When should a kid get a cell phone?

When should a kid get a cell phone?

• Total voters
Do companies still hire the unemployed? It seems to me they only hire those who already have jobs.
No, we unemployed are discriminated against because of the perception there is something wrong with us :rolleyes:.

As I see it, all a phone does is give the holder of the phone virtually instant communication with anyone else with a phone. We can all agree that communication in of itself is a relatively harmless thing, so can you explain where a 100 dollar piece of plastic and metal gets in the way of "normal" teenage development?
Cell phones come to dominate social interaction especially among girls.

We can all agree that communication in of itself is a relatively harmless thing...
Only as an abstract concept. What, how and how frequently people communicate can be anything from dazzlingly wonderful to terrifyingly horrible. More is not always a good thing. My experience tells me that most teenage cell phone communication is 90% a waste of time, which would not be bad, except that it prevents other more important learning at a particularly important time. It is too easy and always there as a distraction.

//madviking evokes Devil's advocate

Cell phones come to dominate social interaction especially among girls.

Only as an abstract concept. What, how and how frequently people communicate can be anything from dazzlingly wonderful to terrifyingly horrible. More is not always a good thing. My experience tells me that most teenage cell phone communication is 90% a waste of time, which would not be bad, except that it prevents other more important learning at a particularly important time. It is too easy and always there as a distraction.

Granted being distracted by a phone is bad for other things, but doesn't that assume that there's a "proper" or a "correct" way to raise a teenager?

Additionally, is there such a thing as communication which is a waste of time? Clearly, if an individual takes the time to text, and does not regret it, it's not wasted time.

For someone like me, a phone's primarily for emergencies or setting up hanging out. I went without a phone until I was... 17?

They're convenient, but hardly needed.

There is no real "age" for a phone. Whenever you get a job you should get one, however.

Probably a prepaid phone at a very early time.. It is something that has become something of a necessity. The last remaining payphones are few and far between and will only continue to decrease due to being uneconomical.

Granted being distracted by a phone is bad for other things, but doesn't that assume that there's a "proper" or a "correct" way to raise a teenager?

Additionally, is there such a thing as communication which is a waste of time? Clearly, if an individual takes the time to text, and does not regret it, it's not wasted time.
You don't raise teenagers, they raise you. ;)

You must not get out much. ;)

Communication is always a choice and when you choose to engage in it when you have other obligations, it is often a bad choice. Texting while driving? Talking to your boyfriend 10 times in a 50 minute class?

Get them a Magic Jack - $20 per year unlimited calling.

Yeah I wouldn't want my kids to text until they were older.

I didn't get a phone until I left for college. It was inconvenient not having one in high school once the culture was to have one. I didn't start texting until I was 20. It's okay now, because on a busy day I send 40 and on some days I send zero.

Apparently teenagers are averaging about 400 a day. Not healthy...

I don't know. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Yeah I wouldn't want my kids to text until they were older.

I didn't get a phone until I left for college. It was inconvenient not having one in high school once the culture was to have one. I didn't start texting until I was 20. It's okay now, because on a busy day I send 40 and on some days I send zero.

Apparently teenagers are averaging about 400 a day. Not healthy...
That's insane! What a waste of time! (says the guy with 21,8718 posts on a gaming forum :blush: ).

Beyond the 'oh everyone has them now' factor described above, I voted 'when they can pay for it'. Don't mooch off my money silly prats! and GET OFF MY LAWN!

Seriously, I never needed one when I was in high school. So? I had a social life anyway.

As young as possible. There are a few good reasons for this:

1. Safety. If they are abducted then having a phone is a good thing.
2. Popularity. The child will be more socially active, and more popular as a result. This will help him or her to get ahead in life.
3. The instant communication thing works both ways. The child is never out of reach of the parent.
4. I don't see how sending some texts in class will hold back a child's education. Paying attention in class is not that important.

:huh: Shekwan, are you really suggesting that 'being popular' should be a major factor in the decisions parents make for their children? And 'paying attention in class is not that important'? Please say that you're joking, when you grow up having classes cut by strikes and the like you end up craving every minute of it you can get.

:p

I'm just trying to be the devil's advocate. Theres a boring amount of agreement here...

Its really hard to come up with reasons why a 6 year old should have a mobile though. :sad:

:huh: Shekwan, are you really suggesting that 'being popular' should be a major factor in the decisions parents make for their children?

I think it should be. Now, being popular doesn't equal being happy, but they are definitely correlated in my experience.

EDIT: in answer to OP, I think 12ish. The school thing doesn't really bother me... schools can ban phones in school or confiscate etc. Not the parents problem. I would give a strict number of minutes and texts until they were a bit older.

Give them an old, cheap nokia or something, on a Pay As You Go plan with £10 on it or something. They get nicer phones when they can prove they can handle the responsibility of carrying something worth £100 on them without losing it/breaking it/selling it for crack.

They can get a simple phone in middle school (like what I have) but if they want a smart phone they should pay for it. The phone is to call their parents when they needing picking up, emergencies ect. Not for them to play angry birds or anything else fun.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think I would get my kid a phone until they started driving. I could see the value in a prepaid emergency phone once they started high school, but if they wanted features above and beyond that, I would expect them to help pay for it.

I think you can have a robust social life in middle school without one, and I'd rather they focus on other things.

Top Bottom