1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When should a kid get a cell phone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LucyDuke, Aug 2, 2011.

?

When should a kid get a cell phone?

1. Home has landline - ≤6

6.3%
  2. Home has landline - 7-9

7.1%
  3. Home has landline - 10-12

22.3%
  4. Home has landline - 13-14

27.7%
  5. Home has landline - 15-16

17.0%
  6. Home has landline - ≥17

10.7%
  7. Home has landline - when kid can pay for it

25.0%
  8. Home lacks landline - ≤6

4.5%
  9. Home lacks landline - 7-9

10.7%
  10. Home lacks landline - 10-12

26.8%
  11. Home lacks landline - 13-14

15.2%
  12. Home lacks landline - 15-16

11.6%
  13. Home lacks landline - ≥17

8.0%
  14. Home lacks landline - when kid can pay for it

17.9%
  15. GET OFF MY LAWN

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

I think if we all just used my family's system of "do good in school or you're gonna get it," the world would be a better place.

Kids are free to use whatever their parents buy them, unless it conflicts with good grades. I like this relaxed system, and quite frankly, would like it to include entertainment devices, not just cell phones. "Go outside" is overrated.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Depends on what you mean by 'go outside', Tani.

3. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

I did a lot of extracurriculars after school which would end at variable times, so to be picked up I'd have to endlessly borrow friends' cellphones, which would end up being embarrassing for me and somewhat of a hassle for them...so my parents got me a cellphone when they upgraded theirs and my sister's plan.

Mind you, I was in middle school, so IMO it's a very variable thing. I tended to use it exclusively to call my parents, so I guess one of those prepaid/set number ones would have worked just as well, but those just look so corny :lol:

So I'd say it depends on when the parent feels there's a pressing non-social need for the kid to have one.

4. civver_764

civver_764 Chieftain

Whenever a kid wants one and it's reasonably affordable.

5. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

That ridiculous ideology parents and especially grandparents peddle about how back in the day they were all outside, always playing etc.

They can't stand the fact that we can actually have fun inside the house in the modern era, so they paint their days - filled with Cold War tensions, Civil Rights issues, and backwards technologies - as oh so glorious.

Really, I'm just expanding the cell phone debate into a leisure in general one, and how it's constantly assaulted by individuals who grew up in less advanced times. Apart from the physical activity issue, what is so bad about staying inside and having fun there? At the very least, your chances of being abducted or killed in gang violence are substantially reduced.

6. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Any child of mine needs to come up with better rebuttals than that!

7. mangxema

mangxema I

Why else does a young kid need a cell phone?

8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I got mine senior year of HS, so I'll say then.

It varies on the family and the kid, but the general rule for me is a cheap basic cell phone for 8th and 9th grade while a nicer one 10th grade.

9. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

This just in from the BBC.

Those numbers don't quite add up, but they'll do.

I'm surprised. What does a 9 year old kid need a flat-screen television in their bedroom for?

10. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Humm…
    [wiki]Nomophobia[/wiki] is the fear of being out of mobile phone contact. The term, an abbreviation for "no-mobile-phone phobia", was coined during a study by the UK Post Office who commissioned YouGov, a UK-based research organisation to look at anxieties suffered by mobile phone users. The study found that nearly 53 percent of mobile phone users in Britain tend to be anxious when they "lose their mobile phone, run out of battery or credit, or have no network coverage".. The study found that about 58 percent of men and 48 percent of women suffer from the phobia, and an additional 9 percent feel stressed when their mobile phones are off. The study sampled 2,163 people. Fifty-five percent of those surveyed cited keeping in touch with friends or family as the main reason that they got anxious when they could not use their mobile phones. The study compared stress levels induced by the average case of nomophobia to be on-par with those of "wedding day jitters" and trips to the dentists. Ten percent of those questioned said they needed to be contactable at all times because of work. It is, however, arguable that the word 'phobia' is misused and that in the majority of cases it is only a normal anxiety.

More than one in two nomophobes never switch off their mobile phones. The study and subsequent coverage of the phobia resulted in two editorial columns authored by those who minimize their mobile phone use or choose not to own one at all, treating the condition with light undertones or outright disbelief and amusement.​
    Withdrawal symptoms on cellphone absence? Bloody hell.

11. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Buy them a phone whenever, just don't let them take them to school. For many kids phones disrupt both their learning and the learning of those in the vicinity.

12. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

I got a phone in 6th grade, when I entered middle school. (age 11-12) I think somewhere between age 10-13 is a good time, as this is when kids start staying at home and hanging out with friends without parental supervision (or at least it was when I did) and this would help.

Then again, I am only a high school freshman who turns 15 next month, so I am not a very reliable opinion on this :p

13. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite Chieftain

I voted "Home has landline, when they can pay for it". This might seem a bit old fashioned but cell phones aren't a necessity and are a privilege, not a right. If you want one, pay it yourself; that's how I got my first!

14. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

Eh. Giving my child a cell phones would be entirely as an additional safety measure, not a reward of any sort. I would give it to them whenever they started spending a significant amount of time away from school and home. That's probably between 13-15.

I wouldn't pay for any crappy apps or excessive phone calls or texting though.

15. jojorah

jojorah Chieftain

13-17, expecially then because your getting rapidly more independent and things could happen, like i take the bus to and from school, and if i change my plans and decide to walk to a friends house,or i miss the buss, its essential i call my mom.

No need for stupid black barrys, ipod phones, apps, just a phone that all it can do is make calls (if that exists)

16. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

I'd say when the kid is around 14-15 is when s/he has enough of a social life, and enough independence from the parents to warrant the cost of owning a cell phone. Any younger and I just don't think they'd put it to much use.

17. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Moderator

To be honest, the time they're really going to need the thing is to ring you and say 'Dad, the bus broke down, can you come and pick me up?'

18. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Schools have provisions for children to phone home and a bus breaking down in transit should be dealt with by the bus company/school. There are of course school scenarios one can posit in which a child could do with having a phone but I don't think they are particularly likely. When weighing up the potential benefits of having a phone in school to and the disruption that phones cause I have little doubt that they have a distinctly negative effect on pupil learning and well-being.

19. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

I remember the teacher phoning me at work when my ten year old had run off during a school field trip. She couldn't go and chase him, as she would have had to leave the rest of the class.
    I was pretty happy I could phone him, find out where he was and go and pick him up.

At school they aren't allowed to use their phones (during class) even though everybody's got one.

20. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Schools should be built as Faraday cages.