When things become obsolete?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by patrickkrebs, Jun 16, 2006.

1. patrickkrebs

patrickkrebs Warlord

When they say the obelsik becomes obsolete, what exactly exactly does that mean? Does it stop producing culture? I thought as things got older they produce more culture.

2. jac0001

jac0001 Chieftain

Not sure about culture but the effect that the wonder has stops working.

3. Paeanblack

Paeanblack Prince

Obsolete obelisks just means you can't build new ones. Existing ones still produce culture.

The game is not totally consistent with the effects of obsoletion. In the case of monasteries, you lose the +10% science, but can still build missionaries. In most cases, however, you lose all special abilities of the building, but keep the culture generation.

4. bfordyce

bfordyce Chieftain

I think the latest patch makes the wonders still generate great people too. This might've initially been obsoleted.

Really, in Civ IV, few wonders actually do that much more than culture and great people.. There's that one wonder that gives you an Oblisk in every city. I imagine when that's obseleted, you no longer get an Oblisk in every city.

My guess is that they still generate culture.

5. nealhunt

nealhunt Warlord

The obelisks disappear when Stonehenge obsoletes. No more culture benefits (except for the culture that Stonehenge itself generates).

6. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

Hmmm this is very difficult I wish i knew the answer some people say it does some people say it dosen't :((

7. Andrei_V

Andrei_V King

If you build an Obelisk, it does not become obsolete. It keeps generating culture (even doubles every 1000 years or so). You just cannot build Obelisks anymore after Calendar.

If you get a free Obelisk from Stonehenge, it just disappears after Calendar (too bad if the city has not yet border-expanded). The Stonehenge itself keeps generating culture and GP points.

8. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

Ah so if you get your obliesk from Stonehenge those Free Obliesks will just disappear and not give you culture

9. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Are you sure? Dang, and I kept building those Monasteries before I researched Scientific Method. :crazyeye: