1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When hidden modifiers break a game within 25 turns. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Revenant, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Revenant

Revenant Warlord

Started a new game on Emperor. Fractal map, Epic, random civ. No huts or events. 25 turns in and this is where I stand in the world.

Spoiler :

I've never really been in such a difficult diplo situation before and am not sure where to begin. War with Shaka is pretty much inevitable but is there much point trying to get on the good side of everyone else? It will take a lot to gain their favour over Shaka. I know it's early days but I imagine things will only get harder when religion comes into play, unless I'm lucky enough that there'll be a religious split but that seems unlikely.

If anyone wants to give this a try I'll post a 4000 B.C save. Without giving too much away, the land is pretty decent so it's not a lost cause.

I'm fairly new to Emperor but I'm determined to see this game through.

The start:
    Spoiler :

I settled 1 SE

The known world:
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

2. Alki

Alki Prince

If it was my save I'd be thinking about making my 2nd city to the NW of Zululand to grab that gold if at all possible.

3. Revenant

Revenant Warlord

That's exactly what I did. It turns out I was a bit premature with my complaining though as both Elizabeth and Sitting Bull are on the scene. And you know what happens when they're around :)

Still though diplomacy is seriously screwed up in this game. This shouldn't happen.
    Spoiler :

Everyone is +1 with everyone else but hidden modifiers make all the difference.

Let's hope Civ 5 fixes this, among other things.

4. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

You're not anyone's worst enemy, what's to complain about?

5. Revenant

Revenant Warlord

I was the worst enemy right at the start until Shaka found himself a new favourite worst enemy.

Meh, I just felt like ranting a bit. The situation seemed like crap at the start because Shaka automatically hated me and everyone else loved each other. It's a flawed diplomacy system but I suppose I won't have to deal with it any more when Civ 5 comes along

6. Barney's_Soul

Barney's_Soul Warlord

civ 5 will have diplomacy.

*boom*