1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you stop planting GPTI and switch to bulbing?

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by Kim Dong Un, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Using standard speed for this discussion, around what point of the game (on average) do you abandon trying to squeeze out another %boost on future bulbs, for just bathing in instant yields and benefiting immediately?

Obviously policy choice will influence some of the decision making, but I was just curious to hear some other opinions. Maybe some of the Deity players or "math-heads" in the community know something I don't, and have their own little sweet-spot for when they begin to switch things up.

2. CppMaster

CppMaster Emperor

Depends on a Great Person, but usually it's modern era

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

This doesn't have any math rigor behind it but here is my general notes:

1) GS: I plant about 4-5 academies. At that point new academies only increase the effective science output of bulb by ~6.5-7%, and the academy output won't ever pay off a bulb in standard speed.

2) Great Merchant: 1 town, than I go into WLTKD. The only thing that really affects this is how easily I am able to WLTKD, if my cities are already raking this in, than I may go with another town, but most of the time to the bulb shop.

3) Artists: Once a bulb can instantly send me into a GA I'll bulb it, otherwise I keep getting works until it does.

4) Writers: I think late industrial early modern...once bulbs can get me 7-8 ish turns of culture.

5) Diplomats: I embassy every one I can until the world is filled up, then I'll use them on weak CS to flip them or more likely, just secure a good strong friendship that will last a while.

6) Musician: If I'm playing CV, I work all of them until either after Telecommunication or Internet, then I bulb them to push for the victory. Otherwise I work all of them unless I am really hurting for happy.

7) Engineers: This is the one that I personally need the most work with, I never feel like I focused on them as much as I need to.

vyyt, Favorius and CppMaster like this.
  4. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I usually stop planting around the time of ideologies.

Except engineers, if a good wonder is there grab it.

5. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

All good points.

As another factor to consider, I've sometimes found myself hesitant to faith buy any writers/artists if I'm in the midst of churning out archeologists and securing artifacts, since the value of those bulbs can be boosted nicely by filling out several more slots. How impactful this is, I don't know; I haven't crunched the numbers or anything, but that feature is there for a reason so I might as well utilize it to some extent.

6. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

For faith purchasing great writers, try waiting until the world's fair is in play. You need the silver level bonus for 20% culture for 20 turns. You want a golden age as well (which you could save a great artist for). Buy a great writer after 5, 10, and 15 turns if you can.

Sometimes I'll even change all of my cities to produce arts too. It's possible to get like 6 social policies within 15 turns from this play.

Drakle, Moochamoola, vyyt and 2 others like this.
  7. CppMaster

CppMaster Emperor

That's crazy! Nice strategy that I keep forgetting to do.

8. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

I think the whole bulbing question would be more interesting in general if some of the bonuses were inverted. For example:

Engineer - Can build Academy or speed Production.

Scientist - Can build Manufactury or bulb science.

I could imagine myself building more GP late game with this kind of system because one contributes to the other. It would also motivate more GE use as tiles rather than wonders because of the late game effect.

Ziad likes this.
  9. Cokolwiek

Cokolwiek Prince

You got crazy ideas you know? I think some of them may be even crazier than mine.

However I rethought staying pantheons and I now agree with you. But not because of realism, Like I said I don't think it's realistic, but because of balance and more justice to non-founders.

10. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Thanks...I think?

I'm happy to admit that not all of my ideas are good. But I do think them through and I'm confident they can have potency. I don't care how they sound and am happy to spit them forth. :)

11. Cokolwiek

Cokolwiek Prince

I think it would be brutally exploitable. Early and midgame you would work only engineers to get wonders and plant academies, while switching to now dirt cheap scientists to bulb them at late stages.

12. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

See this is a useful feedback!