1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

when I put my computer on stand by it comes out of stand by

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by wit>trope, Jul 30, 2005.

1. wit>trope

wit>trope Chieftain

When I press the Sleep button on my computer or when I log out and then choose Stand By on the menu, it goes into stand by but then about 10 seconds later it comes out of stand by automatically :confused:

This is on Windows Media Center Edition ... it says Windows XP Professional though in the System Information.

Is it System Restore that's causing this or something? :confused:

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

What else do you have running at the time? Any chance that some other program is waking it up?

3. wit>trope

wit>trope Chieftain

I don't know. I have lots of things running. The things in my task bar are: Norton Internet Security, an anti-spyware program, HP Digital Imaging Monitor, ATI, printer program, volume, safely remove hardware (I don't get why this is in the task bar since I don't have any external drive hooked up :confused: )

4. Civrules

Civrules We the People

I have the same problem, and I found that running software wake it up. ;)

Yep, same here too.

5. Dease

Dease Be Original

That icon shows up on mine when I have my printer turned on, could be that:) though that still wouldn't bring it out of standby...

6. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

What is the point of standby? I've never used nor saw why I should use it.

7. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Maybe your anti-virus tries to update itself, or scan a file etc?

8. wit>trope

wit>trope Chieftain

My printer is turned off though (it is hooked up though and still plugged into electrical power). The ones that "show up" when I double click on the Safely Remove Hardware are:

Generic USB SD Reader
    Generic USB CF Reader
    Generic USB SM Reader
    Generic USB MS Reader

I don't even know what these are! but apparently they stand for "SmartMedia" "CompactFlash" "Memory Stick" ... I don't know what SD stands for.

@ainwood I do have automatic update for my anti virus so maybe you are right.

@vbraun I don't know the point of stand by either. All I know is that it's supposed to save power and I guess that means it generates less heat right? I wonder if I really need it though because my Athlon 64 apparently automatically runs at a lower clock speed if I'm not doing anything CPU-intensive. But is it better for the life or longevity of the computer to just keep it on and not on standy by all the time? I heard that turning it off is bad for the computer.

9. shadowdude

shadowdude cynic in training

It saves a lot of electricty and and allows for the computer to be reactivated quickly. I use standby when I go out to lunch, it saves electricity while I'm gone and allows me turn it back on quickly.