1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When is Desert Folklore Worth It?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by JPArsenal87, Jul 27, 2013.

1. JPArsenal87

JPArsenal87 Chieftain

I'm a very new player playing G+K, and I keep hearing about how Desert Folklore is like the most amazing pantheon belief in the game (and I also hear that Petra is amazing when coupled w DF, which makes sense.)

I guess what I am curious about is how many desert tiles do I need around my capital to make desert folklore worth it? I was just playing a game when I had 1 desert tile in my original 6 hexes around my cap, but 5 more in the ring outside of that. Is that enough, or does my cap need to be like in the mdidle of the desert to make it worth it?

Thanks

2. Marcher Jovian

Marcher Jovian Emperor

It all depends on what is on those desert tiles, are there hills and/or resources on them?

3. black213

black213 Emperor

I'd say when you have a lot of flood plains (easy to work early without losing food) and hills (which can be worked once you have farmed the flood plains).

4. qhash

qhash Chieftain

Remember that Petra does not work for flood plains, just Desert and Desert Hills, so it's not always as powerful as you might think. It has a few additional bonuses, however.
    If you have a city with 4+ desert tiles, I think Petra is worth it. If you have a desert start on lots of floodplains, then desert folklore is also a viable option.

5. Falconiano

Falconiano Prince

My rule is if I have at least 2 good tiles of desert (oasis, hill, desert with fresh water) it's worth getting.

6. slowcar

slowcar King

2 desert tiles that you can work with an existing city should be good, often you will have more cities later. faith generating pantheons are quite powerful.

7. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Desert folklore is probably one of the best pantheons and you should almost always take it if you have a few desert tiles. In fact I will often take even if the desert will be grab by my second city, unless I have a stronger immediate pantheon like a several quarries around my cap. Or plethora of silver and gold.

I mean think about it. Even 1 workable tile is equal to 1 shrine.

8. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

If you start by a desert? Always. You will easily generate an upwards of 200+ faith per turn if you have enough desert tiles, which is enough to effectively purchase units/buildings well into the industrial era+.

9. Asgrahim

Asgrahim Chieftain

I tend to take DF when I have at least 5 desert tiles of any kind near my first city.

10. mrwho

mrwho Prince

Even having two desert tiles on useful hexes you know your workers will work would be enough. That's already tripled your early game faith. 6 hexes around your cap is better than Stonehenge once your city has grown enough, assuming they are in good spots. Get it for sure.

11. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

4 tiles that I'd want to work (not counting anything requiring a Great Wonder) in my minimum for the (+1) faith only producing pantheons. I normally consider the capital & my future second city; but not anything later.

I case of DF, tiles that I would count are flood plains, Desert Hill (with or without fresh water), and Oasis.

12. Peac0ck69

Peac0ck69 Chieftain

You have to look at the pantheoons available and decide which is the best for your environment. Will getting faith from something like quarries, gold/silver, etc. give you more faith in the long run? It might be a better idea. If your desert tiles aren't flood plains and don't have any yield if worked yu have to think: am I likely to get the petra wonder?

You generally want to push for extra faith from your first pantheon. If this isn't viable or if you don't think you'll yield enough faith for it to be worth it you might want to consider getting +10% food (which I find is always a great back-up).

13. flairin

flairin Prince

I'd want desert tiles all over (at least 6 tiles in my capital) plus more desert tiles available in other cities... but depends on resources. My favorite pantheon now is the one with gems. Had a game where I started out with three sources of gems in my capital. IMO better to take this one if you have the gems

14. The Little One

The Little One Warlord

My first BNW game was Morocco and I took Petra and DF and just spammed Kasbahs. Twas incredible.

15. newarkinvaders

newarkinvaders Chieftain

With pantheons its my theory that you should always take the one that will give you the most faith

16. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

It's often good. Perhaps not if OCC with 6 tundra deer, but often it's good.