When does the AI use Nukes?

FenrysWulf

Evil Norse Wolf
I've seen a lot of posts on here where the use of nuclear weapons is casually tossed around like it happens all the time. Well, I have been playing Civ since the week it came out, and I have never seen anyone use nuclear weapons. What does it take to get the AI to use them? In my current game, Egypt built the Manhattan project, and later declared war on me. I was just waiting for the nuclear explosion, but no matter how long the war goes on and how many cities I take, they never use them. I've even captured two cities with a nuclear weapon in them, so I know they have them. Are they waiting for me to strike first or what?

When I use nukes, a lot of civs declare war on me for using them. They could be afraid of their neighbors for that reason.

I used my first ICBM on a fleet of carriers, all at sea. However no-one retaliated, but they did if I used another nuke, no matter what I blew up. I suppose nuking a city is the biggest rep hit one can get in Civ.

I had a game where Zulus and Indians nuked each others till the end. I was just happy looking at them fighting. And that was on Vanilla Civ 1.29f.

On my current game Zulus nuked me because I was razing his cities instead of taking them. I suppose AI normally don't use nukes if you take cities.

Ive only ever seen them use nukes if you nuke them first. After that they tend to retaliate - I don't normaly have the tech to start nuclear wars before the time runs out but its great fun having one all the same :)

In my current game, the world was mostly peaceful up until Modern Age, and then a war broke out that's about 500+ turns old now. About halfway thru I could hear nukes flying, although I couldn't see who was launching them or where they landed. But after I conquered more territory, Egypt had been nearly wiped out by nukes and Rome had taken a few hits. I'm currently finishing off Carthage and every now and then they hit me with one (for some reason my SDI only stopped like 1 out of 5), while the only nukes I've launched have been in retalition for those - one of their cities for one of mine.

SDI is just a theoretical calculation of "what is the chance of stopping a moving object in 3 dimensions". So don't be surprised if your SDI can't stop a nuke.

if I beat an AI up badly they will often resort to nukes - resulting in a nuke frenzy that kills them and leaves me as the sole civ with nukes on the planet :D

When they use them seems to me to be based in part on "personality". I was getting along fine with the Iroquois, trading etc until my oil disappeared onto their land and they wanted an arm and a leg for it, so we went to war. His first chance, he sent his only nuke onto me - so he went from gracious to Duke Nuke-Em in one turn.

OTOH, the Persians and Babs and I were about equal in strength. I was at war with England and Aztecs. Soon Persia and Babs did an alliance against Liz, and Babs was also at war with the Aztecs. Liz and Aztecs were on my home continent and easy pickings because they were resource starved. After I took a few cities it became easier and I started running into a nuclear wasteland. Apparently both Persia and Babs used them liberally, BUT were "careful" not to use them too close to me.

I had to go and ask. In my game the Egyptians just decided to go nuclear, using three in one turn. Strangely, they waited until I had destroyed their entire continental civilization and all they had left was a few islands. And the cities they attacked were all minor ones. Luckily I already own 95% of the map, so their days are numbered.

Originally posted by raen
I never use or produce ICBM. But modern armors I produce hundreds. And in one game the AI attacked me with nukes. They hitted their one´s cities (that I gained of course).

Hey not to be peticular but you better spell check this and edit it before people start insulting you and others defending you and starting a flame war...I've seen it happen.

I mass-produce ICBM's. They are my life at the end of the game. Right before I know I'm gonna win, I nuke everyone's capital, laugh heartily, and win! It's failproof, unless I don't win next turn...

Top Bottom