1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When should a kid get a cell phone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LucyDuke, Aug 2, 2011.

?

When should a kid get a cell phone?

1. Home has landline - ≤6

6.3%
  2. Home has landline - 7-9

7.1%
  3. Home has landline - 10-12

22.3%
  4. Home has landline - 13-14

27.7%
  5. Home has landline - 15-16

17.0%
  6. Home has landline - ≥17

10.7%
  7. Home has landline - when kid can pay for it

25.0%
  8. Home lacks landline - ≤6

4.5%
  9. Home lacks landline - 7-9

10.7%
  10. Home lacks landline - 10-12

26.8%
  11. Home lacks landline - 13-14

15.2%
  12. Home lacks landline - 15-16

11.6%
  13. Home lacks landline - ≥17

8.0%
  14. Home lacks landline - when kid can pay for it

17.9%
  15. GET OFF MY LAWN

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

What do we have high walls and barbed wire for?

2. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

We don't. :)

And as I said it was a field trip, they were 10 km from school.

3. jojorah

jojorah Chieftain

even in the unlikely event that the phone does go off at school, (most of the time there off anyways), how much would it really interfere with, i can see that in spanish class or something the teacher would stop talking for a minute or so, but most of the time at my school we are just writting stuff down and we can just keep working through the little ringtone. Really, a cell phone has stopped me from having to face the worst. like the bus schedules goes out while im doing stuff down town. If i didnt have my phone i would have had to take some security car back home...

I think the question should be "what age is to old to own a phone". After all we all know how many careless adults have car accidents using the phone, or how much time talking to there friends using a phone they waste when they could be working. I think that teens need cheap cell phones more than adults need expensive phones

4. jojorah

jojorah Chieftain

also, i dont call anyone but my parents using my phone, just an fyi

5. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

When my elementary school did field trips, we'd have the teacher plus about 7 parents.

6. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

Must have been a rich neighbourhood, when parents can not afford to work :)

7. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

Only when the kid can pay for it regardless of home phone status or not. I saw a kindergartener on the school bus with a bloody iphone when I was home one day. What the heck does that kid need an iphone for? Its sheer insanity!

8. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Families with stay at home moms/dads aren't always rich.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Give 'im a compass and make him walk back? ;)
    No, sometimes you can take a day off, or if you work freelance, then you make your own schedules.

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Or you might be unemployed :p

11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Yes, we do. Some people in my building only use cell phones, and from my problems with trying to get phone service here, I understand why. I found out that NONE of the phone jacks in my new place were functional, and apparently this went unreported due to the previous tenant not using a landline. It took two visits for the phone company to sort out the problem and make sure I had a functional internet connection, since the management company and the cable company are each claiming the other is responsible for providing cable/internet.

There is a short, easy to pronounce word that should work nicely. It's called "no."

Yep, a vicious circle. It's nearly impossible to find a payphone when one is needed, and most businesses refuse to let you borrow their phone for something as simple as calling a taxi, since you're either not one of their customers, or they refuse to let anybody use one of their phones, even if the employee does the dialing.

The public library pulled this stunt, so I ended up reporting them to City Hall. Since a portion of our property taxes go to fund the library, it's well within City Hall's authority to tell the library to call a taxi for a patron if the pay phone is out of order or tied up by a motormouth.

Does your area have laws against distracted driving? Alberta just put those into effect the first of September, and it's about bloody time! I shudder at the taxi drivers who don't pay enough attention to their driving because they're yakking on their cell phones. The driver I was with the other day pulled out a sudoku puzzle while we were at a red light, and I reminded him about the distracted driving laws. He said he wasn't driving, but I said we were still in traffic (one of the busiest intersections, too!). So he put the puzzle away.

A lack of cell phones certainly never stopped my generation from having a robust social life at that age.

When I was a kid, we had all that, AND we were on a party line.

That's a sad view of the world. :(

Well, I'm old enough to be your mom. And yeah, I used to play outside most of the day. That was back when it was safe to do so, granted. Nobody worried about drug dealers or kidnappers or gang warfare around here. And when I lived on the acreage sure, there were wild animals to be careful of - but I always obeyed my parents' rules about never going beyond the tree line and always staying within shouting range of the house (unless I went up the road to visit the neighbor, and then I'd always ride my bike).

That's not to say I didn't also have fun indoors. But that was pretty tame, since I had books to read, coloring books, and games. This was in the days before we had cable TV, and we had to make our own fun.

I was without phone service for over a week this month, and it caused me no end of frustration - but that's because I had moving-related calls to make and no way to make them. So I ended up physically going around to various businesses, and spending insane amounts of money on pay phones. As for internet - being without that does put me on edge. I get irritable and anxious, because it's my link to so many things I do now - some necessary, like banking and keeping in touch with the government departments handling my dad's case and my grandmother's estate, and others like Freecycle and my forum activities. Yes, I did a lot of reading during my 'net-less time, but I would have read those books anyway.

I've been looking into getting a cell phone, and this is what I tell the salespeople. I don't want to text, I don't want to surf the 'net - I just want to be able to call a taxi or make some other phone call if absolutely necessary. Pay phones are an endangered species around here, partly because of the proliferation of cell phones, and partly because nearby businesses want them removed due to the drug dealers using them.

12. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

I don't think any of these options fit. I think the correct answer is "It depends."

As a homeschooled kid, I never REALLY needed a phone until this year when I went to public school. I was able to use one of my parents phones when I wanted to talk to a friend (Which wasn't all THAT often) and I never had one until I was 16. Even now, I TECHNICALLY don't have one, though there is a phone that I pretty much exclusively use.

It could be younger for some people (Probably most) on occasion it would be older:

I'd say to have a phone he'd need to be able to answer yes, honestly, to at LEAST one of the following, possibly more. If he answers yes to all 4, he should definitely be allowed, otherwise, maybe depending on which ones:

1. Do I have a need for a phone?

2. Will I be Responsible to Take Care of the Phone?

3. Will I use the phone only as much as permitted? (Probably not applicable if you say yes to #4.)

4. Can I pay for the phone/minutes myself?

I'd say if you can say "Yes" to #4 you should definitely be allowed. However, I think if you can say yes to the first 3 and the parent can afford it, I see no problem with it.

13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

A friend or a phone? :crazyeye:

So you're in public school now? Which grade?

14. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

Phone:lol:

The same number that corresponds with a Hobbit's third meal:p

15. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

One day or another, some company will invent the GPS phone for kids below 6 years old. It won't be a phone to allow kids to call their buddies of course, but simply for parents to locate and keep contact at any time, no matter what happens.

16. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

Eh, I believe they have that already. Its a phone that has a tracking device and three buttons, one to the police and the other two to be selected by the parents.

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I never felt the need for a phone as I dont go out really or have anyone to talk to. Although I got one last year because often classes would be cancelled and Id have no way to contact my mom to have her come pick me up and once I got sick and fell down in the hallway and my mom was at the grocery store.

18. jtb1127

jtb1127 Chieftain

http://www.accutracking.com/

19. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Moderator

Isn't that basically a TACBE?... do you use those over your side of the pond, actually?