When do you stop building cities?

Obviously you stop if you have to (i.e. you run out of space). But given enough land/opportunity, is there a point in the game past which its just unwise to keep building settlers?

I don't understand the question. My brain rejects it.

I want a big Army, conquer the world as fast as possible, so few cities and lot of units. If money is ok, I build more. But when I get negative money for having built too cities... I stop...
I already have lost the game. I only play Domination or conquer. But more cities you build, more you get negative money... no Army = Loose. Ai do not builds army anyway....
So the question for me would be more appropriate, when do yuo stop builing units?

Yes but most buildings and districts have maintenance costs

Then again you can get an extra trade route per extra city which nets more gold than the city costs you. If you build up your commercial hub first a city will never have a negative impact on your empirewide gold. Also is money ever a problem in dom games where you can just pillage a few hundred gold like every turn?

Reactions: PiR
Never.

My capital (usually) just churns out settlers from turn 20 to turn 200. I might have a little pause in there to put up a new building/district the hard way, but I try to buy with gold whenever possible.

Top Bottom