When do barbarian units enter cultural borders

I have never seen a barb paratrooper. Has anyone else? Maybe we should give them an event that gifts them flight so that they can actually build them.

I've never seen a barb fighter either, for that matter.

They don't spawn in the fog after renaissance IIRC (forget the exact era but think that's it), so barbs after then can only come from cities.

Considering barb techs lag behind considerably, and how late facism/flight are both known to a material # of civs, it's not surprising that the barb cities don't get a chance to produce paratroopers before they're all taken. Anything after rifles is quite rare for standard games...

Of course it makes the game easier, but it just isn't right. When TMIT mentioned barb-galley busting to me last week, I felt like I was slimed with godlike information not meant for the ears of mere mortals.

The code just speeds up learning. It's definitely something that could be learned through trial and error, so it's hard to pin a theoretical argument against this issue...or really any. Essentially, the rate and conditions for barb spawns (among anything) are part of the rules of the game! A good game can stand on its own legs even if all the rules are known...in fact usually all the rules being known is an expectation of a game. You could argue that fireaxis caused us unnecessary pain and annoyance by not revealing the basic barb spawning rules or likelihood of some AIs to declare after demands are refused, and just as easily as either are information "we shouldn't have".

Yeah, I know, but I feel like all the mystery is leaving my mistress. I've seen her naked too many times and now I'm wondering what else is there to discover. Might need to give her some surgery or sumpin to make her look a little different.

Since when was it OK to perceive rules that are fundamental and exist for all players as a mystery, anyway?

It's not much different from making up rules as one goes while playing a game...but that isn't exactly considered standard for good gaming.

What is the rule re cultural borders - do they spawn bust 2 tiles out too?

No, it has to be some unit to spawn bust 2 tiles.

How close can barbs spawn to a city's cultural borders if there are no units anywhere nearby?

Edit: Never mind. I tested it. They can spawn in the closest fog.

Top Bottom