When do you build Shrines?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Azhur, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Becephalus

Becephalus King

scout/scout/warrior/monument or shrine/purchase worker.

But I play on big maps with lots of enemies, so going for religion only makes sense if you have some bonus (stele or whatever).

2. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

Religion isn't important unless you plan to get a vicotry other than conquest. Using faith to buy great people is hard to pass up on in the late game. Also, get stonehange, it's nice, most AI civs tend to go for Temple of Artemis and Statue of Zeus early rather than henge.

3. Saxony

Saxony Chieftain

I build them as soon as I can

4. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

I've noticed that when I played the Mayans (twice) and Byzantines, one of the religious natural wonders was readily available. Playing G&K on emperor (down from immortal with the occasional deity foray on vanilla) I've always been first or second to religion with one of the religion-focused civs, and I still do well with non-religious civs as well as long as I prioritize Stonehenge. Shrines mean little to nothing unless I'm going for piety or somehow miss out on SH.

5. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

I've been teching to Pottery first about 90% of the time now because of shrines. I usually go Scout >> Monument >> Shrine >> Worker.

I've also been grabbing Tradition a lot lately, early (free!) aqueducts is a very powerful bonus that I find hard to pass up, especially now that the free settler from Liberty doesn't come as early.

6. Barghaest

Barghaest King

Reminds me of a pre-G&K game where my capital had one marble and 4 stone within 3 tiles... needless to say I raced directly towards Mausoleum!

7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Scout->Shrine->Monument

8. Peacemongerer

Peacemongerer Prince

I go monument while I'm waiting on pottery, then shrine and stonehenge.

9. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Me the order is Monument-Shrine-Worker-Settler( Depending on terrain)if not then warrior-and then settler

10. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Drooling Barbarian

City 1: Scout-part of monument-shrine-finish monument-archer, settler, or Stonehenge.

Cities 2 and 3: Shrine-Archer-Monument

11. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

right after monument. Faith is a must have resource that fits neatly between cultures and sciences.

My build usually scout->monument->shrine->great library

12. Trik

Trik Chieftain

In most cases i just rush a shrine and hope i find a religious CS.

13. Wuddel

Wuddel Warlord

I think it makes a lot of difference when you have the Ancient Wonders DLC. The AI will almost always build Temple of Artemis as the first wonder in the game.

14. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

i try not to keep to one path but if I had one it would probably be something like:

monument - scout - shrine - worker - granary...

15. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Today messing around with Byzantium on emperor, I never built a single shrine, nor did I get faith from a hut and met no religious city states.

I worked for great library, took liberty policies and sold a luxury to a friendly AI for 345g. With the gold I bought 1 shine in capitol, and got my pantheon "kind of late", but I was still able to pick oral tradition, which with my wine and citrus and liberty culture was enough to speed along the policy track. I then used the free tech from great library to beeline theology, and the great engineer from completing liberty to rush-build hagia sophia, which netted me a great prophet.

So, I was the first to found religion. My christian itinerant preachers and cataphracts proceeded to dominate the known world...

16. ense7en

ense7en n7

Usually have been going Monument > Shrine except in the first city where i do scout first generally.

17. Louis8k8

Louis8k8 Chieftain

Scout -> Monument (unfinished) -> Shrine -> Finish Monument -> Worker (unfinished)-> GL/Stonehenge/Library -> Finish worker -> Archer -> Varies

I rush my shrine. I need to pantheon rush or I won't get a religion. I need that early economic boost. Waiting for someone to convert me is too late and I'll be miles behind.

Policy is liberty and dive for free settler + purchase settler. 3 city and gogo. My 4th city is usually after 100 turns. And all my new cities start with building shrines.

I race for top 4 in pantheons, and top 3 founding religions, and #1 enhanced religion.

18. mike678

mike678 Warlord

That's like a carbon copy of my set up :eek:. Get out of my mind :cry:

19. civzombie

civzombie Prince

Usually you will have access to 250 gp by the time you are done researching pottery (like say 120gp in your treasury and +7 gpt per turn that you can use to borrow for the rest). Rush buy the shrine for early religion.

EDIT - especially if you already have 4 or 8 faith from meeting one or more religious city states and getting the small instant faith bonus.