when I put my computer on stand by it comes out of stand by

wit>trope

Deity
When I press the Sleep button on my computer or when I log out and then choose Stand By on the menu, it goes into stand by but then about 10 seconds later it comes out of stand by automatically :confused:

This is on Windows Media Center Edition ... it says Windows XP Professional though in the System Information.

Is it System Restore that's causing this or something? :confused:

I don't know. I have lots of things running. The things in my task bar are: Norton Internet Security, an anti-spyware program, HP Digital Imaging Monitor, ATI, printer program, volume, safely remove hardware (I don't get why this is in the task bar since I don't have any external drive hooked up :confused: )

I have the same problem, and I found that running software wake it up. ;)

cierdan said:
...safely remove hardware (I don't get why this is in the task bar since I don't have any external drive hooked up :confused: )

Yep, same here too.

cierdan said:
safely remove hardware (I don't get why this is in the task bar since I don't have any external drive hooked up :confused: )
That icon shows up on mine when I have my printer turned on, could be that:) though that still wouldn't bring it out of standby...

Dease said:
That icon shows up on mine when I have my printer turned on, could be that:) though that still wouldn't bring it out of standby...

My printer is turned off though (it is hooked up though and still plugged into electrical power). The ones that "show up" when I double click on the Safely Remove Hardware are:

Generic USB SD Reader
Generic USB CF Reader
Generic USB SM Reader
Generic USB MS Reader

I don't even know what these are! but apparently they stand for "SmartMedia" "CompactFlash" "Memory Stick" ... I don't know what SD stands for.

@ainwood I do have automatic update for my anti virus so maybe you are right.

@vbraun I don't know the point of stand by either. All I know is that it's supposed to save power and I guess that means it generates less heat right? I wonder if I really need it though because my Athlon 64 apparently automatically runs at a lower clock speed if I'm not doing anything CPU-intensive. But is it better for the life or longevity of the computer to just keep it on and not on standy by all the time? I heard that turning it off is bad for the computer.

Top Bottom