1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When Goody huts go bad......

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by FM_Freyland, Mar 14, 2002.

1. FM_Freyland

FM_Freyland Vote with your wallets!

I am the expansionist Zulu in this game, using the 1.16f patch. Note the year.

2. Mr Spice

Mr Spice Emperor

:confused:

Were you about to attach a saved game? If so, it did not work.

3. FM_Freyland

I thought I was attaching a pix for viewing, but it turns out I know not how. Sigh. Lets just put a file up for viewing then.

Attached Files:

4. Jezner

Jezner Warlord

I think this should be it

5. Jezner

Jezner Warlord

:goodjob:

Attached Files:

6. God

God God

What difficulty are you playing?

7. FM_Freyland

Monarch, I believe. Whatever is after Warlord.

I just kept hitting goody hut after goody hut, and receiving techs. Thanks to the local natives, I am the most civilized barbarians on the planet!

Jonathan

8. Aeson

Aeson orangesoda Retired Moderator

One thing you might want to consider in games like that is not researching Monarchy or Republic while there are still huts left. Instead research Construction or Currency. The reason is that once you get to the Middle Ages, huts won't give any more techs. Huts also won't give you the tech you are researching currently unless it is the last available tech you have all the pre-requisites for. By doing research on Construction or Currency you give yourself the chance to get Monarchy and Republic from huts before moving on to the Middle Ages.

9. Mongoloid Cow

Mongoloid Cow Great Khan

In a game I played as the Greeks, I got 3 Settlers in a row. But never have I seen that much tech that early in the game.

10. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

would you buy me a lottery ticket?????

with 1.16 I`ve never seen so much luck! :)

11. funkymunky

funkymunky Warlord

And I thought this thread was about some sort of massive barbarian invasion! And speaking of that, has any of you experience such super invasions? I've played a few games where over 20 barbarian horsemen would launch an attack on my cities. Since I generally don't have more than a three or four troops guarding any city (especially in the early stages when this happens), the my cities often get sacked like this. One sacking depleted my entire treasury this way, over 300 gold for sacking a size 2 city on the outskirts of my empire! I don't know if this is a bug, but it *slightly* upset me.

12. aja

aja Chieftain

great game. take the villagers out to dinner.

jezner, great signature

13. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

I've had that happen (on regent level and below), but not sure if it was that quick or not. How big is that map and how many civs? It's easy for that to happen on a huge pangea map (any version of the game, although v1.17f makes this harder because of all the free settlers :D ). Just send out 3-4 scouts right away. And real easy if you don't have any other expansionist civs near you. In situations like that I do what Aeson recommended. I'll play a civ that starts with Bronze Working, then go with Iron Working---> Construction, and hopefully by the time you researched construction all the other techs have been found.

14. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

You experienced a Barbarian uprising. If you leave a barbarian camp alone too long it will produce one of these stacks. Though the nearest town to it should get a warning of the uprising (of course they may then vary well go after another town, the poor egyptians in my last game).

There is another thread here with people saying how much they love these barbarians. And in my latest game, I modded the map to put in a hoard of barb camps in a hard to reach location (a nice pack of mountains). My city at the mountain foothills was under constant attack. Got quite a few elite units that way :)

15. MummyMan

MummyMan Emperor

I've never gotten a settler from a goody hut, poor me.:(

16. FM_Freyland

Huge map, 12 civs, with Greeks to my SW, Japanese to my east, Babylon to my NE, and Rome/Egypt much more North. I have no idea what kind of map, as I always randomize it. The other Civs just did not seem to make a strong effort to hit the huts, plus I received three free warriors from huts as well, significantly easing the scout attrition from barbarians.

Killer, sadly my luck, as far as important things, ended at the acquisition of my wife. Best thing that ever happened to me. Still, I can't remember if I got her from a goodyhut or not! :D

17. FM_Freyland

I seem to have squandered my technological lead. The Babylonians and Japanese, in addition to "politely" demanding a tech each, managed to catch up and pass me. They also have quite a few more cities and seem to dress their citizens better. I am distraught. Was going to try a non-military game this time, but unless I spank one of them now, I am gonna lose. :mad:

18. Alc0p0pz

Alc0p0pz Chieftain

Once a tech is known by at least one Civ, it's research cost decreases significantly for other Civs. I've seen Refining in the middle ages go from 16 turns to 4 turns remaining ... after one turn! :eek:

So the moral of this story is, Expansionist really is utter bollocks.
    Unless you get Settlers instead of tech, natch. :)

Edit to add - were I designer of Civ3, I would give Expansionist half-price Granaries, Aqueducts and Hospitals. :)