1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When starting next to El Dorado, what do you use the money for?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by tkorsvold, Apr 18, 2011.

1. tkorsvold

tkorsvold Chieftain

Hello,

I've had a couple of really lucky starts lately, with my first city just a few tiles away from the El Dorado natural wonder that gives 500 gold. So, what do you Civ veterans usually spend the money on when you get 500 gold on turn 2 or 3?

I always rushbuy either a settler or a worker, depends.
    But I'm still not sure which one is best...

T

2. 1TimeCivPlaya

1TimeCivPlaya Chieftain

it really depends on what difficulty your at.

3. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Settler ususally. Sometimes 250 can go to a CS if its early enough, turn 19 IIRC.

4. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

The interesting question is what to spend it on if you're playing OCC. I'd recommend Granary if you have Wheat/Deer/Bananas, and a Worker if you don't.

If you're not playing OCC, you should buy a Settler as long as your landmass has somewhere to put it.

5. Thry

Thry Warlord

I usually put the money in trust fund, in case some of my people were to contaminate me with AIDS along the way.

I would REX, the trust fund money is enough to last you until the medieval age, if you play your cards right.

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

there's good ideas up there. You could also use it to buy up a series of RAs right after you hit Philosophy or earlier if the AI got there first.

7. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

A settler is almost always the best choice. City now is better than city later.

8. neilkaz

neilkaz King

I've gone after a very quick alliance with a cultural CS that will hook up a needed luxury and is not hostile with the 500G a couple of times for early culture to rocket me thru Liberty and then into Patronage.

However, I think a quick early 2nd city is likely to have even more ROI long term.

.. neilkaz ..

9. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Personally I build NC first. And I usually don't need farms that early. So since my first tech is the one that gives libraries, so I'd use it to rush one as soon as I finish researching it so I can start the NC several turns earlier than normal.

10. walkerjks

walkerjks King

Settler, unless you have a very good reason to avoid it (NC first or OCC culture game). In those cases, rushing a library to speed up NC probably makes sense.

Oh, and I suppose there are some crazy (to me) early domination strategies that would simply say "buy units".

11. lawofqr

lawofqr Chieftain

Yes, duel domination games.

12. Smote

Smote Emperor

Just buy anything you would produce normally in order to be ahead in econ, or if its a 1v1, perhaps go all-in and try to win.

13. Unhappy Ood

Unhappy Ood Chieftain

First of all congratulations - I have only managed to be first to El Darado twice in last 50 or some games. Depends on what strategy you are using. Buying a library after you research writing will give you an 8-14 turn headstart on getting National College. Another option is to buy a settler once you have researched iron working if you are planning a swordsmen/longswordmen rush

14. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Never a settler as I will only build one other city (and capture a capital). I always save gold for City-States.

15. MykC

MykC Warlord

If I am Siam or Alex and I've found a maritime city or culture city, I'll invest into that.

16. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

In most cases, a Worker. Improved tiles will get me that Granary and Library faster, and by the time I know where I want my second city, I'll be at 500 gold again.