1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

When the Treasury Runs Dry?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Tacit_Exit, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit King

Whats supposed to happen when you run out of money and your GPT is negative?

Playing Sid level C3C 1.13 and the answer appears to be NOTHING!

Does it have to last over many turns before 'bad stuff' starts to happen?

:confused:

2. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

IIRC Your improvements and units get disbanded.

3. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

I beleive the computer picks out one improvement to disband per turn.

This leads to an interesting strategy - running negative deficit and only losing one improvement per turn. So if you really need that tech right away, you can run 100% science for a few turns and not have that much losses...

4. royb

royb Regent!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    On cheftain, you don't lose ANYTHING!!!

5. ArbitraryGuy

ArbitraryGuy Rusty Shackleford?

You could also loose military units or workers, if you don't have improvements.

6. akillias

akillias Prince

in the REAL world you get into deficit, i think Japan is the only country without any deficit.

7. Scop

Scop Chieftain

A quick Google search disagreed with you. The article here was of particular interest. It's a little old, but it's not like $6.3 trillion is going to be repaid overnight!

If you want a country with a low debt, try a Scandanavian country. I've heard some of those have debts in the millions of dollars instead of trillions. In fact, another quick search reveals that Norway has no national debt.

8. meltone1

meltone1 Civophile

Ya, I'd like to see the concept of a deficit be implemented; maybe only available with more advanced governments.

9. DaleSwanson

DaleSwanson Chieftain

Yeah, that would be nice. I say when you learn economy. You can run the debt as much as you want but it has something like 1% per turn interest, and it should make people unhappy.

10. Park Ranger

Park Ranger Wonder hog

You mean "debt", don't you? As in the accumulation of deficit spending over more than one turn?

It would be easy to do in MP - one player simply "loans" out gold for the promise of repayment; the only coding would be to allow a dialog box to set interest rates and then a tally sheet to keep track of what is owed. It would be up to the players to take actions - either collectively or unilaterally - for late payments/defaults. And up to the players to decide if a defaulting player's reputation warrants further loans or not.

Probably a nightmare to program AIs to handle this, though.

11. DaleSwanson

DaleSwanson Chieftain

The thing is debt is usally not owed to other nations, it's usally owed to itself. For instance when you buy a bond for say 50 bucks, and in 30 years it is worth 100, you are loaning the US government 50 bucks, and they promise to pay you back 100 in 30 years. They then sell more bonds to pay off all these 100 ones maturing, and the debt grows. To get out of it they need a big surpluss of money and need to spend it on the debt. Which is a problem because it seems like the debt can kind of just hang around forever, just keep selling more bonds and it'll be fine, so no one wants to spend money that could go to making people happy, or whatever, on gettting rid of the debt.

That being said, I think you should be able to just run into the negative, and a small interest rate would cause your debt to grow even if you get rid of the deficit. People would start to become angry, just like war weariness. It could end up causing your whole civ to crumble, if you have a big debt, every one get pissed, then you are making even less money, you'll soon have a major problem.

If the debt is just a loan from the other civs then its really no different than a loan is now. Except you wouldn't have to pay them back right away, I guess that could be nice. They would just get more and more annoyed at you and keep demanding you pay, all the while the debt would grow more and more. Eventully war would be the only way out.