When do you throw in the towel?

dennisg

Warlord
I was just wondering when you pretty much consider the game over and concede defeat to the AI's. In other words....when do you finally say to yourself that it's..."game over, man!" ?

When I get DOWed on unexpectedly and have no hope of holding "my precioussss!" cities. This usually ends with me entering the worldbuilder, and the enemy civ suddenly being eaten by barbarians...then I feel ashamed of myself, and quit that game.

Yeah an unexpected DoW early in the game is usually a reason for me to quit the game. In addition on small maps when you are blocked into a small part of the map and the only strategic resource is claimed by a creative civ two rounds before you want to settle. The only games i really have "lost" are cultural and diplomatic victories by the AI where i did not pay enough attention. And i think one time a space race victory by catherine which was very close to my space ship.

I used to play them all out as a learning experience. Now, I will usually pack it in if the entire world DoWs me with a technical edge, or it's very obvious that there's no hope of winning.

NEVER
I've just become a radical envioromentist FANATIC IN REAL LIFE,''go sea sheperd'', because I been brain washed into thinking I'M DAN QUAIL

I will abandom games but it not cause its tough, more that the settings i choosen don't suit me In multi player I'm still DQ but my mates like playing Me --- Never Surrender or Quit
I'm the french at adgincore, waterloo
Boudicea the week after she burns London ( 120000 vs 10000 romans Prets they recon 30000 died inthe javlin fist strikes
Hanabal AT Carthage
Germany AT Trobrouk
Japan AT kokoda
Austrlia AT Galipolli

What is this throw in the towel of which you speak?

I'll only quit if I am being hopelessly overrun, or on a truly crappy start where I have no chance of being competitive. "Lost" games where I am far, far behind I play out hoping someone starts lobbing nukes and I'm away from the blast zone.

When the game stops being fun.

I quit if I am wining or loosing by a to large margin.
On the other hand, hopeless situation where I might get annihilated can provide some last turns of fun.

When the game stops being fun.

Same.

I quit when i get bored, or if the win (or loss) is inevitable.. and i just can't be bothered to "grind" through it. Sometimes it just takes too long to reach that end conclusion, and i'd rather just start a new game.

On higher levels were mistakes are HUGE deals, I quit if I lose the race to a wonder that I was banking the next 2000 years on (Great Library, or Great Lighthouse for example)...

Another example is when I crush an AI, and am all stretched thin defensively, and a bordering AI DOWs me

By the tone of your posts, that would be every single game wouldn't it? :D
:lol::lol::lol:

Heavens no! I do win the odd Settler game. :p

Early DoW by my "friend" is usually enough for me to quit. It just annoys me when my "pleased" buddy gets all opportunistic and decides I'm a tasty snack.

Usually, if I survive until ~1200 AD, I'll play out the rest of the game. My current game may end up as a horrible loss or a squeaker win: I'm the bottom dog of the 3 remaining civs. Alexander has roughly 45% of the globe, Tokugawa holds about 35%, and I'm holding in with 20%. (Was blocked in by Charlemagne who prevented my taking of anything more than three cities over the course of the game.) But I've been able to keep a tech lead for at least military techs, so I'll be courting Alex while I whittle down Japan's empire.

Crossing my fingers for a good ending!

I give up after I get donkey punched by some civ that has been sitting on the side lines right after Ive taken out a neighbor or two and have no military to defend my cities.

Theres nothing more demoralizing than seeing stacks of 20 plus cavalry role into a rear town when Im building monuments, and what not, and only have a few pikes/longbowman to defend in each town.

Meh. Guess I can be a baby some times.

interesting thread...

to be honest, I hardly ever finish a game... when I´m too good, I can either give the ai some techs or mostly I just quit... and since I´m such a builder, even though I know a thousand years before that this civ will be going after me if I´m not pumping troops, in most games somehow I´m not doing it :mischief: mostly I quit then by seeing the enemy SoD...
I guess I don´t really want to win, but keep everything open till the very end.

question: considering every game you play, do you more often find yourself in the position to win or to loose? can we consider the ai as dumb (and it is dumb) when we cut off its advantage in striking when we are weak?

I usually don't quit (I like the challenge), but when I get those early DOWs and I stupidly hadn't built up my military yet, I pretty much restart the game. I try to keep it going just for the experience, but it is pretty obvious that they built their military (they'll be sending huge stacks of units) and I have nothing compared to them, but I am stupid for not building my military early and also not checking out other civilizations military. With that said, if I get attacked and I have a nice military going on, I never quit, I just look at it as an opportunity to win the war on them and gain some money or cities.

I probably only finish about 1/4 of my games. The single most common reason I quit it because it ends up being a stalemate for the end game. Yeah, maybe I could win, but I don't really feel like spending hours cranking out Modern Armor for years.

I usually quit at bad start, like in middle of tundra.
I do not regenerate map 15 times to get those 5 gems or lots of food, I prefer equal starts with AI.
I also quit when it seems I have won, and building 10,000 tank divisions is not fun.
These days I usually do not quit when enemy declares war on me, in last game enemy attacked from two sides of continent, took 4 my cities - then I rolled one enemy taking 3 cities and agreeing peace. That allowed to throw everything at other enemy and get peace there. Oh, and they will die horribly today for my destroyed Globe Theater.
I think I will leave their last cities, vassalize them and nuke some 20-30 times.

interesting thread...

to be honest, I hardly ever finish a game... when I´m too good, I can either give the ai some techs or mostly I just quit... and since I´m such a builder, even though I know a thousand years before that this civ will be going after me if I´m not pumping troops, in most games somehow I´m not doing it :mischief: mostly I quit then by seeing the enemy SoD...
I guess I don´t really want to win, but keep everything open till the very end.

question: considering every game you play, do you more often find yourself in the position to win or to loose? can we consider the ai as dumb (and it is dumb) when we cut off its advantage in striking when we are weak?

Most games are winnable if you take the time to not waste any advantage from turn one, planning for that tank blitz or whatever cultral space etc. knocking off the right threat etc. I start like that, but often end up playing the civ :lol:

England must have stonehenge, rome and china must have the greatwall, the mongalls must have lots of horse , I'm rome , egpyt on map i don't build Prymids,

so i get that don't rally want to win thing to , I don't give up, fun playing Civs lost from history' but if you take your eye off the ball ater turn 0 its a big advantage to the AI'S

When I get bored.

Me to. When it becomes a grind, and too much of chore.

One of my favorite games back in Warlords was as Shaka. It was a Huge/Marathon Great Plains map, and I started in one corner and just started conquering. Grabbed pretty much the whole world, and it was fun for a good while. But the game turned into a management exercise towards the end. I was only a few border pops away from a Dom Win, but I just couldn't play anymore. Probably would've been my highest scoring game if I'd finished it.

Top Bottom