one asking the questions about the game.

14. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Played first CiV back in...1993 I think. I don't even recall how I came unto it. My first games were pathetic because I didn't know the rules and remained in despotism all the way to avoid civil disorded :lol:
    Then I got a summer job some years later and had to live at some of my parent's friends. The deal was, I kept the house while they were on holidays. They had a brand new computer, with a brand new game. Civ2. Oh boy. I think this was the summer where I didn't see the sun :lol:
    With civ2 I realmly began to master the rules and thus enjoyed the game (though it took me 3-4 years to realize walls didn't cost anything in maintenance :lol:
    And now 2 years ago I pre-ordered civ3. Never played SMAC...

15. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Since Civ1! My brother borrowed it from one of his friends at school and I just looked over his shoulder when the intro started. So, I just grabbed a chair and after the first game he played, with me nagging him about everything, I was hooked....

16. Park Ranger

Park Ranger Wonder hog

Got hooked on CIV in the eraly nineties even though it was hard to tell the tribes apart on my 386's monochrome monitor. (Played without a sound card, too!)

Back in the early 80's me and my high school buddies played Avalon Hill's CIVILIZATION for entire weekends at a time. In fact, a few years ago we played it again with the expansion.

Although AH's boardgame is substantially different, I think having had so much fun with it made me predisposed to addiction to SM's CIV.

17. Alone

Alone Emperor

From Civ III. In December 22nd last year:) ! I both a computer in October 2002, learned about it and play some games as Stronghold, in a conversation with my cousin Bane I told him that I would like to play some game simular like that one but from ancent to modern time with more Geography encluded. Latter on at mentioned day he broth me a CD as a Birthday present. So it will be a year of anniversary for me soon, same as for Brewster. And soon I will got a C3C as well.

Latter in May, I think, I tried Civ II, but didn't liked (specialy graphic) so I quit after few attempt.

18. hawai_74

hawai_74 mac über alles

I used to play civ I about ten years ago on a PC :vomit:, and then nothing after these years until this summer 2002 with civ III on MAC :love:

19. zurichuk

zurichuk King

played civ 1 on an Amiga way back at university, can still remember the 'first all-nighter just one more turn' game that i played, many years on, still probably play one all-nighter 20 hour mega-session per month to finish a game. and then have a few days break. The new conquests however are a god-send, shorter games :)

20. Hayek

Hayek Old Whig

I played Civ I first. That was still quite late, though. In '96 or '97, IIRC.